IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

20 minutes ago, acaro said:

Has anyone used the W4S Remedy Reclocker with the Aries LE?  I've been thinking of this option or upgrading to the Aries with Femto.  Both options have pluses and minuses, but wanted input on the sound differences.

By the things I have read there will be plenty of Aries with Femto for sale!

27 minutes ago, 2string1 said:

By the things I have read there will be plenty of Aries with Femto for sale!

Things seem to bee settling down. They are here.

It did take re-installation of the Aries. Now all appears to be well.

Scanned and indexed 250GB SSD in well under 1 minute.

Operation has been solid.

At this moment I can find exactly ZERO Aries-Femto for sale. 

44 minutes ago, Morph said:

So the Femto is not really worth the extra outlay over the LE?

The difference is IMO minimal, and could possibly be attributed to the linear power supply (with the Femto). If it's "worth the extra outlay" is something only you can decide, so try to do some serious listening tests before deciding.

I've noticed with the change to version 5 that I now hear more base and treble.  I was going to try modifying the sound on the web interface by selecting the various DSP options.  These no longer appear available.  Have Auralic pulled this feature as being to taxing on Aries processor or am I not looking in the right place?

Martin.

On 07/06/2017 at 8:43 PM, Doak said:

At this moment I can find exactly ZERO Aries-Femto for sale. 

I have an Aries Femto model with an SBOOSTER BOTW Ultra which is an improvement over the Aries linear power supply. I am in the UK.

Happy to sell if anyone is interested, PM me.

On 07/06/2017 at 7:47 PM, acaro said:

Has anyone used the W4S Remedy Reclocker with the Aries LE?  I've been thinking of this option or upgrading to the Aries with Femto.  Both options have pluses and minuses, but wanted input on the sound differences.

I have both a full Aries and an Aries LE. The Aries does sound quite a bit better than the LE, but how much so will depend upon the rest of your system. I use the LE into a Naim Mu-So and I wouldn't bother going for the full Aries in that kind of a set up. I use the Aries Femto in my main system where the difference is definitely worthwhile.

A firmware release a while back bricked all units that were connected by Ethernet and units had to go back to China for a fix. Whilst my Femto unit was gone, I put my my Aries LE into my main system and powered it with an SBooster Ultra and I also used the W4SRUR. I found the sound to be almost as good as the full Aries powered by SBooster and pretty much equal to full Aries powered by the Aries LPS.

I don't know if that helps at all - probably not much!

Me too. I have a Femto Aries that I am happy to sell.

Most of the time is now spent restarting the Aries and rescanning rather than playing music.

The library is empty even when you can still play music from an existing playlist. It then drops out halfway and then even the Aries is not found and requires a reboot again.

When you rescan the full library on the web app, the Lightning DS controller still says your library is empty. You need to refresh the cache and when you do that, it intialises the library again. My iPhone gets super hot when it does that and the battery just runs down tremendously. It can't be that good for the phone.

At this rate it seems to be a liability and I don't want to have to replace my iPhone too.

There doesn't seem much point in giving feedback because Auralic just says they cannot reproduce the issue on their end and blames it on the network. I do not know what network they run but mine is fine with everything until this firmware came along.

It's sad because the sound quality is decent when it actually works.

I just hope the ultraRendu and these other streamers get launched soon.

1 hour ago, mikey8811 said:

Me too. I have a Femto Aries that I am happy to sell.

Most of the time is now spent restarting the Aries and rescanning rather than playing music.

The library is empty even when you can still play music from an existing playlist. It then drops out halfway and then even the Aries is not found and requires a reboot again.

When you rescan the full library on the web app, the Lightning DS controller still says your library is empty. You need to refresh the cache and when you do that, it intialises the library again. My iPhone gets super hot when it does that and the battery just runs down tremendously. It can't be that good for the phone.

At this rate it seems to be a liability and I don't want to have to replace my iPhone too.

There doesn't seem much point in giving feedback because Auralic just says they cannot reproduce the issue on their end and blames it on the network. I do not know what network they run but mine is fine with everything until this firmware came along.

It's sad because the sound quality is decent when it actually works.

I just hope the ultraRendu and these other streamers get launched soon.

Is this with the latest 5.0 firmware (which is still beta for Aries) or something else? 

4 minutes ago, mikey8811 said:

Would you like to buy another Aries?

I guess Auralic will jeep you as a customer and lose my patronage.

I've used every Auralic digital product the company has ever produced. I've also used competing products from many manufacturers. Based on my experience, I have no problem recommending Auralic to my friends and colleges. In fact, I just recommended Auralic to a friend who is an audio dealer because he needs a product that does exactly what the Auralic digital products do. 

Compared to most other HiFi companies, Auralic is very innovative and has an in-house team that develops and supports its software / firmware. I can't say for sure if another product would be better for you because I don't really know your situation. I just know it's tough to beat what Auralic is doing. That's why most HiFi companies can't compete in this area. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've used every Auralic digital product the company has ever produced. I

For me, the only Auralic product that I would buy and have bought is a streamer. I wouldn't buy their DAC's or amps - there are just better products out there.

And now since their streamer (in this current firmware incarnation) no longer works well in my setup, I don't think I will be buying any Auralic products period.

I generally do not jump onto the latest fad nor catch the upgrade bug easily. However, this time round the serious malfunctioning of the Aries firmware in my system and their nonchalance about it has tested my patience.

By the way, I notice from your profile that you use a microRendu yourself and not an Auralic streamer. Nor do you use any of Auralic's other products.

20 minutes ago, mikey8811 said:

For me, the only Auralic product that I would buy and have bought is a streamer. I wouldn't buy their DAC's or amps - there are just better products out there.

And now since their streamer (in this current firmware incarnation) no longer works well in my setup, I don't think I will be buying any Auralic products period.

By the way, I notice from your profile that you use a microRendu yourself and not an Auralic streamer.

Well .... i still don't think that it's a Auralic problem.

I had a Mini a Aries "femto" and now a Polaris ....... NO problems with any of them ! 

Could it be "the pilot"  ;-)   

6 hours ago, Frankie61 said:

Well .... i still don't think that it's a Auralic problem.

I had a Mini a Aries "femto" and now a Polaris ....... NO problems with any of them ! 

Could it be "the pilot"  ;-)   

No need for any slurs. I can understand you being a fanboy but please think before posting. The simple fact in my case is it doesn't work. All along, there was nothing that needed fiddling with after the initial setup and the Aries worked decently until this beta firmware came along - no "piloting" needed. Computer and device firmware and software updates, whatever - they just work, and yes even in beta they do not fail to this degree. PS Audio does it all the time to their Direct Stream DAC and it always works glitch free - whether you like the sound or not is another thing.

I was just voicing my frustration as others have here with this latest beta firmware and am not a lone voice. But 'nuff said lest it descends into a flamefest. I'm outta here as soon as I get a new streamer.