IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

I'm looking for any feedback on using a wifi range extender with the Aries.  Specifically, I'm thinking about a TP-Link E500 with ethernet jack to hardwire the Aries to solve problems I have running it wireless in my setup.  When I run it direct to my router it works fine but I can't leave it this because the cable is strewn through the house.

10 hours ago, raudio said:

I'm looking for any feedback on using a wifi range extender with the Aries.  Specifically, I'm thinking about a TP-Link E500 with ethernet jack to hardwire the Aries to solve problems I have running it wireless in my setup.  When I run it direct to my router it works fine but I can't leave it this because the cable is strewn through the house.

I have a configuration similar to your description, using the TP-Link TL WA 830 RE range extender.

It works great but sometimes I need to unplug the TP-Link power supply to force a reset because it seems to block the signal to the Aries and the Ipad. Luckly it always goes to the predefinitions automaticly.

Setting up the range extender with the router, also from TP-Link could the a pain... but for the low price I recommend that I try it.

On 2017-10-08 at 7:28 PM, Guido Del Giudice said:

only on wifi ...I have not tried the Ethernet port

You should give it a try. I use a TP-Link RE450 in wireless adapter mode (wireless connection to the router)>50cm Cat 6a ethernet cable>network switch (input port 1/output last port important)>15cm Cat 6a ethernet cable>Aries Mini. It sounds much better than using wireless only IMO. A cheap 5-port D-Link DSG-105 switch is sufficient for local content, but a audiophile switch will make Tidal/Qubos shine!

🎛️  Audio System  

6 minutes ago, Guido Del Giudice said:

Thanks @Cornan .... Why do you need the network switch?

Your welcome! A network switch just sounds so much better to my ears. I guess it is because the signal gets regenerated, prioritized (QoS) and do not loose speed between the wireless adapter and Aries Mini. 

🎛️  Audio System  

I am looking for feedback on the use of the liner alimentation for the aries mini, I don't use  the mini as a DAC, and I would like to know if the use of the PSU improves the sound quality of the streamer part of the auralic aries mini. (I know it improves the DAC quality of the aries mini).

Last question how does compare the streamer part of the mini versus the Altaïr.

Thank you

5 hours ago, Enrok said:

I am looking for feedback on the use of the liner alimentation for the aries mini, I don't use  the mini as a DAC, and I would like to know if the use of the PSU improves the sound quality of the streamer part of the auralic aries mini. (I know it improves the DAC quality of the aries mini).

Last question how does compare the streamer part of the mini versus the Altaïr.

Thank you

sBooster LPS definitely improves the streamer section of my Aries Mini...but not as much as when I use the internal DAC...difficult to quantize

Auralic Aries Femto > Yulong DA8 Hoer-Wege mods > KEF LS50W, [iSine 10,  Denon D7200] 
Desktop - Adam Artist 5 and Sub 8

On 10/10/2017 at 9:12 PM, Cornan said:

Your welcome! A network switch just sounds so much better to my ears. I guess it is because the signal gets regenerated, prioritized (QoS) and do not loose speed between the wireless adapter and Aries Mini. 

I use a USB HD connected directly to the Aries Mini but obviously Tidal is streamed from the Wi-fi router...would there be any advantage in my case?

Auralic Aries Femto > Yulong DA8 Hoer-Wege mods > KEF LS50W, [iSine 10,  Denon D7200] 
Desktop - Adam Artist 5 and Sub 8

My Aries is 3,5 years old now and I have doubts it doesn't sound as good as it used to. It is a small computer after all and computers tend to get slow, glitchy and erratic as they age. I need to restart it twice a day, sometime it freezes when my fridge goes on (maybe due to beta firmware ). What is the expected lifespan of CA products like this anyway?

Say NO to ROON

45 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

My Aries is 3,5 years old now and I have doubts it doesn't sound as good as it used to. It is a small computer after all and computers tend to get slow, glitchy and erratic as they age. I need to restart it twice a day, sometime it freezes when my fridge goes on (maybe due to beta firmware ). What is the expected lifespan of CA products like this anyway?

Do you tried go back to the 4.1.0 firmware to see if all that still happens? 

1 hour ago, FIndingit said:

Have the fridge serviced, the starter switch is causing problems, especially if the noise can be heard through the speakers. I would expect CA gear to last at least 15 years, after which all electrolytic caps can be replaced. Semiconductors should last, but optocouplers fail over time. If the temperatures are maintained within limits, gear will last a long time. The way things are going, there will be powerful computers on a USB stick as well as a DAC before long.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 5 weeks later...

Some novice Auralic Aries Femto user impressions and questions -

My DAC is very nice, but does not process DSD. So I have Aries process DSD to PCM and feed my DAC via AES/EBU that way. I found it did remarkable job doing it, and Aries femto feed sound way superior then of OPPO-105, when playing identical dsf files. I wonder if someone compared native DSD to converted - amd I missing something (I can only compare to inferior OPPO-105 DAC , which is not fair).
The other interesting thing is MQA "decoding". Some of Tidal "master" recording in MQA appear in 192, some in 96. Interesting what triggers Aries to change frequency. And no, MQA recording do not sound as nice via Aries as HDtracks digital downloads, losing tons of soundstage and air around instruments.
Wonder if someone have different or similar experience. I am running 5.1 beta and everything is working very smooth (collection of 50,000 tracks +Tidal)

Today I instaled the beta 5.2 firmware on the Aries Femto and although I haven’t listen enough to draw a conclusion about sound quality everything is running ok.

My TEAC UD 501 dac shows the high sample rates of the “masters” files on Tidal, and the Lightnind DS shows the MQA logo... but are am I getting better sq as before with fw 4.1?...

Does someone have some conclusions?

• 3 weeks later...