IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

You can look at the Sonre Rendu and Signature Rendu renderers. The first can be made I2S capable; the second is built that way.

Yes, I know about them and Sonore makes interesting products. Jesus is a skilled guy.

Along with W4S I reckon LH Labs are CE marked for sales in Europe.

Well, I just got the Aries up and running a few minutes ago with my Grace m920 DAC/preamp, accessing MinimServer on a ReadyNAS Pro6.

One quick observation so far...

For some reason, when the Aries is connected to the m920 via USB, when a track is tapped to be played in Lightning, Aries momentarily enters play mode, but then immediately switches to pause mode and can't be unpaused. However, when connected via S/PDIF, both PCM & DSD files play normally (the m920's "DSD" light turns on for the latter).

Not sure what the issue is regarding USB. Since the m920 works under OSX without a special driver, I assumed it would play nice with the Aries. Anyway, it's not an issue for me, since I want to use the m920's single USB connection for my iMac. Just a heads up for anyone with an m920 intending to use connect to the m920 via USB.

Well, I just got the Aries up and running a few minutes ago with my Grace m920 DAC/preamp, accessing MinimServer on a ReadyNAS Pro6.

One quick observation so far...

For some reason, when the Aries is connected to the m920 via USB, when a track is tapped to be played in Lightning, Aries momentarily enters play mode, but then immediately switches to pause mode and can't be unpaused. However, when connected via S/PDIF, both PCM & DSD files play normally (the m920's "DSD" light turns on for the latter).

Not sure what the issue is regarding USB. Since the m920 works under OSX without a special driver, I assumed it would play nice with the Aries. Anyway, it's not an issue for me, since I want to use the m920's single USB connection for my iMac. Just a heads up for anyone with an m920 intending to use connect to the m920 via USB.

Did you select USB output within the DS app?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Did you select USB output within the DS app?

In the "Output Channel" section, I selected the option other than "ARIES Digital Outputs" (I can't remember exactly now, but I think it only said "Grace m920", not "USB". Is there another setting besides that? Anyway, I'll have another go at it tomorrow.

As for the sound, so far I'm quite pleased with it. To my ears it's no worse than jRiver which I was using previously to play hi-res files. The acoustic bass of a Ron Carter solo album that's now playing is full and resonant but still clear as a bell. Earlier, the lush strings and beautiful singing in Karajan's Madama Butterfly with Freni and Pavarotti sounded wonderful.

One issue I'm having through occurs sometimes during playback of queued files, specifically, when transitioning from PCM (both 16/44 and 24/96) to DSD. What happens is, after finishing the PCM track, a few seconds into the DSD track, the audio will cut out while the progress bar continues to move. The audio returns by pausing/un-pausing playback in LDS. It doesn't happen all the time though, and sometimes, the audio cuts out briefly but returns by itself. Also, once the audio returns in the above manner, playback of the rest of the DSD album will continue without a hitch. Moreover, the problem doesn't seem to happen between two different DSD albums in a queue. I'll experiment with this more in the coming days.

Edit: i should I was queuing albums using only the "Add to Queue" feature. I haven't used the "Add to Collection" or "Add to Playlist" functions yet.

Have you tried the DAC Delay button in the DS app?

Have you updated the firmware in Aries?

Haven't touched the DAC Delay settings yet. It's getting late here, so I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Sounds like that might be the answer.

Yes, first thing I did today was update the FW to 1.5

I've had my Aries up and running for 2 days now. Things are working "fairly" well. I'm using wireless mode.

I'm really enjoying the sound quality so far. The only thing that has changed about my setup is the Aries, and now running Minimserver on my MacBook Pro. Previously I was using a Squeezebox Touch and LMS 7.8 with Triode plugin.

Things sound significantly better to me so far. I'm horrible with audiophile descriptors but I can at least say that I hear more detail, and a broader soundstage for sure. It sounds very warm to me too.

I'm having issues with artwork, as many have reported and know so little about how to deal with "tags" and Minimserver properties and stuff like that. Not even sure where to go to clean up album/track/folder/artwork stuff.

Another issue is that the app will occasionally freeze up, and need rebooting, and might also need Aries rebooted to find it again.

I am playing DSD files with little issue. Some of my 24/192 files are "breaking up", with spotty playback. Anyone else in wireless mode having that kind of issue??

Thanks!

My unit seems to have stopped working. I can see everything like I'm supposed to but whether wired or wireless when I click on a track or album I get nothing. It worked great yesterday and all night but now it does nothing. I've deleted the app and started over but that hasn't done anything. Of course rebooting the iPad and ARIES did nothing. I hate to hit the reset button on the bottom of the ARIES but I'm out of ideas.

Anyone else have this issue?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Update:

Did a reset didn't do anything with DS. Tried Lumin and it works fine. So the issue is DS once again.

If Mr. Wang is able to put the much needed development into this piece it will be badass I think.

It was a glitch on my end. No idea why all of a sudden it did it but it did. The ARIES shows up when you swipe the screen from the left edge. You need to click on it but this is what's odd....I already had it clicked and didn't change anything. Anyway, one more thing to take a look at if you're in the same boat as me. Mine played for nearly 12 hrs straight yesterday with a few hick-ups but its DS related I think.

image.jpg

Yes, there are still several major and minor bugs and issues with both the app and the playback software (I also get the DSD "droput" or mute about 3 seconds into the first DSD track picked when Aries moves from PCM to DSD) but I have to say I love the Now Playing screen the best (maybe even of every control app or ipad remote I know..although JRemote remains no.1 for other issues), as it shows all pertinent sample rate information, good playback controls, is pleasing to my eye, does the IOS 7 cover art color background, shows album art of each album in the queue (and can be collapsed) and is just pleasing to me. Dunno, my $.02.

My Aries has been playing nonstop for like 5 days (AES to Directstream currently). I am at 1.5 firmware, app version 1.1

Aries now playing 2.PNG

Things have improved considerably for me after upgrading my modem to a dual-band type. Aries is now wireless on the 5Ghz network and functions much better than before. Faster startup time, fewer glitches. As for SQ: listening this morning to France Musique via the radio function (128Kb stream) was a pleasure despite the 'low' quality of the stream, wide open soundstage, great extension. With these lower bitrates the differences in sound quality with the Squeezebox are less obvious but still clearly noticable.

I was seriously considering buying an Aurender X100 until... I read about the Aries.

Indeed, since I spend more and more time streaming from HiFi QOBUZ to explore new music rather than listening to my 'static' library :-), the AURALIC ARIES might be a better alternative for me ?

BUT... I would like to know if, when used as a Local Music player; the SQ of the AURALIC ARIES is as good as if I was using an AURENDER X100 ?

Also, since I do not like NAS too much, does someone know when can we expect the USB-HD support. A local 512 Gb SSD drive will do it for me. No need for Tetrabites over the network...

thanks

PS: when streaming QOBUZ, do we really have acces to 16/44 streaming (assuming you get a Qobuz's HiFi Subscription) ? And does it display the QOBUZ desktop interface or is it enbeded into the Auralic interface ?

Circuit is the final version already, no change required.

The case need some improvement but mostly from factory side (reduce cost by reduce defeat parts rate) , the paint can be future improved.

Firmware need regular update to improve the stability but it is fine now.

Lightning DS need a lot of work and we are working on it.

The good thing I have seen is firmware is stable so it wont effect our progress to add USB hard disk read function as well as DSD upsampling in the future. However the current situation of Lightning DS will result in delay of iPhone and Android version of software.

I was seriously considering buying an Aurender X100 until... I read about the Aries.

Indeed, since I spend more and more time streaming from HiFi QOBUZ to explore new music rather than listening to my 'static' library :-), the AURALIC ARIES might be a better alternative for me ?

BUT... I would like to know if, when used as a Local Music player; the SQ of the AURALIC ARIES is as good as if I was using an AURENDER X100 ?

Also, since I do not like NAS too much, does someone know when can we expect the USB-HD support. A local 512 Gb SSD drive will do it for me. No need for Tetrabites over the network...

thanks

PS: when streaming QOBUZ, do we really have acces to 16/44 streaming (assuming you get a Qobuz's HiFi Subscription) ? And does it display the QOBUZ desktop interface or is it enbeded into the Auralic interface ?

HD Support should be Q 3/4 since that was the last date and Mr. Wang has said above.

thanks

The sound quality of Qobuz through Aries is amazing. It streams full 16/44 when you have the subscription. The Qobuz desktop is not used, Lightning DS uses its own interface instead. I like the interface even though some minor bugs still have to be solved and some functionality could be added (such as moving up from a track-only to the playlist of a full album).

The sound quality of Qobuz through Aries is amazing. It streams full 16/44 when you have the subscription. The Qobuz desktop is not used, Lightning DS uses its own interface instead. I like the interface even though some minor bugs still have to be solved and some functionality could be added (such as moving up from a track-only to the playlist of a full album).

Thanks a lot for talking the Time to reply. Could You post some screen shot of the Lightning DS Qobuz interface ?

Thanks in advance

Thanks a lot for talking the Time to reply. Could You post some screen shot of the Lightning DS Qobuz interface ?

Thanks in advance

Just so you know you can download the app and play around with it too. At least you can see the UI.

Thanks a lot for the Qobuz infos.

Nice QOBUZ interface. But...I suppose it is not possible to buy/download files from Qobuz through the ARIES ? So we still à Pc/Mac for this ?

So my the final question becomes: what is the advantage of the ARIES over à dedicated Mac if we just want to stream QOBUZ or play local music files ? Is it "just" the simplicity of not having to use à computer or is the SQ from the ARIES much better than a Mac + Audirvana + Qobuz-Desktop ?

I dont think this is the correct place to complain but just want to tell you the true story.

After eating a whole batch of 2000pcs NG(not good from our standard) parts in May, the supplier was unwilling to provide any future service even we double the price. After a long negotiation with them, they agreed to delivered 1000pcs that meet our QC standard at doubled price. After the parts arrived, there are still 50% rejected, however, they wont accept any return so we have to pay for everything. The print error on all 1000pcs is actually last issue we have concern.

The supplier has been cut off already but we will loss the money we already invested for plastic mold (probably cant be used for other supplier) and looking for a new one. The major problem is looking for another supplier. We no longer taking new order since middle of July because of this but has to fulfil existing back orders.

HiFi is not a good industry, small quantity but high quality standard, no supplier is willing to work with. Huge money lost already, something we paid for the lesson as the first time we use plastic, never mind...

Hi Wang.

here in Portugal there are plenty of plastic mould industries that are used to very precise work...in case you wonder...

Your story is very worriyng and I appreciate your direct and frank way of communicating it...

So Ted can we expect a Aries, PSA Directstream combo review anytime soon??

My Aries has been playing nonstop for like 5 days (AES to Directstream currently). I am at 1.5 firmware, app version 1.1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13926[/ATTACH]

Eric,

My Directstream review will touch upon all sources used, not just Aries.

My Aries review will be in a combined article/review about three of the options available to audiophiles. I will be comparing/contrasting the effort, cost, complexity, usability and sq of a signal path that is centered around a NAS-based streamer bridge (Aries), a heavier-weight Linux server with internal storage (Aurender X100L) and a full blown tweaked-out WS 2012 dual-pc JRiver/Jplay server (my reference dual CAPS setup). It's unfair to simply compare one aspect alone.

.... I will be comparing/contrasting the effort, cost, complexity, usability and sq of a signal path that is centered around a NAS-based streamer bridge (Aries), a heavier-weight Linux server with internal storage (Aurender X100L) and a full blown tweaked-out WS 2012 dual-pc JRiver/Jplay server (my reference dual CAPS setup).

And the winner is... ??? :-)

When can we expect to have the pleasure to read your ARIES Review ?

Thanks Ted. I'm really looking forward to your thoughts since I have a PSA DS and I plan on getting an Aries. I'm also considering going simpler by replacing both my DS and my Ayon Spirit III with a Diavelet 200, but would keep the Aries as the source.. but that's down the road and I really need to get a good long listen to the Diavelet before pulling the trigger..