IGNORED

DFF to DSF conversion

PhVL

OK, strange, because the only change is related to handling corrupt ID3v2 tags inside DFF. I'll check it...

I found the issue is relevant only for the 1st (input) DFF parameter. In the case of 2nd (output) DSF parameter spaces cause no troubles.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

You can try to run the tool from command line. Write cmd in the search box, open Command Prompt window. Then run:

c:\ISO2DSF\iso2dsf.exe c:\ISO2DSF\my.iso

Write correct pathname to your ISO instead of c:\ISO2DSF\my.iso

You can try also to open the Command Prompt window as Administrator and then try the same in it. cmd in the search box, then right click on the 'Command Prompt' search result, choose Run as administrator from the context menu and then run the above command.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

yazsan55, I asked few my friends for the album and I succeeded, so I could test with ISO "DAVE BRUBECK", "TIME OUT", CATALOG SRGS4535. According to the catalog number from the CUE sheet you sent me yesterday it is the same SACD as yours. ISO2DSF run as expected on my PC. No troubles.

So my result is that something non-standard is configured on your PC. I cannot reproduce your issue. Try it on other computer, or ask someone familiar with computer configuration near you.

All my problems with it were solved when I moved the folder it was in to the root directory of the drive. Instead of a subfolder. Now it works exactly as advertised.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hello firedog,

How far did you move the folder?

C:\ISO2DSF for example would be fine do you think?

That's what worked for me. Whether it will work in a subfolder I think depends on the length to the folder-file names that result. The program can't deal with names (total length of pathway) over a certain length.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi Bogi,

Just tried out your nifty tool today, of course with thanks also to Miska and Mr Wicked. I am on all latest versions. Couple of issues i ran into. As background i listen to a lot of opera especially in German, so the titles are long and there are lots of special characters like umlauts.

1. I was getting "Unknown Album - Unknown Artist" extractions where the tool would extract everything but every track was unnamed. The only way to fix it was to shorten the name of the ISO file. I had the albumtitle_length parameter at 30 or 50, did not matter, still "Unknown" album and tracks, unless I shortened the ISO file name. Then everything extracted with Album and track labels.

Running sacd_extract command line either dsf or dff extract has no problems.

2. which brings me to my second issue - the German special characters, which sacd_extract handles just fine, are now replaced by weird characters in the metadata, or spaces in the file name, which makes opera track titles almost unreadable because there are a lot of those German characters in Wagner opera track titles! In the metadata, instead of Götterdämmerung it displays as Götterdämmerung. File name would be G tterd mmerung. sacd_extract passes those characters properly.

Is there a way to set a parameter so that there is the option to pass all the special characters like the ö and ä in Götterdämmerung?

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Yeang

Hi Yeang, special characters are not so easy topic. I found for example, that sacd_extract.exe doesn't work from command line when path to ISO contains characters from extended ASCII set (decimal codes 128-255) or Unicode characters, despite of they are supported by NTFS and other modern file systems.

I found also that standard Perl libraries I am using for example to handle pathnames also don't support extended ASCII and Unicode. I do no special action in the ISO2DSF code to change characters like ö or ä. If they are transformed to something other, it's result of Perl libraries I am using. I need to do some filtering in the case of filenames, because some characters are not allowed for file names.

I don't wish to invest too much to this topic, as the tool works for me as I expect. I converted tens of ISO images without any troubles. They are mostly from rock music area, where so long metadata with language specific characters mostly doesn't occur. Other aspect is that the DSF filenames itself aren't so important as the metadata stored in DSF files. When you load DSF files (for example an music album) in your SW player, it shows the embedded metadata. Is that metadata correct?

Try to load the resulting DSF files in MP3tag application. Then select them all. If the embedded metadata contains correct language specific characters like ö or ä, you can use Convert -> Tag - Filename menu item and format string like

%track%. %title%

or for example

%track% - %title%

as you wish. It will result to renaming your DSF files according to embedded metadata. Try it please and let me know.

Hi Bogi!

Thanks for the info and reply. The metadata is the one that shows the weird characters like Götterdämmerung. The file names just have spaces where the umlaut characters are.

I might just have to do command line sacd_extract to DFF and then use Miska's DFF2DSF for these ones. I could theoretically do sacd_extract to DSF, then copy the metadata, then sacd_extract to DFF, convert to DSF and paste the metadata right?

Thanks!

Yeang

Please extract CUE sheet from your ISO with command

sacd_extract -C -i <ISO>

I am using that CUE sheet as metadata input for my script.

Does Götterdämmerung appear already in the CUE sheet?

Please send me the CUE sheet, I can use it for testing.

Just extracted it Bogi. How can I send it to you? I can only attach images and videos here.

The .cue file extracted from sacd_extract commandline has all the normal correct German characters, none of the ö or à as I see from the ISO2DSF output.

Change file extension to .txt then recipient changes it back to .cue

Yeang, by default, ISO2DSF creates CUE sheet for the DSF files, if you don't disable it. That's a little bit different CUE sheet that the one you created with sacd_extract. Does the ISO2DSF CUE sheet contain correct characters?

Hi,

i have a collection of DSF files that I'd like to convert to DSS. These did not come from SACD ripping. Is there a program that will convert to DSS so the tags will stick permanently? I know one can add tags in JRiver but because they are DSF the tags won't stick if Library is rescanned or moved to another drive. Then all ones work disappears.

Thanks.

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Hi,

i have a collection of DSF files that I'd like to convert to DSS. These did not come from SACD ripping. Is there a program that will convert to DSS so the tags will stick permanently? I know one can add tags in JRiver but because they are DSF the tags won't stick if Library is rescanned or moved to another drive. Then all ones work disappears.

Thanks.

I had the issue of not transferring DSF tags with Jriver. Luckily mp3tag now supports DSF and transports easily from place to place with metadata totally intact.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Yes. DSF tags will stick. It is the DFF files that have no provision for converting to DSF so they can be tagged. I've used MP3Tag good program. Just won't do the trick.

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel