IGNORED

Copper vs silver replacement cable for Audeze LCD-X

I received an Audeze LCD-X earlier this week and currently look into buying a replacement for the stock cable that was included. Now I have the choice of copper versus silver cables and wanted to know what you would recommend?

Since I will be using the headphones mainly for critical mastering work I want to avoid any kind of sonic pimping. I'd like to get the best from what the Audezes have in a linear way. The cable will be balanced, so I can connect to the main output of a Sound Devices USBPre2.

Thanks a lot for your time,

I look forward to hear from you.

Stephan

IME with interconnects, copper has more body and weight while silver is more detailed. Err on the side your system or tastes require.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

My experience mirrors that of 4est.

Just a question/observation: you mentioned you will be using this setup for mastering. Since the vast majority of all people listening to the music you master will be listening through copper cabled devices, would you not want to use copper cabling in your headphones to get a better impression of how your music will sound to the majority of listeners?

My thinking might be misplaced, I am just curious...

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Just a question/observation: you mentioned you will be using this setup for mastering. Since the vast majority of all people listening to the music you master will be listening through copper cabled devices, would you not want to use copper cabling in your headphones to get a better impression of how your music will sound to the majority of listeners?

This is why standards like the Auratone 5c or Yamaha NS 10 have been established in their days. I heard from certain producers using cellphone speakers as such a real life test today… For my main monitors and headphones as well as for my basic studio setup I'm looking for an uncolored, ‘piece of wire’ sound to begin with. Once I'm happy with what I hear there, I will check the results with various other setups like a pair of vintage active monitors by Braun or Siemens, my brother's Klipsch horns, laptop speakers, or in the car. Although the sound will change on each of these, it has to deliver it's original intention. As for headphones, I currently still have a pair of Beyerdynamics DT-1350 and the AKG K-702 which I still love. Have to find a moment to get back to them since the LCD-X won't leave my ears right now! I'm quiet impressed by them, however, from what I heard from people I trust, there should be some more detail and imaging gainable through them. There is already plenty of bass and body, so I'm hoping silver based cables will help giving them a bit more of contour.

Stephan

Just curious, if really wanted to maximize detail why didn't you go for the LCD-3 vs the X?

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

Just curious, if really wanted to maximize detail why didn't you go for the LCD-3 vs the X?

Earlier this year I had the chance to try the LCD-X for a weekend with my setup and was sold since then. While I haven't heard the -3, after comparing both of their specs and read the -3 had more bass, while the -X was tuned more linear and made for reference studio work I felt confident with my choice. Last week I had an offer to get a new LCD-X with a good perk, so after all it was 900$ less than what the LCD-3 will cost here. I'm waiting for a reply regarding the cable they used in the studio where I tested the -X.

Stephan

• 2 weeks later...

Since yesterday I have a balanced miniXLR to 3PinXLR silver cable by Sigma Acoustics. Out of the box, this gives a good deal of improvement above the Audeze stock cable, more contour and precision especially in the bass range. This sounds very good to me, looking forward to what the break in will bring.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Stephan

The X is just as detailed as the 3, perhaps even more so. The 3 is just a bit more svelte in its delivery.

As for cables, all Audezes are pretty smooth so I would tend to go with Silver for all. Check out Moon Audio. His cables aren't cheap but they aren't the most expensive either. he has two variants of silver cable. His Silver Dragon is the one he recommends with the LCD-3, it's his most lively cable. The Black Dragon (also silver) is a bit less lively but more "organic" and he recommends it with the LCD-X. He has a copper cable, Blue Dragon, that he doesn't recommend for any of the Audezes (but its still a very nice sounding cable and a bit cheaper.)

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Since yesterday I have a balanced miniXLR to 3PinXLR silver cable by Sigma Acoustics. Out of the box, this gives a good deal of improvement above the Audeze stock cable, more contour and precision especially in the bass range. This sounds very good to me, looking forward to what the break in will bring.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Stephan

just realized you had already gotten a cable. Sounds like you found a good one. I am looking for an LCD-3 cable and will check them out.

Kelly, I heard about Moon Audio's cables but couldn't test them. The Sigma Acoustics balanced cable is the one I've tried with the LCD-X a while ago, so I simply ordered it without a second thought. Instead of the Furutech connections used by Moon Audio, this one comes with studio grade Neutrik plugs. I payed $220, the miniXLR to 1/4" TRS version is available from their shop for $169.

I've heard that -XC were more neutral, so it wouldn't hurt either way (copper vs silver) unless your amplification isn't so neutral.

If you're detail/mid-range picky, silver.

If you're a bass head and want weight on the lower-mid registries, copper.

All in all, can't go wrong with Audeze headphones when it comes to re-wiring.

Computer > iFi iUSB Power Supply > iFi iPurifier USB Conditioner> iFi iLink USB to SPDIF Converter >

Matrix Audio X-Sabre DAC > AMB Balanced Beta 22 AMP>

|ϟ| SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer |ϟ| Adam A7X Monitors |ϟ| Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Thanks for the feedback Timothy. I've visited your website and noticed various pages will only show a basic frame, not the content (OS 10.8, Chrome or Safari). You may want to look into this?

I'll look into it. Thanks. Appreciate the feedback.

Computer > iFi iUSB Power Supply > iFi iPurifier USB Conditioner> iFi iLink USB to SPDIF Converter >

Matrix Audio X-Sabre DAC > AMB Balanced Beta 22 AMP>

|ϟ| SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer |ϟ| Adam A7X Monitors |ϟ| Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Check out Moon Audio. His cables aren't cheap but they aren't the most expensive either. he has two variants of silver cable. His Silver Dragon is the one he recommends with the LCD-3, it's his most lively cable. The Black Dragon (also silver) is a bit less lively but more "organic" and he recommends it with the LCD-X.

I really like the Moon Audio cables, too.

However, the Black Dragon line is copper, not silver. In fact, that's probably the key distinction between the Silver Dragon and the Black Dragon.

From the Moon Audio site, the page about their headphone cable:

"The Black Dragon V2 cable uses 4 x 21.5AWG Teflon insulated stranded conductors using pure single crystallized UP-OCC pure copper with 7N purity 99.99998%."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

I really like the Moon Audio cables, too.

However, the Black Dragon line is copper, not silver. In fact, that's probably the key distinction between the Silver Dragon and the Black Dragon.

From the Moon Audio site, the page about their headphone cable:

"The Black Dragon V2 cable uses 4 x 21.5AWG Teflon insulated stranded conductors using pure single crystallized UP-OCC pure copper with 7N purity 99.99998%."

I stand corrected. I was thinking the Silver Dragon and Black Dragon were both silver and the Blue Dragon was their copper. I guess I assumed this because the Silver Dragon and Black Dragon are similar in price and Blue Dragon is much cheaper.

I got to compare them side by side and am thinking of upgrading from my stock LCD-3F cables. There is a definite improvement and I will probably get some. The only issue for me is that their cables aren't particularly ergonomic.

The only issue for me is that their [Moon Audio's] cables aren't particularly ergonomic.

Curious what you mean by that.

Because their cables are thicker than the cables that come with many headphones, and therefore don't fold up well?

Or have too much weight, relative to some other third-party labels?

Or something else?

Just wondering.

Music is love, made audible.

Curious what you mean by that.

Because their cables are thicker than the cables that come with many headphones, and therefore don't fold up well?

Or have too much weight, relative to some other third-party labels?

Or something else?

Just wondering.

Well, it's not that much of an issue with Audeze headphones since they are big and heavy anyway, so you probably won't be moving around much with them on. But an example of a really ergonomic cable would be the Q-Audio silk jacketed cable.

The Collection

I have never heard the q-cables myself so can't comment on how they sound. Others have said they sound good. They have little/no shielding so they may pickup more noise. Anyway, if I am going to spend several hundred on a headphone cable then something lighter, more flexible and less microphonic than the stock cable would be on my wish list along with better sound. But, that said, I will probably get some Silver Dragons since I have heard them and know they sound great.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I've got about a year in with the LCD-X paired with the Black Dragon V2 copper cable from Moon-Audio after initially buying the Silver Dragon which i must say sounded to bright for my aging ears.  I've eliminated Silver interconnects for the same reason, but I will say that Drew at Moon Audio is extremely knowledgeable about all current gear and how they pair with his Dragons.  Moon is a great resource, give Drew an email @moonaudio.com if you need to know the different nuances of each cable.  Very happy with the Black Dragons/AudezeLCD-X single ended combination.  The only disclaimer of course, is your source. 

1.AsusROG750SSD/JRiver22>LightHarmonics-LightspeedUSB> PSAudioDSD+Huron/AnalysisPlus PowerOval10+ AnalysisPlus Solo Crystal In's >PASS Labs HPA-1 headphone amp-AnalysisPlus UltimatePowerCord/BlackDragonV2-AudezeLCD-X