IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

I will let Jason answer that with a ROTFLMAO emoticon. :) In other words, I am often late with my reviews.

I will answer your question this way: there is no free lunch. Lots of labor, cost and dedicated tweaked ingredients, combined with a rigid feeding schedule, will result in better sq than a $900 streamer. Shocked? The real answer is that all sorts of audiophiles win! Whether they want to plug and play, tweak all day, or some combination of both, the sq from any of these 3 options (and there are more, but not in my examples) is wayyyy beyond what we had even 2 years ago. And with a DAC back end that is in synergy (i.e is the yin to the source yang) you can have world class audio that will keep you in beautiful music for years (or until the next update :) ).

So my the final question becomes: what is the advantage of the ARIES over à dedicated Mac if we just want to stream QOBUZ or play local music files ? Is it "just" the simplicity of not having to use à computer or is the SQ from the ARIES much better than a Mac + Audirvana + Qobuz-Desktop ?

There's not necessarily an inherent advantage of a streamer vs Mac; however the streamer offers an alternative route vs a direct USB connection which may offer a better sound quality.

The streamer also eliminates questions like "what about Audivana vs Amarra" and "how about if we use an SSD". If you like tweaking its probably not for you; however if you are looking for a simple (plug and forget) solution then the Aries may offer it.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Eric,

My Directstream review will touch upon all sources used, not just Aries.

My Aries review will be in a combined article/review about three of the options available to audiophiles. I will be comparing/contrasting the effort, cost, complexity, usability and sq of a signal path that is centered around a NAS-based streamer bridge (Aries), a heavier-weight Linux server with internal storage (Aurender X100L) and a full blown tweaked-out WS 2012 dual-pc JRiver/Jplay server (my reference dual CAPS setup). It's unfair to simply compare one aspect alone.

And the WS 2012 is ........?

rogerdn

... The real answer is that all sorts of audiophiles win! Whether they want to plug and play, tweak all day, or some combination of both,...

NO NO, I don't want to "tweak all day" & fight with a "Windows Server 2012" !

So the solutions for me seems to narrow to "Aries like" or "Aurender like".

I am therefore eager to know which "out of the box" solution offer the best SQ: Aries or Aurender X100... :-)

For me it won't because I am going to buy it for my Lumin anyway and share it with the Aries...

Pardon me, but may I ask why do you need an ARIES if you already have a LUMIN ?

I was considering them as 2 competitive solution... so now I am puzzled !

There's not necessarily an inherent advantage of a streamer vs Mac; however the streamer offers an alternative route vs a direct USB connection which may offer a better sound quality.

Eloise

Not sure if you mean a direct USB connection offers better sound quality or the streamer does.

Pardon me, but may I ask why do you need an ARIES if you already have a LUMIN ?

I was considering them as 2 competitive solution... so now I am puzzled !

A reasonable question.

The trouble is that Lumin A1 can only stream to my DirectStream DAC via S/PDIF.

I want to feed my DirectStream over USB.

As previously stated I feel the DAC part of the Lumin is a bit muffled.

It might be that I sell my Lumin, being an early adopter.

Up until now the Lumin has served me in an excellent manner.

A reasonable question.

The trouble is that Lumin A1 can only stream to my DirectStream DAC via S/PDIF.

I want to feed my DirectStream over USB.

As previously stated I feel the DAC part of the Lumin is a bit muffled.

It might be that I sell my Lumin, being an early adopter.

Up until now the Lumin has served me in an excellent manner.

So why not just swap your LUMIN for an AURENDER X100 that has a very high-end USB output ?

Do you see added advantaged in the ARIES V/S the Aurender X100 (besides it's inferior price) ?

ARIES all the way for me. Aurender is expensive and I do not want built in drives. My dealer sells both.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13958[/ATTACH]

If you don't mind my asking, who is your dealer? (I'm in NC also...)

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

If you don't mind my asking, who is your dealer? (I'm in NC also...)

I used Sonare Coeli.com | Esoteric Audio for the Home | Wisconsin and Midwest High-end Audio Dealer for my Vega, Taurus MKII and now the ARIES. Nigel provides great service.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Sorry to hear that !

Lucky that I put my bet on Aries & placed my back order at a very early stage.

Hope that Auralic is able to get a quality supplier and keep on improving Lightning DS.

I'm not a professional reviewer. As an ordinary user, I can tell that Aries does satisfy

my ears in term of SQ. The real thing is that I've been spending much more time

in listening & enjoying music since the arrival of my Aries. Qobuz streaming is really

great. The sound is great. I'm wondering if Apple's bests-audio will be launching

any similar Hifi streaming service before my year's subscription to Qobuz. Even if

it does, it will depend on & take time for Auralic's support for integration.

In a word, I would like to thank Mr. Wang.

I dont think this is the correct place to complain but just want to tell you the true story.

After eating a whole batch of 2000pcs NG(not good from our standard) parts in May, the supplier was unwilling to provide any future service even we double the price. After a long negotiation with them, they agreed to delivered 1000pcs that meet our QC standard at doubled price. After the parts arrived, there are still 50% rejected, however, they wont accept any return so we have to pay for everything. The print error on all 1000pcs is actually last issue we have concern.

The supplier has been cut off already but we will loss the money we already invested for plastic mold (probably cant be used for other supplier) and looking for a new one. The major problem is looking for another supplier. We no longer taking new order since middle of July because of this but has to fulfil existing back orders.

HiFi is not a good industry, small quantity but high quality standard, no supplier is willing to work with. Huge money lost already, something we paid for the lesson as the first time we use plastic, never mind...

Not sure if you mean a direct USB connection offers better sound quality or the streamer does.

I mean it depends ...

The streamer is going to be of a consistent quality regardless of what you do to the computer.

The computer connected directly to a DAC will vary in quality depending on what tweaks you apply. This may end up being a lower or higher quality.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

So why not just swap your LUMIN for an AURENDER X100 that has a very high-end USB output ?

Do you see added advantaged in the ARIES V/S the Aurender X100 (besides it's inferior price) ?

The price tag is important, but I also dislike the bulky form factor/old fashioned 'Accuphase' appearance of the Aurender. I am not a retro kind of guy.

Since I am not going to replace my DirectStream, a music server without a DAC (e.g. the Aries bridge) will suit me well, also for any zone expanding (wifi). I also like the possibility of using the Lumin control point.

I am comfortable owning two separate streamers, coming from the PWD MKII w/Bridge, even if this appear somewhat redundant.

I mean it depends ...

The streamer is going to be of a consistent quality regardless of what you do to the computer.

The computer connected directly to a DAC will vary in quality depending on what tweaks you apply. This may end up being a lower or higher quality.

Eloise

All subjective of course.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Just received mine today. Unboxed, inserted batteries into remote, connect after market power cord into linear power supply, plugged linear power supply into Aries. Put Aries on shelf and plugged into ethernet (so I could get the firmware right away, probably would have been the same as if I went wireless right away), plugged into USB, plugged power connector from Linear supply.

Turn on Aries with remote. Go to iPad, set it for USB output, and it is already downloading the firmware update.

I had already loaded my music library (Minimserver on Synology NAS) into the Aries application a week back (did the same on Lumin control application).

Ok, so now the download is complete and I am updating to the 1.5 firmware. Next off to pull the ethernet and set it up for wireless, and then to spin some tunes.

I cannot believe this day is here at last!

Golly, I must be a slow typist, I turned off the Aries, unplugged the Ethernet, re started, and now I am really off to spin some tunes.

Later.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

And for those of you with more than one iPad in the house who might be wondering if one has to do any configuration on the second/third iPad, the answer is no. (Actually since I have already set up both iPads with the Lightning DS application a while back I cannot recall if I had to set the music library for each or not).

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Just received mine today. Unboxed, inserted batteries into remote, connect after market power cord into linear power supply, plugged linear power supply into Aries. Put Aries on shelf and plugged into ethernet (so I could get the firmware right away, probably would have been the same as if I went wireless right away), plugged into USB, plugged power connector from Linear supply.

Lucky you. I can't get mine to stay on the network for more than 20 seconds. Useless as it is.

Just received mine today. Unboxed, inserted batteries into remote, connect after ...

Lucky you. I can't get mine to stay on the network for more than 20 seconds. Useless as it is.

Hi Wiley - I assume you are using wireless, just curious what make/model router you have, does it support 802.11ac ( I know, Aries should work with any 802.11n router ) and how far away is the router from the Aries?

What if you do a complete power down, shut down router, shut down Aries, then re boot router and then re start Aries?

Hi Wiley - I assume you are using wireless, just curious what make/model router you have, does it support 802.11ac ( I know, Aries should work with any 802.11n router ) and how far away is the router from the Aries?

What if you do a complete power down, shut down router, shut down Aries, then re boot router and then re start Aries?

Thanks, but I'm wired. I can't stay on long enough to sign into wireless network. I've done the router shutdown, ipad shutdown, app reinstall and I get about 20 seconds when I start the aries.

Thanks, but I'm wired. I can't stay on long enough to sign into wireless network. I've done the router shutdown, ipad shutdown, app reinstall and I get about 20 seconds when I start the aries.

Ok, that's bad, I have heard there is a "reset" switch on the Aries, maybe trying resetting the unit. I don't have the manual in front of me to verify its existence, but I seem to recall someone mentioning that is what they had to do to get it working properly....

Ok I believe the reset switch is on the bottom of the Aries.

Ok, that's bad, I have heard there is a "reset" switch on the Aries, maybe trying resetting the unit. I don't have the manual in front of me to verify its existence, but I seem to recall someone mentioning that is what they had to do to get it working properly....

Ok I believe the reset switch is on the bottom of the Aries.

No, I did that too. 2 or 3 times. Thanks for your kind help. But I'm stumped.