IGNORED

AIFF, FLAC etc. convesion with XLD, MAX etc.

Jekson

Hi audiophiles!

I've some concerns about decompressed and lossless conversions using XLD, MAX and some other software.

So for example I have some hi-res FLAC audio files. If I convert them to AIFF, they will add in size as expected.

But if after I will compress these new AIFF files back to FLAC the new output files will be significantly smaller than original ones.

And if you'll continue this routine the decrease in size of original files also will occur. Depend on software you're using (I've tried XLD and MAX as a mac user, but I know that some win software exhibits same properties) the exact decrease in size will differ, but will occur anyway. So my question is how that happens and in this case don't these conversions really affect quality?

how that happens and in this case don't these conversions really affect quality?

Probably different (lossless) compression levels, or differences in metadata. Have you tried converting AIFF to FLAC and then back to AIFF? It should result in an identical bitstream (i.e. the actual audio data in the AIFF container), unless something is broken. That's why it's called lossless. The sound quality is not affected. Unless you're accidentally changing the sample rate or bit depth in the process of converting the file?