IGNORED

any users reviews of Uptone Power Supply and mac kit?

Hello,

I'm about to hop on board and order Alex's Power supply and mac connection kit...would welcome any current user's comments or advice. Was the kit easy to install? Sound is good?

Regards,

Warren

Perhaps they are all too busy enjoying their music collection anew ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Just completed the installation.

It was tricky, required a lot of concentration and a steady hand. But everything went without a hitch.

Soundwise I can’t comment yet. I haven’t turned my setup on since July... But after 20 minutes I can sense a delicacy and intimacy that wasn’t there before.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Just completed the installation.

It was tricky, required a lot of concentration and a steady hand. But everything went without a hitch.

Soundwise I can’t comment yet. I haven’t turned my setup on since July... But after 20 minutes I can sense a delicacy and intimacy that wasn’t there before.

Did you try listening, with and without the Kelvin Sensor, and roughly how many hours do you have on the PSU ?

Normally, a PSU with sufficient hours on it is pretty good right from switch on, as distinct from Power amplifiers and Preamplifiers which may take minutes to thermally stabilise.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Do they break them in?

Did you try listening, with and without the Kelvin Sensor, and roughly how many hours do you have on the PSU ?

Normally, a PSU with sufficient hours on it is pretty good right from switch on, as distinct from Power amplifiers and Preamplifiers which may take minutes to thermally stabilise.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

The JS-2 has been powered up since I got it in July. I breafly ran a harddisk on it. Maybe it will need more break in? No Kelvin Sensor tests yet.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

It ought to be more than run in by now...

The JS-2 has been powered up since I got it in July. I breafly ran a harddisk on it. Maybe it will need more break in? No Kelvin Sensor tests yet.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Granted, I'm biased, but I can tell you that the linear fan controller of the Mac mini Kit and the R-core in the JS-2 itself make a FAR greater SQ difference than the pseudo-Kelvin-sense remote voltage/current feedback feature. Maybe if I was not already supplying a fancy 15AWG shielded DC cable and someone was running a 15-foot 18AWG line the effect would be more noticeable.

In any case, you can readily measure the difference as the sense line does eliminate the few tenths voltage droop at the end of the cable. If I get my act together and design little cases for the promised 'Sense Cubes', then people would be able to use the feature to set more custom voltages (anything from 1.25V up to about 14V) by choice of resistor.

It ought to be more than run in by now...

I don't think the JS-2 itself needs much if any break-in after it leaves my bench. I run both outputs of every unit for at least one hour at over 5 amps continuous. I do so at 5V, the setting requiring the most heat dissipation (and measure/record the temperature differential between the regulator tabs and the outside of the heatsink). The chassis get too hot to even touch!

If I get my act together and design little cases for the promised 'Sense Cubes', then people would be able to use the feature to set more custom voltages (anything from 1.25V up to about 14V) by choice of resistor.

Sounds like a good plan !!!

I agree that the R-Core and Linear Fan Controller would make the greatest contribution, but the little added contribution from the Kelvin Sensor should be the icing on the cake, as it all adds up.

Perhaps the subtle warm up improvements noted are more due to stabilisation of Xtal Oscillators etc. that are now better revealed ?

I have both the JS-2 and the Mac Mini Kit (MMK). Alex can confirm, but I believe I was one of the earlier/earliest orderers of both. I wasn’t able to run the JS-2 til I got the MMK, but I installed the MMK as soon as I got it. I have been travelling a fair bit since I received / installed the MMK, so was waiting to post a more extensive reply til I got the opportunity to listen more and gather my thoughts more. In any event, I haven’t done testing without the kelvin sense circuit.

First, let me say that like all other modifications, the impact may be driven by your system and the type of sound you are going for. In my system, I am going for a tube / analog – type sound. I run my Mac Mini (with external NAS) into an Audio Note DAC, from there into 300B mono blocks, from there into Audio Note speakers. I listen primarily to jazz, classical and rock, in no particular order.

Different types of music make the impact of the JS-2 / MMK more or less apparent. The effect is most apparent when I am listening to Jazz, like the HDTracks versions of Kind of Blue and Giant Steps. The bass comes off as tighter and more focused. Similarly, on the recent Zepplin issues and Jackson Browne’s Running on Empty, the sound becomes more focused. The overall warmth of the tube system becomes somewhat more balanced, without losing the treble / midrange sound of the 300B that I love. Alex can perhaps provide a link to his post over the summer where he talked about his findings as well when using the JS-2. All in all, I think it is quite a worthwhile addition, and I would have no second thoughts about purchasing again.

Let me say a word about the installation. I found the ifixit pictures to be quite helpful, and I believe Alex will ultimately update his installation guide to include pictures. In the meantime, the textual explanation is quite clear and comprehensible. (I am not an engineer or technically oriented, so this is saying something.) The parts inside are somewhat small, though, and the hardest part is getting the IR wires off without busting the IR sensor. I was not able to do this, but the only impact is that I can’t use the apple remote and have lost the front light; everything else (inc. bluetooth functionality and wi-fi) works without a problem.

Finally, although I can update this post later if people prefer, I haven’t found the sound to change over time as it has broken in, which seems to be Alex’s experience as well.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only answer the original question in the first post in a rather roundabout way, since I have only the MMK, without a JS2. However my experience with Paul Hynes linear supplies, initially the small SR3, but now the SR5, has been that the difference they make to the Mini (2009, 2010 and 2012) sound is spectacular. Before I had one of these the sound of a CD on a Linn Ikemi (the best-but-one of Linn until they gave up making CD players) was always better, and mostly much better, than anything I could get from a rip of the same track on a Mac, both sources feeding the same DAC. However the small 2a SR3 turned this around completely- the 2009 Mini I had then wiped the floor with the Ikemi, and I have not played a lot of CDs since. Moving up in power, either to a Mojo or to a Paul Hynes SR5, gave another improvement, though not so spectacular. On another thread tranz has reported big improvements to the sound by replacing the Apple PS with a Keces supply, so I have no reason to suppose that you won't get the same sort of performance lift out of the JS2 (and you get 2 supplies in one).

Following the lines indicated by tranz, I disconnected the internal fan and powered it externally with dc. This gave an improvement similar to that between the SR3 and SR5, i.e. definitely worthwhile, though not as spectacular as the effect from putting the small linear supply in. However, this dc trick has the downside that you lose control of the fan cooling, so if you increase the computing load on the CPU, e.g. by streaming video, you need to watch temperatures very carefully.

The MMK gives exactly the same improvement to SQ that external powering of the fan does, but with the enormous psychological advantage that you can listen to the music without worrying that the Mini will go up in flames. I'm not going back to my old external fan power, and there is one less box in the rig.

What about fitting? I have had a bit of practise in pulling minis apart, and I agree that the ifixit pictures are good (though their descriptions always make the job sound easier than it really is!). The 2012 is much easier than the 2010 because you only have the fan and IR connectors to lift off, but even so, I don't enjoy this. I have given up on using a spudger for lifting the tricky IR connector- there is a better tool (thin-edged soft plastic) which comes as part of OWC's kit for installing a second HDD/SD; they might be prepared to sell it separately if enough people ask.

This connector lifting is not a problem specific to the MMK- you hit this whenever you want to modify a Mini. I found the actual assembly of the MMK to be very well described and straightforward; if you can get the Mini apart, you won't have problems with the rest. The instructions mention that re-assembly of the Wi-Fi board connector is not easy. I agree, but I didn't need to, because I've taken the board out, for the very good reason that that gives another useful SQ improvement. I run the Mini headless via an Ethernet bridge- I use an Airport Express, but only because I had one around.

To anybody thinking of buying the complete setup- I don't think you'll regret it.

However, this dc trick has the downside that you lose control of the fan cooling, so if you increase the computing load on the CPU, e.g. by streaming video, you need to watch temperatures very carefully.

Some aftermarket fans are supplied with both a rheostat for speed control, and a thermistor. A thermistor could be used to help control fan speed during processor intensive tasks, without losing the advantages of a DC supply to the fan.

It is even possible to use a thermistor controlled fan for the Processor, with the thermistor attached to it's heatsink.

In that case the PCs normal +12V supply could be used.

Alex

The MMK gives exactly the same improvement to SQ that external powering of the fan does, but with the enormous psychological advantage that you can listen to the music without worrying that the Mini will go up in flames. I'm not going back to my old external fan power, and there is one less box in the rig.

What about fitting? I have had a bit of practise in pulling minis apart, and I agree that the ifixit pictures are good (though their descriptions always make the job sound easier than it really is!). The 2012 is much easier than the 2010 because you only have the fan and IR connectors to lift off, but even so, I don't enjoy this. I have given up on using a spudger for lifting the tricky IR connector- there is a better tool (thin-edged soft plastic) which comes as part of OWC's kit for installing a second HDD/SD; they might be prepared to sell it separately if enough people ask.

….

To anybody thinking of buying the complete setup- I don't think you'll regret it.

Thanks for the kind words Bob!

Full disclosure: Bob received his MMK from me for free. Not because he asked, and not because of any promise of a report. Rather it was a "thank you" gift I insisted upon giving him for being my original inspiration towards looking into the issue of the Mac mini's PWM fan (the end result being Swenson's very creative circuit for linear fan control eliminating all the high-current pulses). This was back about 6 months ago in the thread Tranz started on a Mac mini "CAPS." He posted a long fan experiment report (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/mac-mini-version-computer-audiophile-pocket-server-music-server-step-step-17666/index6.html#post316327), and then John and I jumped on it with our own tests (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/mac-mini-version-computer-audiophile-pocket-server-music-server-step-step-17666/index6.html#post316327).

Bob said to omit from his gift box the Mac mini toolkit that I normally include with every MMK. Aside from the correct Torx and hex drivers and motherboard pull tool, it includes two pointed and flat double-ended "spudgers" and a couple of guitar-pick-looking triangular tools. And my verbose yet clear 11-page installation guide is filled with tips every step of the way.

Some aftermarket fans are supplied with both a rheostat for speed control, and a thermistor. A thermistor could be used to help control fan speed during processor intensive tasks, without losing the advantages of a DC supply to the fan.

It is even possible to use a thermistor controlled fan for the Processor, with the thermistor attached to it's heatsink.

In that case the PCs normal +12V supply could be used.

Alex

Interesting idea if you are building from scratch, but could you find such a fan to fit inside the Mini? The Mini is a remarkably house-trained computer which looks well on a bookshelf or rack, and the point of the other Alex's MMK board is to keep it that way. However, it would be nice if the 12v supply could be recycled for something!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just install the MMK kit from Uptone Audio.

What to say ? to my opinion, it's a must have for the Mac mini !

I was septic but it works.

The music is more sweet (not harsh any more), more space and aeration, no more bass blurring.

Good improvement. maybe as good as my clone audio LPSU.

For people who do not understand english very well, maybe alex can put some picture in the installation book.

Pascal

Windows PC server/ Target PC Diretta / Audirvana/ DAC W4S 10th anniversary/ Jadis DA60 / Wilson Audio Sophia 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Since I found about the JS2 (and MMK) through these forums, it seems only fair to post a review.

I have a Weiss DAC202, which is very sensitive to the incoming signal. It can sound quite poor with bad sources and really amazing with proper sources. While looking for ways to improve my Mac Mini source/transport, I came across the JS2 and accompanying MMK.

I contacted UptoneAudio/Alex and he was great at answering any questions I had.

I was a bit skeptical at first, as funds are not unlimited, and I have to carefully think on what to upgrade next, but decided to take the plunge here.

The JS2 shipped quickly. When it arrived, and I had it hooked up, there seemed to be a problem with the linear fan controller. Alex was quick to help out, and offered to send a replacement. While waiting for the replacement, I listened to the mini with JS2, but without the fan controller. This was already quite impressive, and way better than I've heard before. I also have an Oppo transport going into the same DAC, and the Mini was now even more clearly beating it.

Then, about a week later, the linear fan controller arrived. I had it connected in about 15 mins or so, so it was easy to compare before and after. The difference was.. amazing! I was already happy with the JS2, but this really takes it to the next level.

With the fan controller installed, everything suddenly felt right. You know, when you really don't want to stop listening..

Blacker backgrounds, better dynamics and voices are so realistic it's almost scary

Absolutely the best I've ever heard from my system. There are no trade-offs, it's better on every level.

As I said, the Weiss is quite sensitive, so as always, YMMV, but I'd highly recommend this to any Mac Mini user

The JS2 shipped quickly. When it arrived, and I had it hooked up, there seemed to be a problem with the linear fan controller. Alex was quick to help out, and offered to send a replacement. While waiting for the replacement, I listened to the mini with JS2, but without the fan controller. This was already quite impressive, and way better than I've heard before. I also have an Oppo transport going into the same DAC, and the Mini was now even more clearly beating it.[/font][/color]

Then, about a week later, the linear fan controller arrived. I had it connected in about 15 mins or so, so it was easy to compare before and after. The difference was.. amazing! I was already happy with the JS2, but this really takes it to the next level.

With the fan controller installed, everything suddenly felt right. You know, when you really don't want to stop listening..

Blacker backgrounds, better dynamics and voices are so realistic it's almost scary

Absolutely the best I've ever heard from my system. There are no trade-offs, it's better on every level.

As I said, the Weiss is quite sensitive, so as always, YMMV, but I'd highly recommend this to any Mac Mini user

Thank you Sander and Pascal for your kind words.

Sander's is an interesting case in that he had an opportunity to compare his Mac mini--powered by our 5A, dual-output, choke-filtered LPS--both without and with the unique Linear Fan Controller circuit hooked up. Of course I myself did that comparison in development, but it is fun to have someone else directly comment on the fan controller's contribution while using a JS-2 supply.

I want to take this opportunity to clear up a couple of misconceptions that come up often when people inquire about the Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK):

1) People often ask if the MMK is compatible with the DC conversion kit they installed to use someone else's external LPS. The answer is no.

The MMK is itself a DC-converison kit (one that requires no soldering or wire cutting--so the Mac mini can be returned to stock and the kit moved to a newer machine). It goes in the space that the Apple SMPS gets removed from. Our linear fan controller circuit (which eliminates the nasty 25KHz, 0.5A DC pulses going between the fan and motherboard) is part of the main MMK DC-conversion board.

Removal of other brands of DC-conversion kits to make room for an MMK is generally quite simple. As long as nobody desoldered the actual connector on the motherboard (never seen that!). As long as you still have the 4-inch 9-wire Apple power cable that originally went between the motherboard and the SMPS, then you can install the MMK. (It may still be plugged into your previously removed SMPS, but even if you don't have that anymore, that Apple cable can be purchased online for about $15)

2) When people see two connectors coming out of the MMK (to the outside), they wonder if that means the fan and the computer need separate power lines to run on. The answer is also no.

Only one 12VDC cable goes to the MMK (to it's 5.5mm x 2.5mm DC bar ell jack), and that powers both the computer and the fan circuit (though of course the fan is provided with smooth variable DC power to control its speed--based on signaling from the motherboard and the fan's tachometer).

The second connector that you see (an SMA-size coaxial jack) is for optional use with the Kelvin-Sense voltage/current sense line of a JS-2 power supply. (When that is hooked up, resistors on the MMK become part of one of the JS-2 regulator's feedback circuit and tell the supply what voltage to maintain. It makes a small difference--mainly in the bass--but nearly the difference that JS-2's R-core transformer or other circuit design features do.)

3) I think most are aware, but I'll restate it here: A Mac mini with an UpTone MMK installed can be powered by any +12V DC external power supply (one capable of at least 4 amps continuous is recommended, though the mini will never draw that much). Of course we think the JS-2 sounds best (and its second output is awesome for a headphone amp, a USB>S/PDIF converter, small DAC, or hard drives--anything requiring +DC at 5,7,9, or 12V), but you are not at all limited.

4) The MMK does work with the new 2014 Mac mini--as well as the 2010, 2011, 2012 that were out when we did the design.

Lastly, Sander may have added to the confusion by saying that I shipped him a replacement fan controller board--while he was still using the MMK with the JS-2.

What really happened was this:

Apple uses a lot of the Molex PicoEZ-mate surface mount connectors and flush mount mating plugs. You see them in their laptops, the mini, the iMac, etc. They are not very rugged in that they solder to the circuit board only by their contact pins and by 2 small flush pins at the other corners. Removing a cable from one of them requires care, and if the connector is not very secure, they will pop off the circuit board too easily.

Anyway, the MMK uses these connectors as well because we supply a very small PCB as an intermediary connector board since the cable on the Apple fan is too shore to reach the main MMK conversion/fan controller circuit board, and since we run a short cable back to the motherboard where the fan had been plugged into.

Apparently, Sander positioned the intermediary board in such a way that the bottom cover pushed on one of the PicoEZ-mate connectors. The fan worked fine at first then went full speed. The cause was obvious when he removed the bottom cover. Of the many kits I have sold, this is the first time this has happened. Here is a picture (of a board I sacrificed) to show what happened:

P1080456.JPG

So while he waited for the mail to arrive with a tiny replacement board, he just plugged his fan back into the motherboard (and maybe he disconnected my out custom, shielded, flat-flexible cable that runs from the main board--or not, it does not matter). So then he was listening to the mini with JS-2 LPS into the MMK, but without the fan controller circuit hooked up.

And here are pictures of the complete MMK by itself (it also comes with a toolkit and detailed installation guide), and installed in a Mac mini (yes, the bottom cover does go back on; some people saw my cones and asked if that meant the cover has to stay off).

MMK installed.jpg

Please feel free to ask any other questions about the MMK. The verdict, with almost 50 boards sold and installed, is that the sonic improvement is a very real bargain.

UpTone MMK.jpg

Some members here have sent me a PM to confirm that our Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK) is compatible with the new 2014 Mac minis (in addition to the 2010/'11/'12 it was originally tested with. The 2014 fan and stock PS are the same as earlier years, as are the electrical connections. The main difference affecting installation of the MMK in a 2014 model is that Apple has omitted the plastic shroud over the heat pipes, and that was the location for mounting our tiny 15mm x 25mm connector board for the fan/motherboard cables on the 2010/'11/'12 models (as shown in above post photos).

This is not a problem, since the 2014 minis have their hard drive mounted underneath a new bracket--leaving the top side of the bracket clear for both their new PCIe Flash drive (also used when ordering a "Fusion" drive set up) and my tiny board.

Here is a photo taken by a CA member who just installed the MMK in his 2014 Mac mini:

MMK in 2014 mini small.jpg

And if you look at a photo of the 2014 Mac mini motherboard with their PCIe Flash drive strip attached to the top of the drive brackets, you can see that the small MMK board can coexist with a PCIe Flash if your machine has one. Our flat-flexible-cable is shielded, so running over across the PCIe Flash drive will have no effect.

2014 mini with PCIe Flash.jpg

Lastly, just a reminder, since this thread has mostly been discussing our JS-2 LPS in use with the MMK: I get a lot of e-mail asking if the JS-2 is somehow just for use with Mac systems. I guess this notion comes from discussion of the two used together. But there is nothing Mac-specific about the 5 amp JS-2, and at least half of the buyers so far have been using it to power a Windows or Linux CAPS, a DAC, a USB>S/PDIF converter, NAS, router, etc.

JS-2 sideways.jpg

Have a great weekend everybody!

--Alex

As a JS-2 owner, I can say that up to now I have been using it for many different scenarios and I really enjoy being able to use it for connecting different components with different voltage requirements.

I am thinking about adding a voltage controller for my music PC internal fans, something I have been procrastinating about for a while. For the moment I am using it mostly to power my external SSD drive, but the voltage controller will allow me to use the second connection. This is possible with the adjustment voltage that is possible for each connection.

I have a few linear PSU (iFi iUSB, Teddy Pardo) and I try to use them all with different configurations depending on the need of the moment. All I can say is that the JS-2 is the one I trust the most for its sturdiness but also for its different voltage possibilities.

The other thing I can add to my decision of going with the JS-2 is that Alex and John have shared a lot on CA with the theory and practice throughout the course of its making and even as an amateur I could perceive that this component would be almost an "investment" for all I could think of to connect.

Another factor that I like very much is that it is easy to find cables that can be used with it, making life a lot easier for using many other components (external CD/DVD reader-writer, external HD enclosure, even USB powered components with a "Y" cable, etc...).

In fact, I have been moving the JS-2 around depending on the task of the moment.

Now all I would need is maybe one or two more LPSU to power a few things in a permanent way (since I am moving my JS-2 PSU around). If Alex and John decide to make a one connection PSU, I would certainly get one or two of them ! :)

And BTW I am a Windows user :)

Alain

I've the MMK fan kit.

the JS-2 will arrive very very soon. I've already received the Customs tax .....

CloneAudio LPSU for QnapHS-251 fanless - UpTone JS2 for MacMini i7 (SD card only-CAD scripts-MMK fan kit-no disc inside- Audirvana2)- JS2 for REGEN - BelCantoRefLink-TotalDacD1tube(Mullard ECC82 NOS) //Halgorythme single end 300b EML //DiY Open Baffle & Leedh Elfe

Whee was the last time you did something for the first time?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

My JS-2 arrived last Thursday

after one week of warm-up, I can now give my first impressions.

JS-2 has replaced a Clone Audio PS (MacMini Supply) and a Teddy 12/4 (NAS). very good PS. I still love them.

My Mac Mini (Core i7) is now fully modified according to ComputerAudiophile/SuperDad suggestions

SD card with Mavericks - No disks inside the Mini - MMK fan kit - CAD optimisation scripts - SMA sense.

Audirvana 1.5.xx is my player - sometime Integer mode, sometime not. prefered version is 1.5.10.

this AudioGeek-Set is feeding a BelcantoReflink and a great TotalDac D1tube.

Music I listen is mainly 16/44 files coming from >2500CD rips.

I hate Jazz and variety charts. I Love Russian and Italian classical

but my favorite Music comes from Seattle-Portland Indie scene. I'm a kid of Punk Music scene of the 70's.

So what are my sonic Impression?

before to go in the details, I need to say that the TotalDac is a real veil lifter but he's very very demanding.

when I purchased it, I was a bit disappointed. something was wrong. hard to describe. at that time, the replacement of the PS was the only modification done to my Apple source.

After several weeks of trials, tests, changes (valves, cables....), I finally stated that the Mini was the guilty box, the black cat (French-English translation which means nothing for native english, i'm sure).

I decided after reading all the great topics on this forum to go further with the MAC according to Superdad's experiences.

JS2 supply is my last upgrade step. I'm so happy with it. I wait now for new ideas from Alex & John

I have now a source at the quality level of my TotalDac D1.

SDcard, MMK Fankit, JS2 & Optimisations scripts are really mandatory and will definitely turn a Mini into a great source, a high-end source.

after all these mods, the only thing you have to do is sit down, pour a glass of Quincy white wine, close eyes and listen. but be careful. you will become Music-Addict or Mac-holic.;;;; and drunk.

Bass are Strong, soft, ligth, heavy, greasy, tight, heady. foot tapping.foot tapping.foot tapping.foot tapping.

Medium and high pitched are never agressive or harsh. you know, this digital high frequencies fatiguing noise. It's gone. you can listen for hours and hours. it's now so natural

sound is very detailed, and musical at the same time. really delicate. For me, it's very rare. Usually details means HIFI but not melodious.

now, Musicians are here, in front of you. and the Public too if you're listening a Live recording. you are diving in the Music.

Live music recordings are now my favorite. No arrangements, it's raw and so natural. so pleasant, so great.

in the end, with all these optimisations, you can definitely forget all you Compact discs and also your 33RPM records.

It will give you the best of Digital and analogic worlds at the same time.

I was reviewing this text just before posting and there is an additional thing I did. Audirvana.

I'm still running a 1.5.xx version.

two days ago, I've consider that the JS2 burning was mature enough, I started to adjust Audirvana parameters.

I swapped from default settings to:

Steepness:0

filter max length 10 000

cutoff freq: 2x nyquist

Antialiasing 50 (mini)

Pre ring 0

no upsampling.

as a conclusion, what I can say is that Clone and TeddyPardo are very good Supplies, but The JS-2 is a step ahead.

@Agithos,

I do not know if it will reply to your NAS question.

I was not able to compare JS2/Teddy12-4 on my 114 Syno. The Teddy PS was already gone. but I have had compare on the Mini stand alone Teddy vs Clone vs JS2.

and result was Teddy < Clone < JS2. devil is in the details. difference is in the details too.

CloneAudio LPSU for QnapHS-251 fanless - UpTone JS2 for MacMini i7 (SD card only-CAD scripts-MMK fan kit-no disc inside- Audirvana2)- JS2 for REGEN - BelCantoRefLink-TotalDacD1tube(Mullard ECC82 NOS) //Halgorythme single end 300b EML //DiY Open Baffle & Leedh Elfe

Whee was the last time you did something for the first time?