IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

Ok, so I have had this thing for a few hours, and I am not impressed with it already because there are NO clear instructions on how to set it up. There is no user manual to review and the "Quick Start" guide provides no meaningful information. Also, the website does not have a manual and the iPad app link to the manual is broken.

The device does not see my usb dac (but my dac knows something is connected), and the app does not see any of my dsd files on my NAS, but the app did quickly find a lot of other music on the NAS instantly. Also, the app lacks cover art for a ton of stuff that has embedded art. This is NOT a polished and finished product in my view. I hope it sounds spectacularly awesome compared to a highly customized mac mini server system or it is going right back.

I called the guy that sold it to me at a show today who is from Aurelic, and he said it needs a firmware update, but he could not tell me how to do one exactly. I tried a reset but that did nothing. The sales guy (from Aurelic) said the device does the firmware update automatically when I connect a lan cable, but it didn't. He told me to email support.

This is not a good first impression at all. I highly recommend that they provide a reasonable user guide and instructions.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

This is how to upgrade firmware.

Here's the explanation from Xuanqian:

1) Firmware version below 1.4.3: Please allow machine to do update at background to the latest firmware and it will resolve most of the problem.

2) Connected using WIFI: Most of the times is caused by WiFi router, a simple power cycle of router usually fix the problem but if the problem appears again and again, the bet solution is to change the router to a better one.

3) Connected using Ethernet: Please remember even ARIES is running on wired connection, your iPad is still connected by WiFi so that still possible to be a router problem. If in this case, I would try to reboot the following device in sequence: 1, router; 2, iPad; 3, ARIES. Please remember to reboot 2, 3 after router reboot completely.

Additional message: Some of the WiFi router will block UDP multicast completely by default as they consider SSDP multicast message as a DDoS attack package. If customer is using this type of WiFi router, they need to make sure not active the 'firewall' function. or add an exception for SSDP multicast.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Ok, so I have had this thing for a few hours, and I am not impressed with it already because there are NO clear instructions on how to set it up. There is no user manual to review and the "Quick Start" guide provides no meaningful information. Also, the website does not have a manual and the iPad app link to the manual is broken.

The device does not see my usb dac (but my dac knows something is connected), and the app does not see any of my dsd files on my NAS, but the app did quickly find a lot of other music on the NAS instantly. Also, the app lacks cover art for a ton of stuff that has embedded art. This is NOT a polished and finished product in my view. I hope it sounds spectacularly awesome compared to a highly customized mac mini server system or it is going right back.

I called the guy that sold it to me at a show today who is from Aurelic, and he said it needs a firmware update, but he could not tell me how to do one exactly. I tried a reset but that did nothing. The sales guy (from Aurelic) said the device does the firmware update automatically when I connect a lan cable, but it didn't. He told me to email support.

This is not a good first impression at all. I highly recommend that they provide a reasonable user guide and instructions.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I am sorry to see you are the second user today unable to get the unit to function. As to the firmware update, I would recommend leaving it plugged into ethernet overnight, I too don't know how long it takes for the Aries to check for a firmware upgrade and download it.

I cannot tell from your signature what NAS you have nor what you have running as a music server on the NAS, is it a Synology with Minimserver?

So I guess it is clear you cannot play any music because the Aries does not see the DAC? I wasn't aware one has to specify the DAC in the setup, how do you know the Aries doesn't see the DAC, is that because you cannot get music to play?

One other thought, I have played around with the Kinsky, Lumin, and Lightning DS control software with my Synology NAS running Minimserver. Of the three I have found the Lumin application (for iPad - free) to be the most functional. This is of course without the benefit of my Aries yet.

What format are you DSD files in, ISO, DSF, or DFF? Minimserver does not support ISO.

Again, sorry to hear about your initial experiences.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I finally got it working, but the app does not see any dsd files on my NAS drive. This is a non-starter for me. I will poke around here more for some help, and will email support, but without dsd, this goes back.

I do not think it is fair to provide feedback on the sound with no break-in of the Aries.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

What format are you DSD files in, ISO, DSF, or DFF? Minimserver does not support ISO.

Again, sorry to hear about your initial experiences.

Barr

Thanks for your best wishes and for your suggestions. I think there was a firewall issue with my setup that I corrected. I can now listen to music using wirelessly.

The problem for me now is the app and lack of DSD. The app does not see any dsd files on my NetGear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 (no ISO, dsf or dff). The app does see other files like flac, aiff and alac. The cover art functionality is also not too good. I will continue to poke around and email support.

I did not need to install anything on my NAS. The app saw my NAS and "imported" the music. Perhaps the server software on my NAS is the culprit. I will investigate.

- Mark

I finally got it working, but the app does not see any dsd files on my NAS drive. This is a non-starter for me. I will poke around here more for some help, and will email support, but without dsd, this goes back.

I do not think it is fair to provide feedback on the sound with no break-in of the Aries.

Mark, The Aries is a UPnP and OpenHome renderer, so it needs to have a DSD-capable UPnP server running for the thing to see DSD. Which one are you using, JRIver? Minimserver? It is truly DSD-capable but needs a DSD server.

Also, if your DAC is not seen then maybe it (Vivaldi) isn't UAC2 (linux) capable? Dunno...the dCS line is a little confusing to me.

Nobody has artwork issues other than me?

I have major artwork issues. And what is weird is that for some albums that do not show any art in the library view, when I play a track, the album art displays in the top left corner of the software (the "now playing" area?). So the artwork is there, but the library view simply does not access it.

- Mark

Mark, The Aries is a UPnP and OpenHome renderer, so it needs to have a DSD-capable UPnP server running for the thing to see DSD. Which one are you using, JRIver? Minimserver? It is truly DSD-capable but needs a DSD server.

Also, if your DAC is not seen then maybe it (Vivaldi) isn't UAC2 (linux) capable? Dunno...the dCS line is a little confusing to me.

You might have something on the server. Which one should I load onto the NAS to get dsd? I'm not sure what I am using because the app immediately found my NAS.

Thanks very much. If not for this forum, I would be in trouble.

- Mark

I have major artwork issues. And what is weird is that for some albums that do not show any art in the library view, when I play a track, the album art displays in the top left corner of the software (the "now playing" area?). So the artwork is there, but the library view simply does not access it.

Yes, it's really an issue. The app needs major work IMO to be useable. I spent hours here today and think I've figured some issues out but it's all programming at this point. Hopefully Mr. Wang will address these issues soon. Glad my Mac Mini is still setup and will be my primary for a while. The ARIES will be tested as things move along.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Patience. The library view in these early stages of the app takes a while to fully load and get synch'd. Folder views are quicker but are not as robust as when the library view is fully loaded. First comes album names only (0 tracks) then the tracks fill in, then the album art. Close the app fully and start again. Here is my library view of Minimserver. It has album art. It contains DSD files.

minimserver art.jpg

You might have something on the server. Which one should I load onto the NAS to get dsd? I'm not sure what I am using because the app immediately found my NAS.

Thanks very much. If not for this forum, I would be in trouble.

I checked and Minimserver works on the ReadyNAS - there are downloadable versions for both the x86 and ARM versions of the ReadyNAS. You will need to install JAVA as well if it is not installed on your NAS.

And of course optimally shutdown (not delete) the other Music Server software that is running on your NAS.

Minimserver BTW supports DSF and DFF files but will not play ISO files, just so you know.

MinimServer downloads

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Patience. The library view in these early stages of the app takes a while to fully load and get synch'd. Folder views are quicker but are not as robust as when the library view is fully loaded. First comes album names only (0 tracks) then the tracks fill in, then the album art. Close the app fully and start again. Here is my library view of Minimserver. It has album art. It contains DSD files.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13879[/ATTACH]

I tried, tried, tried to resist the decade of Charlie Daniels joke....no I wont', I must not....

Mine should arrive early next week, so I should be able to make a Radio Shack run for a power cable in the meantime.

Now you sound like a reviewer/salesman.

Huh? This product is like 1 month old, and Chris and I gave everyone feedback that patience with loading times, etc was necessary. Jason, please don't tell me you didn't lead the pack of pleading with Auralic to get this thing out!!!!! And for good reason, I might add...it breaks new ground in several areas. Now you are not willing to be patient, to test and give feedback as an early adopter?? Really?

Huh? This product is like 1 month old, and Chris and I gave everyone feedback that patience with loading times, etc was necessary. Jason, please don't tell me you didn't lead the pack of pleading with Auralic to get this thing out!!!!! And for good reason, I might add...it breaks new ground in several areas. Now you are not willing to be patient, to test and give feedback as an early adopter?? Really?

Oh no, I'm more than willing. The question is where does the feedback go and when does it get fixed? The app has been out long enough there should be changes already. Now the hardware is out and there is nothing but crickets.

Also, I'm a paying customer unlike you and Chris who have review samples. Since the product actually came much later than expected I would have thought the product would actually be useable. It's not.

I'm stoked for this product. This is why I actually purchased one but it does need to work.

One more thing, it was shipped as a final product with ongoing development which is typical. There was NO mention that it was still in beta or anything. If that was the case, I'd assume that there would have been at least a half dozen or so beta testers. There was nothing so it's fair to expect the product (DS) be ready for use without too much trouble.

One more thing, it was shipped as a final product with ongoing development which is typical. There was NO mention that it was still in beta or anything. If that was the case, I'd assume that there would have been at least a half dozen or so beta testers. There was nothing so it's fair to expect the product (DS) be ready for use without too much trouble.

I would concur that a shipping product should be fully functional albeit with a few minor minor issues here and there. It should include a manual or link to online manual, hardware fully functional as spec'd, and any related software fit for purpose. I would expect that of an iPhone, computer, television, Oppo Blu Ray player, DAC, et al.

I also do acknowledge that due to Ted's postings I was aware of what I was getting into, more or less ( any less not due to Ted), and thus have spent a good amount of time testing the Lumin application as well and plan to use that as my control point in the short term.

All of the above meant with no malintent.

It was the server!!!

I can now see and play dsd. In addition, while there are still some artwork issues, using the minim server instead of the "default" streaming server from my NAS, I know see far more artwork.

It took a bit of work to install the server on my NAS (I needed to create a share, then install and installer, then install java, then install the server), but there are pretty good instructions from NetGear.

Thanks ted_b!!

- Mark

I need to post to state that I think I was a bit quick to react as to my issues with the hardware and software. I did find an issue with my firewall that temporarily prevented my ability to see the Aries on the network, and also did not understand that I did not have a dsd capable server enabled (I assumed I was good to go because the app saw my NAS and loaded the music library). That said, a user manual or some additional basics for those not fortunate enough to know of this forum and thread would have been helpful to me (and perhaps others too).

There are still some tagging issues and artwork issues, but that is not a huge issue. Plus, I will do more homework to see if there are fixes.

Thanks again to all!

- Mark

Thanks Mark. It's easy to get impatient about this stuff. I agree that a quick start guide is not nearly enough. I think Auralic underestimated how many non-DLNA people would be interested in this product (i.e it is stressing the fact that DLNA, UpNP, OpenHome are not normal audiophile domains, and yet Auralic has caught the attention of audiophiles everywhere with its Vega DAC).....education about music streaming, via a well-laid-out user manual, is in order.

The power cord issue is something I am not sensitive to, in that I have dozens laying around. The Aurender X100L server I have here for review didn't come with one either (more $$ than the Aries). Neither did my Paul Hynes SR7EHD power supply (listed for nearly the cost of the Aries) or my Chord Hugo (ok, that was a joke...it's battery powered :) ).