IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

3 hours ago, Hauser said:

That seems strange; my Aries changed from Beta to full ver.5 on June 7th.  I'd be surprised anyone was still on Beta firmware.

Martin.

That 5.0 is still a beta according to Mr Wang. They only changed the name. It will be a beta for a long time to come.

5 hours ago, mikey8811 said:

No need for any slurs. I can understand you being a fanboy but please think before posting. The simple fact in my case is it doesn't work. All along, there was nothing that needed fiddling with after the initial setup and the Aries worked decently until this beta firmware came along - no "piloting" needed. Computer and device firmware and software updates, whatever - they just work, and yes even in beta they do not fail to this degree. PS Audio does it all the time to their Direct Stream DAC and it always works glitch free - whether you like the sound or not is another thing.

I was just voicing my frustration as others have here with this latest beta firmware and am not a lone voice. But 'nuff said lest it descends into a flamefest. I'm outta here as soon as I get a new streamer.

Can't say .... i never do Beta's ...... can only say that i never had any issues with Auralic's final firm / software OR hardware. Period ! ;-) Good luck with your new stuff ! 

I do have a complaint about the current software but maybe someone can tell me how I'm dumb.  I don't use volume control(turned off) but you can still adjust the volume although it doesn't have an effect on output I think.  But if you accidentally adjust the volume to less than 100 I can't play my DSD files.  It took me 20 min to figure out why they wouldn't play and they play fine now.  I believe the accidental volume change happened after I upgraded to the newest lightning DS but not certain.

i like my Aries a lot despite this quirk

2 hours ago, mfalcon said:

I do have a complaint about the current software but maybe someone can tell me how I'm dumb.  I don't use volume control(turned off) but you can still adjust the volume although it doesn't have an effect on output I think.  But if you accidentally adjust the volume to less than 100 I can't play my DSD files.  It took me 20 min to figure out why they wouldn't play and they play fine now.  I believe the accidental volume change happened after I upgraded to the newest lightning DS but not certain.

i like my Aries a lot despite this quirk

Wow,,, that is an oddity and a BUG IMO. Certainly needs to be reported and fixed.

19 hours ago, mikey8811 said:

That 5.0 is still a beta according to Mr Wang. They only changed the name. It will be a beta for a long time to come.

I've always assumed that Beta versions are opt in- opt out whereas full versions are compulsory.

Martin.

13 hours ago, Doak said:

According to Auralic support page, 5.0 is now current firmware on all but Aries. Must assume there is a very good reason for this - as some of us have directly experienced.  See link:

Current Device Firmware

Thats interesting.  When the first Beta came out, I tried changing settings using the web interface.  As soon as I set volume control to off, Aries wouldn't re-boot or reset.  Fix involved Aries vacation to the dealer; came back refreshed and been woking fine since.  So if I'm still in Beta, I'm surprised that the DSP options have been removed but thinking Aries brain can't cope with the additional work.  I just looked at the Lightning settings and firmware says Ver.5, no mention of beta; seems contradictory to the link.  Possibly Mr Wang could clarify the confusion.

Martin.

5 hours ago, Hauser said:

Thats interesting.  When the first Beta came out, I tried changing settings using the web interface.  As soon as I set volume control to off, Aries wouldn't re-boot or reset.  Fix involved Aries vacation to the dealer; came back refreshed and been woking fine since.  So if I'm still in Beta, I'm surprised that the DSP options have been removed but thinking Aries brain can't cope with the additional work.  I just looked at the Lightning settings and firmware says Ver.5, no mention of beta; seems contradictory to the link.  Possibly Mr Wang could clarify the confusion.

Martin.

I'm now on beta 5 with my Aries femto and it sounds good too. However the Lightning web interface with all the options still works fine with beta 5. I think the web interface actually works better and quicker with this current beta 5.  Among this I can choose between the four filter settings and I prefer the "precise" setting. I can't understand why you can't use the web interface with this current beta 5 ??

I got some serious trouble with the last version 5. beta 5 when trying to rescan my library (Lightning server on NAS). The Aries stoppet several times, losing contact with my network and at last nothing would work.  I have to do several resets to get it up and go again..back to version 4.1.0 i managed at last to rescan my library. There was a little moment I think i also have to contact my local dealer to get it working again...

Now testing beta 5 version I haven't tried a rescan of my library... before doing this" for safety" I will go back to  current device version 4.1.0. 

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

11 minutes ago, atletico said:

I'm now on beta 5 with my Aries femto and it sounds good too. However the Lightning web interface with all the options still works fine with beta 5. I think the web interface actually works better and quicker with this current beta 5.  Among this I can choose between the four filter settings and I prefer the "precise" setting. I can't understand why you can't use the web interface with this current beta 5 ??

I got some serious trouble with the last version 5. beta 5 when trying to rescan my library (Lightning server on NAS). The Aries stoppet several times, losing contact with my network and at last nothing would work.  I have to do several resets to get it up and go again..back to version 4.1.0 i managed at last to rescan my library. There was a little moment I think i also have to contact my local dealer to get it working again...

Now testing beta 5 version I haven't tried a rescan of my library... before doing this" for safety" I will go back to  current device version 4.1.0. 

Hi Atletico,

I just had another look on the web interface to see whether I had missed something but I still can't find any filter settings,  maybe my advanced years.   Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Martin.

37 minutes ago, Hauser said:

Hi Atletico,

I just had another look on the web interface to see whether I had missed something but I still can't find any filter settings,  maybe my advanced years.   Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Martin.

Hi Martin,

This is my current web interface showing the processor option..

Aries beta 5.tiff

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

1 hour ago, atletico said:

Hi Martin,

This is my current web interface showing the processor option..

Aries beta 5.tiff

Hi Atletico,

Thanks for the screenshot.  Unfortunately my web interface hasn't got the 'library setup' or the filters.  I suspect I'll have to try and reload the web interface and see what happens.  Appreciate your efforts to help.

Martin.

20 hours ago, Hauser said:

Hi Atletico,

Thanks for the screenshot.  Unfortunately my web interface hasn't got the 'library setup' or the filters.  I suspect I'll have to try and reload the web interface and see what happens.  Appreciate your efforts to help.

Martin.

Just done the reload and now get library setup but processor setup still doesn't include DSP options.  Happy enough with the sound, occasionally a bit much base.

Martin.

6 hours ago, Leeuwarden said:

Are you referring to "Filter Mode"? 

Just took a look at my Web page settings and realized that the filter mode choices have vanished. Re-sampling and other choices are still there, but no filter modes.

That's AOK with me. I have NO reason to use anything but the "Precise" mode. IMO the others degraded the sound.

3 minutes ago, Doak said:

Just took a look at my Web page settings and realized that the filter mode choices have vanished. Re-sampling and other choices are still there, but no filter modes.

That's AOK with me. I have NO reason to use anything but the "Precise" mode. IMO the others degraded the sound.

They were still there over the weekend.

I remember trying the different modes out and still preferred Precise. Dynamic was second.

Haven't the time to try today to see if they are still there.

47 minutes ago, mikey8811 said:

They were still there over the weekend.

I remember trying the different modes out and still preferred Precise. Dynamic was second.

Haven't the time to try today to see if they are still there.

Still there on my Altair on 5.0 and in the browser interface

On 6/20/2017 at 3:16 PM, Pedro Romão said:

People... Filter options only appear if you resample at least one frequency. Otherwise is not available. I remember people requesting Auralic to do this in previous Betas. Oh well...

Very good to know.

Now, does that make sense though??

Finally - Auralic's own Community Forum:

Got an email this morning with invitation to new Auralic in-house forum. 

Might be a very good thing and worth a try.

"Dear AURALiC subscribers and product owners,

After a bustling year and a half at AURALiC that saw new product releases, significant software and firmware updates, and a full schedule of shows and events, we’re renewing our dedication to giving back to the hi-fi community that has been so supportive of our growth along the way.

That’s why we’re pleased and excited to share with you an exciting new resource for hi-fi news and conversation: the AURALiC community forum. We believe that opportunities for the open exchange of ideas and views is vital to the health and future of high-end audio, and 
community.auralic.com is part of our effort to support those ideals.

We’ll make sure to share what’s going on with AURALiC through the community, but it’s first and foremost a resource for you, to meet fellow hi-fi enthusiasts and to share perspectives. We hope you’ll be the first to come say hello — we can’t wait to see you there!"

19 hours ago, Doak said:

Very good to know.

I agree, good to know but doesn't make sense or I would have figured it out myself.  I don't do upsampling and don't understand there should be a connection between upsampling and the filters.  Auralic could have made this clear in the sidebar explanations.  The new dedicated forum may be the solution to these sorts of problems, depending on Auralic's attentiveness.  Saying that, Mr Wang has shown reasonable interest on this site.

Martin

20 hours ago, Doak said:

Very good to know.

I don't re-sample. At least not actively.

My DAC tops out at 352.8 kHz and the 384 kHz band is automatically downsampled to 192 kHz - I don't know why?

The filter controls have always appeared from the first day of this firmware. They are still there today.