IGNORED

Benchmark DAC2 HGC issues, build/finish quality, possible hardware/software changes

As a prospective buyer of the DAC2 HGC I have a few questions which are bothering me.

Some people report issues such as pops, clicks, loud thump when powering on the unit. I wonder if these relate to inherent design flaws. Could Benchmark have quietly introduced a running change after the first batches - afaik some owners don’t experience at least pops and clicks. Have someone talked to Benchmark media to see if they are planning sth like, say, DAC2 HGC MkII (like exaSound DACs) - to address these issues or they don’t recognise them at all and it is unlikely they will be officially modding the device. Or at least introduce software update to support higher DSD rates?

I know that Benchmark devices are highly regarded - for both sound and build quality. I don’t question the build quality of the DAC2 HGC (which is apparent even in the pics). My concern is more on the aesthetic side. I am more inclined to get the black version but I suppose the black faceplate is somehow painted whereas the silver one is in the natural colour of the aluminum. I think the black version would be more prone to scratches/peeling off in the long run but I may be wrong. Can someone comment on the black finish quality - uniformity of the black tone and durability (maybe owners of the previous black versions), and prove my concerns wrong? Finally - a fellow audiophile had problems with some of the lettering peeling off the faceplate of a black unit. Any similar experience? I would like to think this was an isolated case.

Everybody’s input highly appreciated! Thanks!

I bought this dac a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with the audio quality. I have not heard this pops issue but I am only changing the digital coax and optical.

This dac is far better then the Benchmark dac1 USB I replaced.

I bought a silver one. I can tell you it literally woke up my Paradigm Studio 100's I have it paired with.

I bought this dac a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with the audio quality. I have not heard this pops issue but I am only changing the digital coax and optical.

This dac is far better then the Benchmark dac1 USB I replaced.

I bought a silver one. I can tell you it literally woke up my Paradigm Studio 100's I have it paired with.

i echo this and have nothing but positive to share about my unit. No issues. I would urge you to call them next week after the show this weekend as they are always very good on the phone.

As a prospective buyer of the DAC2 HGC I have a few questions which are bothering me.

Some people report issues such as pops, clicks, loud thump when powering on the unit. I wonder if these relate to inherent design flaws. Could Benchmark have quietly introduced a running change after the first batches - afaik some owners don’t experience at least pops and clicks.

They all do it when turning on. I just leave mine on all the time now.

I have seen one vocal poster saying that theirs also pops & clicks when switching to/from the analog inputs, but mine does not, and I haven't seen anyone else report it.

Or at least introduce software update to support higher DSD rates?
I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware limitation.

Their ASRC operates at 200kHz so even if it were possible, it would only be over USB. (which does not use ASRC)

My concern is more on the aesthetic side. I am more inclined to get the black version but I suppose the black faceplate is somehow painted whereas the silver one is in the natural colour of the aluminum. I think the black version would be more prone to scratches/peeling off in the long run but I may be wrong. Can someone comment on the black finish quality - uniformity of the black tone and durability (maybe owners of the previous black versions), and prove my concerns wrong?
I think it's a tough anodized finish. Unless you actually manage to scrape it off with something sharp, it should be quite resistant.

You can probably buy it in black and request to buy a silver faceplate along with it.

Finally - a fellow audiophile had problems with some of the lettering peeling off the faceplate of a black unit. Any similar experience? I would like to think this was an isolated case.
That was me, and I take most of the blame for that.

I thought the letters on the front of the DAC were etched, rather than silk-screened or transferred on, so I was quite careless when cleaning fingerprints off the faceplate after some guests had been over.

I never bothered to contact Benchmark about it, but I'm sure they would have fixed it if I had asked.

Since many of the numbers were missing or partially removed, I decided to get rid of the rest of the lettering, and I like the result.

Removing the rest of the lettering took quite a bit of effort - I had to forcibly scratch it off - so I think I was just unlucky to have some of the lettering come off so easily when I was cleaning it.

Just gently use a damp/dry cloth and it should be fine.

Some people report issues such as pops, clicks, loud thump when powering on the unit. I wonder if these relate to inherent design flaws. Could Benchmark have quietly introduced a running change after the first batches - afaik some owners don’t experience at least pops and clicks. Have someone talked to Benchmark media to see if they are planning sth like, say, DAC2 HGC MkII (like exaSound DACs) - to address these issues or they don’t recognise them at all and it is unlikely they will be officially modding the device. Or at least introduce software update to support higher DSD rates?

I know that Benchmark devices are highly regarded - for both sound and build quality. I don’t question the build quality of the DAC2 HGC (which is apparent even in the pics). My concern is more on the aesthetic side. I am more inclined to get the black version but I suppose the black faceplate is somehow painted whereas the silver one is in the natural colour of the aluminum. I think the black version would be more prone to scratches/peeling off in the long run but I may be wrong. Can someone comment on the black finish quality - uniformity of the black tone and durability (maybe owners of the previous black versions), and prove my concerns wrong? Finally - a fellow audiophile had problems with some of the lettering peeling off the faceplate of a black unit. Any similar experience? I would like to think this was an isolated case.

Everybody’s input highly appreciated! Thanks!

I have used my silver finish DAC2 HGC for over two years and although SQ wise it is up there with some of the best I have had quite a few issues with it through the years. Loud very disturbing pop noise via usb connection when turing on and off. And very irrittating motor driven volume control that sometimes locks in far too loud setting and can't be force turned down. The most irritating thing of all.

After two years of use there is little left of any lettering on the faceplate and both rubber footing under and volume control knob are loose.

Ok I have used it as my travel DAC with headphones but not abused it, simply packing it in and out of a camera packback regularly.

I suppose it is different if used only as a DAC at home.

But apart from the really irritating issue with motor driven volume control deciding for me it sometimes in a hot tropical climate became completely inoperable because the faceplate wholes are too small and the stupid little plastic buttons get completely stuck and nothing works. I have had a lot of that. Too much in fact.

I have now also got a Chord Hugo which travels a lot better than the Benchmark and also sounds clearly better and more realistic on acoustic music and masterfiles where I have had the privilige to hear and compare live to recorded sound.

Hugo is not only better sounding it also plays both DSD 128 and pcm up to DXD and treats everything internally to 32/384.

Don't get me wrong the Benchmark DAC2 is good but Hugo is even better.

And so far without any of the many issues I have had with my DAC 2.

I too have switched from a Benchmark to a Hugo, but that was mostly because of changing taste in sound. Mine has been sitting in the same place for 16 months and it's never had a problem. Yes it does give an alarming pop when you turn it on, but I've always just left it in standby/mute, or turned off the power amp first. These are designed for recording studios, so I'd hope they'd be able to take some abuse, and it's always seemed like a totally solid, and well-laid out build to me -- much better laid out than the Hugo!

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

If you have issues with your DAC2 I suggest you contact them; you could ask for Rory. This is a fine company. I have been quite pleased with my DAC from Benchmark and they have made themselves available, always....

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

Chrille, now some of this seems unusual but may be important. May I ask you to elaborate a bit more on some of the issues.

1. The loud noise when turning on (and seemingly off) may be unpleasant but not a deal breaker, I would think, if you follow the simple rule to always turn your unit on before turning on the rest of your equipment - e.g. power amplifier or active speakers etc. Or just leave the DAC in standby mode. I wonder if this is some design quirk and why it hasn't been eliminated in the design scheme. Anyway.

2. What do you mean saying that the volume control sometimes 'locks in far too loud setting and can't be force turned down'? Do you mean you can't turn the pot down manually or by the remote? I haven't seen similar problem reported elsewhere.

3. What happened to the lettering on the faceplate - I thought it wasn't so unreliable? Maybe you've done sth, rubbed it somewhere or? And how come your rubber footing and volume control knob are loose? You mean sth is physically wrong with the pot after normal and not so extended use? Never read of such problem except for crackling pots.

4. The stuck buttons - now that's really sth. …What temperatures we are talking about? And do you suggest that ‘the stupid little plastic buttons’ physically expand or sth behind them or what? Again, never read of such an issue.

5. As for the Hugo - I suppose it’s a fine little dac. But feature-wise it just can’t be a substitute for the DAC2 HGC and it doesn’t come with a remote which is important for me.

Thanks!

I have used my silver finish DAC2 HGC for over two years and although SQ wise it is up there with some of the best I have had quite a few issues with it through the years. Loud very disturbing pop noise via usb connection when turing on and off. And very irrittating motor driven volume control that sometimes locks in far too loud setting and can't be force turned down. The most irritating thing of all.

After two years of use there is little left of any lettering on the faceplate and both rubber footing under and volume control knob are loose.

Ok I have used it as my travel DAC with headphones but not abused it, simply packing it in and out of a camera packback regularly.

I suppose it is different if used only as a DAC at home.

But apart from the really irritating issue with motor driven volume control deciding for me it sometimes in a hot tropical climate became completely inoperable because the faceplate wholes are too small and the stupid little plastic buttons get completely stuck and nothing works. I have had a lot of that. Too much in fact.

I have now also got a Chord Hugo which travels a lot better than the Benchmark and also sounds clearly better and more realistic on acoustic music and masterfiles where I have had the privilige to hear and compare live to recorded sound.

Hugo is not only better sounding it also plays both DSD 128 and pcm up to DXD and treats everything internally to 32/384.

Don't get me wrong the Benchmark DAC2 is good but Hugo is even better.

And so far without any of the many issues I have had with my DAC 2.

Why is it every time I see negative comments about the Benchmark products,whether its Amazon or here someone brings up the Chord Hugo ?

And who asked for a Chord Hugo review? There is a thread for this dac.

I have had my DAC2 for several months and report no problems at all. I find it to be very neutral as far as sound is concerned. I use it in balanced mode and leave it always on. No pops or noises. I do not use the remote, as the Benchmark is next to the listening chair and I find it easier to make small volume adjustments manually. I also find that with the Benchmark in the chain the sound is more transparent without a preamp, even though in my system the DAC2 output goes through the DSPeaker's ADC-DAC before reaching the amp. My DAC2 is silver and I had no problem with the lettering, but then I avoid rubbing or using liquids on it.

Regards,

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

My experience of owning a DAC2 was:

1. It is a superb sounding DAC with an extremely versatile feature set.

2. It makes a small 'tic' at power up, if your active speakers/poweramp are already on. You only need to power it up once when you buy it, and perhaps after coming home from holidays. It is pro quality equipment, and can quite happily be left on all the time. If you are in the habit of turning your equipment off, it is accepted good practice to turn source components like a DAC on before power components like speakers or a power amp. And turn them off in the reverse order. So there is absolutely no problem.

3. The volume control locking on a high-setting issue is a feature. If you get this, you have (probably inadvertently or through ignorance) selected the Home Theater bypass mode, which is indicated by an orange light marked "HT". Unselect this mode and you regain control of the volume.

4. I never had any clicks or pops when changing inputs.

5. afaik the black finish is anodised or something similar - it does not wear off. If you rub the lettering hard it probably will wear off. Don't rub the lettering hard or use abrasive cleaners.

Thanks to everyone who joined this thread to share an opinion! I encourage more users to do so and write about every aspect of the Benchmark DAC2 HGC that they find important, problematic or just share their positive experience. So far my impression of the unit, although I haven't been able to spend time with it, remains mostly positive.

Well I can't say how it compares to other DACs in this price range, but I can say that I was not disappointed with my purchase when I first set it up.

It's a very good sounding DAC, and while most people here have praised how it made their speakers sound a lot better, I was also very impressed with how much better my headphones sounded. There is no background noise at any volume, and it really made a huge difference to the low frequency response.

Like most of the others, I just leave the DAC on all the time now, rather than powering it on and off. It's probably in use half the day anyway, so I'd rather not be turning it on and off all the time.

The remote is very convenient to have, and I really appreciate that the HGC is not just a DAC, but also has analog inputs so it can act as a pre-amp as well - something I make frequent use of.

If I could make any changes to the device, I'd want some way of dimming or disabling the LEDs on the front, and the ability to set the headphone outputs to different levels.

When you set the outputs to 0dB, -10dB, or -20dB, it affects both of them. I'd prefer to have a high gain and low gain output. It's not a problem, it would just be nice to have. Most of the time I just have a pair of Sony MDRs hooked up to it anyway so it's not really an issue.

Having a driver that let me control the volume from the player instead of the remote would be nice.

Of the other DACs in this sort of size that I have seen, the only other one I would consider if I were buying something new today would probably be the Resonessence Invicta.

It seems like it would address some of my complaints about the DAC2, but it lacks the pre-amp functionality and is twice the price here.

I think I would probably just end up buying the DAC2 again though.

If you have issues with your DAC2 I suggest you contact them; you could ask for Rory. This is a fine company. I have been quite pleased with my DAC from Benchmark and they have made themselves available, always....

In all fairness I also have to report that whenever I have had any serious problem with my DAC2 I have of course contacted Benchmark support and they have responded VERY QUICKLY and offered to help. The problem for me has been that there has been no support/repair where I have been when most problems have occurred. Not in Singapore not even in KL where I bought my unit. Benchmark has suggested I send my unit to England because even in Sweden there is no support for fixing the faceplate problem which they are aware of.

Plastic buttons being too big and faceplate holes too small. When the unit gets hot they sometimes stick and nothing works at all.Special tools needed to remove faceplate!

And apart from the irritating problems mentioned I too have been very happy with my DAC2 until I heard the Hugo which as I said travels a lot easier and with masterfiles where I have the live versus recorded as reference, sounds closer to the live sounds I heard in the halls at sessions both DSD and DXD of live acoustic music, to my ears at least.

The slightly soft often very beautiful almost sweetening DSD signature common for most DSD DACs which is very nice sometimes is how I hear DSD via DAC2 and most other DSD DACs but Hugo for some reason comes slightly closer to how things actually sounded live.

A leaner but more accurate and closer to the live sound is what I keep hearing from the Hugo.

DAC2 is good even very good , but with the privilige of comparing with SOTA material both DSD and DXD DAC2 is not quite as good as little Hugo imo.

Once again let me add,that only via really well recorded complex acoustic music with lots of low level information reverb tails acoustic signature and individidual timbres of acoustic instruments will you hear any difference worth mentioning anyway imo.

DAC2 is ever so slightly veiled and warmer than live compared to the Hugo or DXD or DSD studio units I have heard via HD 800 monitoring headphones.Via my electrostatic speakers and 900 watts amplification at home I have to admit that some recordings sometimes sound sweeter and "nicer" more polite via DAC 2.

But Hugo is even there much more often the winner on anything from solo piano DXD to chamber orchestra and full large scale music symphonic.

And unlike DAC2 it plays both DXD and DSD 128.

Benchmark DAC2 is very good but they are facing a lot of more current competition not only from Hugo.

In all fairness again,let me finish with the words no DAC I have heard sounds as good as live. We are not there yet.

In pro audio the rule for power on/power off sequence is:

Power on

Source units

Control units

Amplifiers

Power off

Amplifiers

Control units

Source units

I think you're missing the point a bit here. The discussion is not about the pro audio rules and patterns but rather about this particular product characteristics. Benchmark gear is not used only by professionals and everyone spending 2k on a DAC should be aware of its features and oddities.

Special tools needed to remove faceplate!
Nonsense. You just need a Philips screwdriver, a 1/16" and 9/64" hex key.

They would probably rather you did not attempt the repair yourself though.

The slightly soft often very beautiful almost sweetening DSD signature common for most DSD DACs which is very nice sometimes is how I hear DSD via DAC2 and most other DSD DACs but Hugo for some reason comes slightly closer to how things actually sounded live.

A leaner but more accurate and closer to the live sound is what I keep hearing from the Hugo.

DAC2 is good even very good , but with the privilige of comparing with SOTA material both DSD and DXD DAC2 is not quite as good as little Hugo imo.

Equipment should be true to the recording, in my opinion, and I would say that the DAC2 is.

DAC2 is ever so slightly veiled and warmer than live compared to the Hugo or DXD or DSD studio units I have heard via HD 800 monitoring headphones.Via my electrostatic speakers and 900 watts amplification at home I have to admit that some recordings sometimes sound sweeter and "nicer" more polite via DAC 2.
"Veiled" and "warm" are not how I would describe it - I suspect that I would find the Hugo strident if that's how you would describe the DAC2 relative to it.

Plastic buttons being too big and faceplate holes too small. When the unit gets hot they sometimes stick and nothing works at all.

Does anybody here know the operating temperature range of Benchmark DACs (DAC2 HGC) as I couldn't find this particular information anywhere including DAC2 otherwise exhaustive manual which is available online. I think this one is worth clarifying.

Does anybody here know the operating temperature range of Benchmark DACs (DAC2 HGC) as I couldn't find this particular information anywhere including DAC2 otherwise exhaustive manual which is available online. I think this one is worth clarifying.

I have only had the problem in the tropics where it gets very hot sometimes. Never under normal temperatures.

But I spend 6-8 months a year in the tropics and not always with A/C, so for me it has been a recurring and irritating problem.

Nonsense. You just need a Philips screwdriver, a 1/16" and 9/64" hex key.

They would probably rather you did not attempt the repair yourself though.

Equipment should be true to the recording, in my opinion, and I would say that the DAC2 is.

"Veiled" and "warm" are not how I would describe it - I suspect that I would find the Hugo strident if that's how you would describe the DAC2 relative to it.

Seems rather silly to expect anything when you haven't actually heard it.

Being another who actually owns both, I can confirm that this is so. The Benchmark *is* wonderfully detailed, and it is somewhat "thicker" (you might perceive it as warmer) than the Hugo, but to some extent it seems like that because the Hugo is faster. That might lead you to think that the Hugo is thin, tonality-wise, in order to achieve that speed, but again, that's wrong, the Hugo is tonally lusher than the Benchmark. And if you think that's less "true" to the music, than I can only say that you would be correct if you were at the recording session and the session sounded like the Benchmark, but as far as I'm concerned, the Hugo is more "musical" in every way than the Benchmark, while showing at least the same amount of detail. More "musical" is more accurate as far as I'm concerned.

The Benchmark is much more intelligently laid out, and has a great preamp and headphone section -- I'm tempted to prefer the headphone section to the Hugo's. It is worth the money it costs, IMO, but it's not the last word in DACs. And that doesn't mean I think the Hugo is, either.

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)