IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

try to perform an easy test to see if it helps or not. Just cover the metal parts on one side of the plugs with electrical tape (one thin layer) to prevent shield coupling  (AC/DC currents & ground interferences) or change to a unshielded UTP ethernet cable (Cat5 or Cat6/6a UTP) to see if the promblem still persist or not

ok then: just tried and...

- with ethernet disconnected static is still there

- with an UTP cat5 cable instead of the Vodka... static is still there too

:|

btw: USB too was disconnected (only power chord plugged) so it definitely is an RFI, not EMI, issue with fw 5.0 beta

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 minute ago, pl_svn said:

ok then: just tried and...

- with ethernet disconnected static is still there

- with an UTP cat5 cable instead of the Vodka... static is still there too

:|

OK, so not you have ruled out the AQ vodka ethernet cable. Time to move on to the other ethernet cabes to NAS and to Mac. Also, I would personally enable QoS and put AQ vodka cable into port 5 (if not in port 5 already). If none is helping check USB cables & toslink cables by chosing other available cables. Double check LightningDS web-settings. Make sure DAC filter is not set to none (I just saw Auralic mensioned something about it in the beta release). Disable anything you do not need. Tip! Make notes what does´nt help or what seems to reduce the issue (helps you to keep track of what you´ve done and what you have´nt done plus find clues to what could be a reason). All is just a matter of ruling out possible causes. 

20 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

btw: USB too was disconnected (only power chord plugged) so it definitely is an RFI, not EMI, issue with fw 5.0 beta

Great, then there is not need to check the USB cable. Network strenght (bandwidth if you use wifi somewhere in your setup. Use 5Ghz for any audio/video devices & 2,4Ghz for everything else) and network settings (static IP & QoS enabled is recommended) is worth a little double check though. There is plenty of apps useful for checking the network health, for example Fling & Netgear wifi optimizer. It is also worth checking the control point device to see if there is some apps that interfears. I personally had to uninstall the official Last.fm app from my Android device since it caused a cracking noise when the wifi connection to the device was lost temporarily.

@Cornan I may be wrong but...if static noise is always there even when my Aries is totally disconnected from everything (wi-fi too is disabled) but the LPS (and, btw, Vinnie Rossi's Mini also isolates it completely from the power line)... doesn't this mean it's the Aries itself emitting, *only under fw 5.0*, some RFI that gets picked by my tube pre or amplifier? (I recall the day I placed a RaspberryPi close to the preamplifier, with the HDMI port towards it... plenty of *loud* static)

what I should, probably, try is moving the Aries away from my tubes stuff (at the moment it is some 40cm away, on a lower shelf) but... it's not easy :(

... or shielding it with... aluminum foil, will that do for a shielding? :|

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

@Cornan I may be wrong but...if static noise is always there even when my Aries is totally disconnected from everything (wi-fi too is disabled) but the LPS (and, btw, Vinnie Rossi's Mini also isolates it completely from the power line)... doesn't this mean it's the Aries itself emitting, *only under fw 5.0*, some RFI that gets picked by my tube pre or amplifier? (I recall the day I placed a RaspberryPi close to the preamplifier, with the HDMI port towards it... plenty of *loud* static)

what I should, probably, try is moving the Aries away from my tubes stuff (at the moment it is some 40cm away, on a lower shelf) but... it's not easy :(

... or shielding it with... aluminum foil, will that do for a shielding? :|

My advice is not to assume anything. Too many things could cause this issue. The issue was only triggered by LitgthingDS 5.0. Be a Sherlock Holmes and try to find proof's. RFI, EMI, AC, DC, ground, software or what ever. Isolation is the key to success IMO. Address one path at a time. Make notes. ?

got a reply from Chris (Auralic support) just now, asking me (once more 9_9) if this is happening with stock LPS or Vinnie's

so... looks they are investigating:)

headphones system:

performed today some more tests and found... definitely it's the Aries emitting, under fw 5.0 beta only, some sort of RFI which gets picked by my tube preamplifier :|

in fact static noise becomes stronger (louder) if I move the Aries very close to my preamplifier and goes away by placing it on a lower shelf, underneath the one where a Metrum Hex is (DAC's big metal box acting, probably, as a shield. placing instead the Aries 1mt away, but still "in sight" of the pre, does not help)

hope they can fix this :(

oh, and... with the Aries placed where I usually keep it... static, using stock LPS, is a little louder than when using instead Vinnie Rossi's Mini to power it

headphones system:

No static noise here. Aries is sitting right on top of my Vega DAC and right next to my Merrill Audio preamp. But one other problem (re)occurs: firmware won't update from beta 5.02 to 5.04. I've tried unplugging and switching off Aries, but my app keeps saying that I have the latest firmware. Any suggestions?

try signing out of beta, from Lightning DS, then sign in again

headphones system:

Do you use a Synology NAS ? If it's the case, can you give us the Software version of DSM ?

I've got some issue of library unmounted or not mounted with my Synology NAS with the later updated. I've rollbacked to previous version but i've to do more testing.

please also report issues to Auralic (that's what betas are for ;) ) as... I was told I am, so, far the only one reporting static noise  :|

headphones system:

Dear Folks,

I have just got a unit of Aries and using it USB DAC to match with Yamaha CD-S3000. All the music files are stored in a NAS. They are connected via Cat7 Lan cables via a dedicated network switch. However, they seems not compatible well with a lot of random crackling noise on the background when playing the files - just like playing Vinyl LP with a lot of Static.
Any remedy ?
Thanks in advance for your comments and feedback. 

one more beta 4 issue (already reported to Auralic for beta1 :|):

my NAS is set to sleep every night at 3.00AM

if I forget to turn the Aries off (never had to with previous firmwares) then the library is emptied (Total Tracks -> 0), Path Name reverts to default "SMB" (I had it renamed to "Qnap HS-251") and I must re-scan my whole music collection from scratch :mad:

oh... wait... I also have to reboot the Aries first, else re-scan takes *forever* 9_9

headphones system:

26 minutes ago, Tuning said:

I only set it to sleep after 30 mins without operation. I have not noticed the symptom. Will check it out.

not the HDs (mines are set to *never* spin down): the NAS itself (must use WakeOnLan command, or briefly press power button, before using it, afterwards) ;)

headphones system:

Hi guys, 

Tomorrow I will receive the Aries with femto and linear psu. 

I have few questions:

- After I install the last beta 5 can I avoid to buy an apple product? Can I configure the Aries from web browser and use bubbleupnp from Android? 

- Are these filters in beta 5 applied also for bitperfect playback? As I understand for bitperfect there is no filter applied but I would like to have confirmation. 

- in the case i would like the lighting ds app and I decide to buy an used iPad... How old it can be? Lighting ds will work smooth also on a first generation iPad? 

Thanks 

4 minutes ago, Miracle1980 said:

Can I configure the Aries from web browser and use bubbleupnp from Android?

as far as I remember you have to configure your Aries, first time you turn it on, connecting via Lightning DS to its own "private" wi-fi network

you will also need Lightning DS to set up an account, register your Aries and enroll in the beta program

can't you borrow an iPad/iPhone from a friend, just for this?

headphones system:

yes but... not for firmware updates: the web UI only shows firmare version, there's no "check for updates" button

though fw updates are pushed to everyone and are automagically downloaded

when this happens... don't remember if you get just an alert, in Lightning DS, that firmware was updated or if you have to accept the update being applied

headphones system:

7 minutes ago, Miracle1980 said:

Is there a way to shuffle random songs from the entire library? 

No.

It would be great if it did though, have asked Auralic and was advised to make playlists with less than 1000 songs , then shuffle, which is not what I want.

I want to shuffle the entire library in Lighting DS, instead i have to resort to using Airplay from an iOS device using Tidal when i want to shuffle.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods