IGNORED

Connecting a Yamaha YST-SW012 Subwoofer to Computer

I am fairly new to computer speaker setups, and planning to add the YST-SW012 to an existing 2.0 speaker system. After having searched various forums with usually mixed information about connecting this subwoofer to a pc, I am unsure about this setup. Do I just connect the sub with the supplied cable to the center/subwoofer output on my sound card, or do I need a separate receiver or a different cable? Any help is appreciated.

I hope someone answers this! I have the exact same question. It looks like a decent powered sub.

I have a Lepai LP-2020A+ hooked to the standard green connector on my sound card, with Micca bookshelf speakers coming out of the mini amp.

I was wondering if the sub out on the soundcard will work right from the YST.

It seems I have answered my own post. I actually bought the YST-SW012 from a local ABC Warehouse store, and tried it out myself. Unfortunately, the supplied cable is an RCA cable, which won't fit into the sub output on a sound card, since it is meant for a 3.5mm cable. However, you can just buy an RCA to 3.5mm adapter or cable to connect it to the sound card, which I did, and it works perfectly, Also, if you have the Realtek HD Audio Manager software, you must set it to a 2.1 speaker configuration.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems I have answered my own post. I actually bought the YST-SW012 from a local ABC Warehouse store, and tried it out myself. Unfortunately, the supplied cable is an RCA cable, which won't fit into the sub output on a sound card, since it is meant for a 3.5mm cable. However, you can just buy an RCA to 3.5mm adapter or cable to connect it to the sound card, which I did, and it works perfectly, Also, if you have the Realtek HD Audio Manager software, you must set it to a 2.1 speaker configuration.

That is awesome!

So you are using your mobo's onboard audio. I have a Gigabye GA-MA790FX-DS5, with Realtek ALC889A onboard, but I have been using my old Soundblaster PCI-Express X-Fi Xtreme Audio. Not sure if the newer mobo's sound is better than the soundblaster...

I am likely going to get the Yamaha sub soon.

Thanks for the info!