IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

I feel for you.

I don't recall if you have previously provided examples but I note from your sig that you have MinimServer installed on your NAS.

My apologies if you have already tried the following, but, if not, the results could be useful.

The MinimServer User guide/Your music library page Your music library describes how Album art is detected.

To confirm if Album art is detected by MinimServer, select the 'Show log' option within MinimWatch and save it to your desktop as a .txt file to make searching easier. (nb - you may also have to populate the log file by selecting the 'Rescan' option)

Embedded art should cause similar log entries to the following:-

22:32:41.004 main: ID3v2 frameID is APIC

22:32:41.004 main: ID3v2.3 frameSize is 9713

22:32:41.004 main: found APIC frame

22:32:41.004 main: JPEG image width=200 height=196

22:32:41.004 main: picture type is 3

22:32:41.004 main: picture MIME type is image/jpeg

Folder.jpg etc. should cause similar log entries to the following:-

22:32:41.020 main: found file Folder.jpg

22:32:41.051 main: ComponentClassLoader: using local class loader for class com.minimserver.Server$PictureFileInfo

22:32:41.051 main: Opening image file C:\Users\...\Janet Jackson\All for You\Folder.jpg

22:32:41.067 main: JPEG image width=200 height=196

Happy investigating.

Alan

Thanks. Yes, I seem to get them on some but not others. Very very odd. I can have a Folder.jpg in one album and it works fine with one album but not the other.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Thanks. Yes, I seem to get them on some but not others. Very very odd. I can have a Folder.jpg in one album and it works fine with one album but not the other.

Ok I have pondered further your issue, as an experiment can you open one of those albums with no cover art in XLD and see if it has cover art embedded in it? If you want to be super safe, turn off the network on that Mac as I don't recall if XLD automatically displays cover art if missing and it locates it online.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I think I discovered a bug with LDS. When I have LDS open on my ipad mini, the screen wouldn't shut down (go to sleep). this, of course, drains the battery very quickly. even if I have LDS running minimised, the screen sometimes would go to sleep but more times wouldn't. and it wouldn't lock (i have an automatic lock setup after 2 min). Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

I think I discovered a bug with LDS. When I have LDS open on my ipad mini, the screen wouldn't shut down (go to sleep). this, of course, drains the battery very quickly. even if I have LDS running minimised, the screen sometimes would go to sleep but more times wouldn't. and it wouldn't lock (i have an automatic lock setup after 2 min). Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Yes.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Name the high end renderers that offer Pandora and/or Spotify. I have seen some all-in-one high end products that may, but not any renderers. In fact, there aren't that many pure renderers on the market. Although I may have missed some when I was searching.

I understand Naim is going to do Spotify.

rogerdn

Ok I have pondered further your issue, as an experiment can you open one of those albums with no cover art in XLD and see if it has cover art embedded in it? If you want to be super safe, turn off the network on that Mac as I don't recall if XLD automatically displays cover art if missing and it locates it online.

If I understand you, yes, it works fine.

I understand Naim is going to do Spotify.

Naim also contains a DAC and in some cases amplifiers. I would expect that Naim, ProJect and a few other manufacturers that package a number of features in their network streamer will (if not already) eventually add Spotify and Pandora. Most of the pure renderers don't. What they will do in the future is anyones bet.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Talked with Spotify about March this year but pretty hard to work with them as they have a lot of restriction. We will try later after current App is stable. Also looking for a integration of TuneIn too.

Streaming services such as Spotify which only offer 320K MP3 quality at maximum wont get sound quality benefit from native integration as AirPlay is in 44.1/16 lossless ALAC. But it do offer better user experience.

Spotify connect is a function to have. ( for me must have)

Now streaming Spotify from tablet to Apple TV to dac.

My internet radio and NAS via Sueezebox touch ( usb mod)

To leave my touch screen for the Aries, it needs more functions from third

parties. ( Deezer Spotify connect etc.)

It amazes me that with the issues that are obvious everyone seems more concerned about options. How about we work to improve the current function and then move onto options? I've been and still am part of software beta programs...that's how it works! Whether it's this forum or AURALiC has their own, lets fix the known issues.

Can anyone make movie and show us,how fast is app?

It's slow. Hopefully all of these issues will get fixed. JRiver constantly worked on their software and it was releasing daily versions to where it is today. It can be done but with the lack of communication I'm a bit worried at this point.

I find it funny that CA has completely left these threads other than to post the above.

Perhaps true Wang, but a lot of control points will look for "Compilation" tag or where there are multiple artists in a disc but no AlbumArtist tag and place these albums in a specific "Compilation" or "Various Artists" section either above or below every other artist.

Its not about what the control point SHOULD do, its about what is user friendly.

Another functionality enhancement needed - as your app (appears to) ignores sort order instructions sent by the server, you need the option to ignore words like "The" "A" "Le" "Les" etc at the start of titles.

For example I want to see The Beatles listed between Bat for Lashes and Ben Folds Five rather than between The Apples and The Beautiful South. Ideally though you should follow the "Artist Sort" order sent by the server - but I know a lot of control points ignore that. And yes I know I could change all my tags, but as it works in other applications I don't see why I should have to.

Eloise

Hi Eloise - I've also been experimenting with Lightning DS, running against MinimServer on a Synology 212j, and I echo your views. So that we're clear, I'm comparing my user experience with Logitech Media Server v7.7.3 on the same NAS, with iPeng/Squeezepad as my control points.

1. I'd like to see albums sorted by year within the AlbumArtist folder. This is user selectable with LMS. I agree with you - I don't want to use Folder View, I would like to use the Library View.

2. I also get this strange concatenation of Artist (name) and Album (name) when browsing. Same issue as you also with "&". Looks like AlbumArtist is being ignored, and Artist is being captured. This is not right - it would make Various Artists albums unworkable. Folder View on LDS shows NULL where I would expect to see AlbumArtist. This makes it unusable IMHO, in its current form.

3. Album art is displayed for some albums. Kinsky and iPeng display album art in all cases.

4. It should be user selectable as to what words to ignore when indexing - like "The" "Les" etc. LMS provides this, so I don't understand Mr. Wang's point here. Again, LMS provides this, and it is captured by ipeng/Squeezepad.

However, I remember what the initial versions of Kinsky et al were like, so I'm not unduly concerned. Assuming Mr. Wang accepts the suggestions of potential users and enhances LDS to provide an equal or better user experience than LMS and ipeng/Squeezepad - my current benchmark for media server configurability allied with a control point that can take advantage of that.

I've currently deferred my purchase of the Aries. Notwithstanding the fact that I'm sure it'll be a better source for my Devialet 200 than my SBT, I'm not willing to put up with the UI on LDS in its current form.

Will keep eel watching this thread with interest.

ATB, Ken

Naim also contains a DAC and in some cases amplifiers. I would expect that Naim, ProJect and a few other manufacturers that package a number of features in their network streamer will (if not already) eventually add Spotify and Pandora. Most of the pure renderers don't. What they will do in the future is anyones bet.

That's splitting hairs...

While the Naim may be a renderer WITH DAC and the Aerie a renderer without DAC; I would not expect the functionality of the actual renderer to be any different. The Aeries is just in two boxes.

So you asked for a high end renderer which supports Spotify ... The Naim (in the future) may do; and the Marantz NA-11s1 already does.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Looked at my ipad mini and noticed that the daily backup failed .I went into settings to manage what gets backed up and noticed that the Lightning Ds app was 1.5 gb's of data to be backed up! I turned off the backup for the app and I was well back under the 5 gb free Apple data cap.

Very odd indeed, but just to clarify, are you describing

a) what the Lightning DS displays (or doesn't :))

or

b) what the MinimServer log contains

If it is the former, would you be prepared to change your MinimServer to only address a couple of your folders, i.e. one that L.DS displays the artwork for and another that L.DS does not and rescan? The MinimServer log entries might prove useful.

I appreciate that this is a chore but it would satisfy my curiosity.

Alan

Very odd indeed, but just to clarify, are you describing

a) what the Lightning DS displays (or doesn't :))

or

b) what the MinimServer log contains

If it is the former, would you be prepared to change your MinimServer to only address a couple of your folders, i.e. one that L.DS displays the artwork for and another that L.DS does not and rescan? The MinimServer log entries might prove useful.

I appreciate that this is a chore but it would satisfy my curiosity.

Alan

Hi - haven't tried this myself yet, but previous poster deleted DSL from his iPad, rescanned music library using MinimServer and re-installed LDS on his iPad. This seemed to fix his problem. Will try this tomorrow and report back

ATB, Ken

That's splitting hairs...

While the Naim may be a renderer WITH DAC and the Aerie a renderer without DAC; I would not expect the functionality of the actual renderer to be any different. The Aeries is just in two boxes.

So you asked for a high end renderer which supports Spotify ... The Naim (in the future) may do; and the Marantz NA-11s1 already does.

Eloise

That isn't splitting hairs. A pure renderer lacks many of the features that the "streamers" do. I have a DAC and I didn't want to buy a streamer (renderer + DAC + many other things). Believe me, there are many streamers and few renderers on the market. I don't know of any (I may be wrong) renderer that has more than an internet radio package. That is fine for me, but there are others that confuse the Aires for a music streamer and complain about it lack of features.

I prefer to know when the unit will be ready for prime time and am interested in its continual state of development.

Oh, I don't need the frills. :)

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Oh... Sadly everyone disagrees and the Aries actually IS a streamer!!! And that includes Auralic.

Just google "Auralic Aries" and all the announcements of its availability and sales links call it a streamer so I guess that's why everyone is expecting it to do what other streamers do.

Eloise

That isn't splitting hairs. A pure renderer lacks many of the features that the "streamers" do. I have a DAC and I didn't want to buy a streamer (renderer + DAC + many other things). Believe me, there are many streamers and few renderers on the market. I don't know of any (I may be wrong) renderer that has more than an internet radio package. That is fine for me, but there are others that confuse the Aires for a music streamer and complain about it lack of features.

I prefer to know when the unit will be ready for prime time and am interested in its continual state of development.

Oh, I don't need the frills. :)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Does anyone manage to add or replace tracks to an openhome playlist with LDS? (Lumin players, Linn players, software implementations). I can choose from an existing playlist when i first open LDS, but I can not add to it. If I try to replace the playlist, then the old playlist will get deleted but no new tracks are added. I know Auraulic dont give any guarantees that LDS will function with other brands. I'm just mostly curious at this stage.

Yay!

Not sure whether to post here or the hardware thread. Just connected my Aries. I'm insanely new to this stuff, so be warned. Hopefully someone will take pity.

I don't have a NAS set up yet, but I just installed Minimserver on my MacBook Pro. It seems to have loaded my file folder, and the Lightning DS app found the library.

In the DS app, under the Device tab, it does not yet recognise the Aries. It actually recognises 3 Sonos devices in other areas of the house, but the Aries, only a few feet away, isn't showing up. My wifi should be robust enough.

There's probably something simple I'm supposed to do, but not sure what it is yet. Someone willing to help a brutha?

Oh... Sadly everyone disagrees and the Aries actually IS a streamer!!! And that includes Auralic.

Just google "Auralic Aries" and all the announcements of its availability and sales links call it a streamer so I guess that's why everyone is expecting it to do what other streamers do.

Eloise

I didn't know that. They use the term "wireless streaming bridge" on the web site. Confusing isn't it? I guess they (Auralic) will have to take all complaints about lack of Spotify with good grace and a smile.

Not sure whether to post here or the hardware thread. Just connected my Aries. I'm insanely new to this stuff, so be warned. Hopefully someone will take pity.

I don't have a NAS set up yet, but I just installed Minimserver on my MacBook Pro. It seems to have loaded my file folder, and the Lightning DS app found the library.

In the DS app, under the Device tab, it does not yet recognise the Aries. It actually recognises 3 Sonos devices in other areas of the house, but the Aries, only a few feet away, isn't showing up. My wifi should be robust enough.

There's probably something simple I'm supposed to do, but not sure what it is yet. Someone willing to help a brutha?

Flying blind here as I don't have my Aries yet, however try this step first. Move your Aries near your router and plug it in with ethernet.

Then see if it shows up as a device in the Lightning DS application. I know this won't fix your problem, but it can perhaps narrow it down.

Second, I believe their is a firmware upgrade available for the Aries, so keep it connected to the Internet such that it can download it.

Third, actually this should be the first step, power cycle your router.

So to summarize my out of order suggestions:

1. Power cycle router.

2. power cycle iPad.

3. See if Aries shows up in Lightning DS

If that doesn't work, then do the following:

1. Connect Aries via ethernet to router.

2. Power down router and Aries.

3. Turn on router.

4. Turn on Aries

5. If Aries still not in Lightning DS, power cycle iPad.

If all of these fail, leave the Aries connected via ethernet to router so it can download the firmware update (not sure how long till it checks for the firmware upgrade and downloads it).

And if all else fails, and no one else has been able to help than check your router to see if a fireball is turned on and/or if the router is blocking UDP multicast.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs