IGNORED

DFF to DSF conversion

PhVL

Hi,

Is it possible to convert DFF files to DSF?

If possible; can someone tell me if there are programs that i can try before i buy.

Thanks in advance

Philippe

Synology DS 1513 +

Room 1: Mac Mini (Yosemite) --- Nagra HD Dac --- Nagra Jazz --- 2x Devialet 400 --- Sonus Faber Olympica III

Office: Mac Mini --- Meridan 818 V2 --- Vincent SA 93 Plus --- 2x Vincent SP 995 --- Audio Physics Tempo 25 Plus

Car Hifi: Burmester Sound System

Korg AudioGate

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

Here's one for a mac not tried it though

Utilities | 2ManyRobots

down the bottom of the page is the dff2dsf converter.

Paul

Thanks alot Paul. I give it a try.

Philippe

Synology DS 1513 +

Room 1: Mac Mini (Yosemite) --- Nagra HD Dac --- Nagra Jazz --- 2x Devialet 400 --- Sonus Faber Olympica III

Office: Mac Mini --- Meridan 818 V2 --- Vincent SA 93 Plus --- 2x Vincent SP 995 --- Audio Physics Tempo 25 Plus

Korg AudioGate

Thanks for the reply. I have Korg AudioGate, i forgot it. Stupid me.

Philippe

Synology DS 1513 +

How convert DFF to DSF (while under Windows)

Audiventory,

From what I can tell in your log (as I try to convert a folder of DFF to DSF) you are simply using the age-old DFF2WAV.exe, which is a PCM converter!!! This is not optimal high end conversion (your words) and no better than the non-recommended-by-JRiver JRiver utility. Please advise!

• 2 weeks later...

Ted,

Now AuI ConverteR 48x44 (v.3.8.8 and above) able connect dff2dsf utility as input decoder.

DFF -> dff2dsf -> intermediate DSF -> AuI (with or without sample rate conversion) -> DSF/PCM

If sample rate intermediate DSF is equal output sample rate then output DSF's audio data bit-to-bit as intermediate DSF's audio data.

Using dsf2dff via AuI get graphical user interface and 1-bit sample rate conversion.

How connect dff2dsf read here Conversion DFF to DSF. 3 ways for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux

Best regards,

Yuri

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Atatched you can find my new version v1.1.0. It allows to use 'Send to' menu to sequentially process list of selected DFF files, for example of one music album.

DFFtoDSF.png

For users of previous versions: simply copy new files over old ones and run the bat file again. No need to use 'Run as administrator' anymore.

Please give me your feedback, any comments and suggestions are welcome.

DFF2DSF_context_menu_Win7_Win8_v110.zip

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Thanks to all for this very welcome program now Korg is no longer available.

I struggled to get the installation location exactly right so this is what I did,

but I am not getting the Bold option on right click a dff file. I get the 'dff2dsf.bat' option under 'open with' and the 'DFF to DSF' option under 'send to', see attached pics.

Both work but which is for single dff file conversion and which is for sequentially?

Example: Create a folder anywhere called ' dff2dsf AddContextMenuItem '

from the unzipped dff2dsf archive copy this file... dff2dsf.exe into the new folder,

from the unzipped other archive, ' 14704d1412103556-dff-dsf-conversion-dff2dsf_context_menu_win7_win8_v110 ' copy the 3 files in it to same folder ie ' dff2dsf AddContextMenuItem '

then run as administrator the AddContextMenuItem.bat file which is one of the 3 files.

Remember the 'Do not move location of the.....' instructions.

Final folder content after running the AddContextMenuItem.bat file looks like the attached pic.

Capture.JPG

open with.jpg

send to.jpg

paul3000h, glad to know it works for you!

You don't see the bold 'DFF to DSF' option because you have defined Foobar2000 as the default program to open DFF files.

In the 'Open with' submenu you can select 'Choose default program...' and then you can choose dff2dsf.bat from the tool folder. Then 'DFF to DSF' has to show in bold instead of Foobar2000. Or you can let it as it is, as you wish. The 'bold' option is provided only for quick access to single file conversion, otherwise you can always use the 'Send to' option.

You don't need to use 'Run as administrator' when launching AddContextMenuItem.bat or RemoveContextMenuItem.bat in this version v1.1.0. But it causes no issue if you do so.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
paul3000h, glad to know it works for you!

You don't see the bold 'DFF to DSF' option because you have defined Foobar2000 as the default program to open DFF files.

In the 'Open with' submenu you can select 'Choose default program...' and then you can choose dff2dsf.bat from the tool folder. Then 'DFF to DSF' has to show in bold instead of Foobar2000. Or you can let it as it is, as you wish. The 'bold' option is provided only for quick access to single file conversion, otherwise you can always use the 'Send to' option.

You don't need to use 'Run as administrator' when launching AddContextMenuItem.bat or RemoveContextMenuItem.bat in this version v1.1.0. But it causes no issue if you do so.

Thanks, understood.

I get the 'dff2dsf.bat' option under 'open with' and the 'DFF to DSF' option under 'send to', see attached (a bove) pics.

Both work but which is for single dff file conversion and which is for sequentially many files?

Your idea of "renaming the current menu item to 'DFF to DSF - this file' and adding yet one item 'DFF to DSF - this directory'." would be good, for certainty say 'this file only'

The 'Open with' option is the 'bold' option, but Windows always displays the default program for an file extension (Foobar2000 for DFF in your case) as bold. So it is intended for single file conversion.

The 'Send to' option is intended for multiple file conversion. You can use it also for single file conversion.

Find more information in the PDF document. Your picture with folder content shows previous version files before v1.1.0 installation. You can delete the readme file of the previous version, as it is now obsolete. Use the PDF document now.

Thanks again to all involved. We now no longer need the Korg Audiogate for dff to dsf conversion your way is just as easy now!

Could those affected check if the dsf files created this way are now exact copies from the iso and so free of the click/tick noise problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am so happy to learn about the dff vs. dsf and the click issue with dsf before I embark on ripping a big stack of sacds. I installed bogi's batch file and ran it successfully once and then keep getting issues that dff2dsf stops working. I am running Win 8.1 Professional. I tried to repair the program via the windows dialog -- but no help. I think the batch file is working -- I get the context menu choices and it starts dff2dsf but then get this message. Any help will be much appreciated.

dff2dsf-stopped-message.jpg

Here is the error message in the event log:

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category

Error 10/9/2014 10:45:49 AM Application Error 1000 (100) "Faulting application name: dff2dsf.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x541e955f

Faulting module name: dff2dsf.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x541e955f

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00004ef1

Faulting process id: 0xa44

Faulting application start time: 0x01cfe3cfb7790891

Faulting application path: C:\DFF-DSF\dff2dsf.exe

Faulting module path: C:\DFF-DSF\dff2dsf.exe

Report Id: f527f748-4fc2-11e4-82b3-f8b156b659aa

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID: "

many thanks, Stephanie

Hi Stephanie, I got such eror dialog only in the case when the input DFF contained compressed DST data and not uncompressed DSD data. I mean your issue is related to Miska's dff2dsf. If it would exit with an well defined exit status, I could process it and display a dialog box in this case.

Compressed DST data are contained in SACDs, which contain both multichannel and stereo tracks. There are some audio players which can show if a DFF file contains DSD or DST data, for example Foobar2000 in playlist Codes column, or in track properties.

I read about that but I did not expect 9 out of 10 of the SACD's I've ripped to be DST. Wow. Thanks for the tip about the Foobar Playlist Codec column. so handy. I will reread the back threads about this and hope there is a good tagging solution for SACD rips with DST data in them. Thank You!

Seems like I glossed over Ted's advice in the SACD Ripper Primer. Checking the DST to DSD Option in ISO2DSD produces dff files that can be converter to dsf via Miska's dff2dsf.

Has anyone found or heard a difference using or not using the DST to DSD converter option in ISO2DSD for stereo? for Multi channel?

Thanks again, Stephanie

Has anyone found or heard a difference using or not using the DST to DSD converter option in ISO2DSD for stereo? for Multi channel?

DST is lossless compression, so decompression results in original DSD stream.

I believe I already have a fix for that crash when input is DST. I'll see if I can also include speed improvement for the conversion before releasing update...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi, I have another question for Miska. Does DFF2DSF.exe work with multichannel DFF files? I ran the program from the command prompt to show that I can get it to work with a stereo file but not multichannel files. many thanks for any help here. Stephanie

dff2dsf-multi.jpg

Jussi, the previous DFF2DSF version processed multichannel DFF files correctly:

h:\tools\ISO2DSD>dff2dsf.exe "Unknown Album\01 - Sarah Brightman - La Luna.dff"

"Unknown Album\01 - Sarah Brightman - La Luna.dsf"

DFF2DSF v1.1.0

Copyright © 2014 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.

h:\tools\ISO2DSD>..\dff2dsf.exe "Unknown Album\01 - Sarah Brightman - La Luna.dff" "Unknown Album\01 - Sarah Brightman - La Luna.dsf"

DFF2DSF v1.2.0

Copyright © 2014 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.

exception: clDSDIFF::ReadRaw(): read size must be multiple of channels

h:\tools\ISO2DSD>