IGNORED

Suggestion about cheap Media Renderer / music player to connect to existing amplifier

Hi all,

I'm quite new to this field and I'm a bit confused by the large amount of products available on the market.

I'm looking for a Media Renderer / music player to connect to my existing Technics SU-V500 amplifier (which has an AUX input taking L/R audio channels with RCA connectors).

My requirements would be:

- cheap solution (something < 200€ !)

- it should be able to read music from an USB drive/key OR getting it from my LAN network (i.e., act as DLNA player I think),

audio format supported should be MP3 / FLAC and possibly others (e.g. MPEG4 .m4a, etc)

- it should have a nice interface, possibly an APP that I can install on my smartphone/tablet, that allows me to browse my music collection

Can you help me suggesting some solution?

So far I've seen Linn products but those are definitively out of my budget! :(

Thanks a lot!

Francesco

For the desired price, you should be able to get a Denon DNP720ae.

A little above the price you could look at Marantz NA7004 or Pioneer N-30. You might also be able to find an end of line Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6 (Mk 1).

Alternatively if you have an old laptop or similar you could use, something like iFi Nano iDSD or Audioquest DragonFly DAC would suit.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for the suggestion!

The "old laptop" solution indeed seems perhaps the best one in my case!

I found these prices:

* IFI - NANO IDSD DAC Price: $189.00

* Audioquest DragonFly DAC Price: $149.00

so they look to be in target! :-)

In the meanwhile somebody else suggested me to take a look to RuneAudio or VolumIO. Do you have any experience with these open source systems? A raspberry + hifiberry shield could be another cheap solution (of course I would need to use my smartphone or a tablet to send commands to the raspberry!!)...

Thanks!