IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

11 minutes ago, atletico said:

I can understand this is confusing..but my comparison of 4.1 with the 5.0 beta 2 is done this way:

Tested  44.1/16 bit, 96/24 bit , 192/24 bit and DSD 64 all some of my"reference" music files from my NAS and  played also from my favorite music saved in TIDAL, all in 44.1/16 bit Hi-Fi.

1. Aries femto clock wifi mode.

2. Using Lightning Server , wifi 60 Mb/sec ,  all my music on NAS. TIDAL on my wifi.

3. External usb dac (Mark Levinson connected with Curious usb cable)

4. No MQA playback used for testing

5. No up sampling, but the 5.0 beta 2 filter "smooth"

Thanks! Much clearer.

Just one caveat: the Filter Mode setting only applies to internal DACs, so is a no-op for external DACs. But this is true on both 4.1 and 5.0 beta n.

11 minutes ago, 2string1 said:

When posted as a "Aries femto clock", what are you meaning?

Aries family is:

- Aries Mini

- Aries LE

- Aries

only the latter has femto clocks (one for USB and one for SPD/F outs)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

43 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Thanks! Much clearer.

Just one caveat: the Filter Mode setting only applies to internal DACs, so is a no-op for external DACs. But this is true on both 4.1 and 5.0 beta n.

Not my experience here:

Aries

Directly attached USB HD

via USB to Lampizator DAC

I can and do use the filter modes in this setup and they absolutely do work.

6 minutes ago, Doak said:

Not my experience here:

Aries

Directly attached USB HD

via USB to Lampizator DAC

I can and do use the filter modes in this setup and they absolutely do work.

I stand corrected then. Perhaps that is a feature of the Aries over the Mini.

Certainly on the latter, there is a group of parameters called  Internal DAC Settings. These comprise: Filter Mode, Output Phase, and Channel Balance.

Is it different on the Aries?

I'm really not sure what these settings would do for a renderer that is not doing DAC?

yup: I believe filters are applied when up/downsampling

(... and I do hope *only* if/when up/downsampling ;) )

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

4 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Is it different on the Aries?

this is Aries' web UI, and... definitely no "Internal DAC Settings"

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 07 13 11 PM.jpg

headphones system:

45 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

Aries family is:

- Aries Mini

- Aries LE

- Aries

only the latter has femto clocks (one for USB and one for SPD/F outs)

Does femto clocks really matter in the Aries if you have it going into a Vega with femto clocks? Off subject I know but how many femto clocks do I need?

8 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

yup: I believe filters are applied when up/downsampling

(... and I do hope *only* if/when up/downsampling ;) )

Ah thanks for the clarification. I do see it now in the Resampler section, even on my Mini.

I still believe, and sincerely hope, it only applies when up/downsampling. ?

Since the resampler and the web UI are new in 5.0, am I correct in saying this filter didn't exist in 4.1?

20 minutes ago, 2string1 said:

Does femto clocks really matter in the Aries if you have it going into a Vega with femto clocks? Off subject I know but how many femto clocks do I need?

they definitely do matter on s/pdif outs. not sure on USB as, given most (if not all modern) DACs use asynchronous mode, DAC's own clocks are the relevant ones

I guess, though, that everything matters and a cleaner incoming signal somehow helps

headphones system:

24 minutes ago, alice said:

Any of you with news on Aries 2, Iam looking to either get a microrendu or an Aries. Should I wait ?

two entirely different beasts

if you only need an output device to use with Roon (or soon Audirvana) then an Aries would be a waste

if you need a device that can also do library management, streaming and all... then a microRendu is not what you're looking for

;)

headphones system:

6 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

if you only need an output device to use with Roon (or soon Audirvana) then an Aries would be a waste

if you need a device that can also do library management, streaming and all... then a microRendu is not what you're looking for

;)

I get that, I should have explained before.

Here in Australia the Aries cost the same as what a microrendu with external power supply would cost.

I need to use it as Roon endpoint only. I current use a silent pc with sotm USB card as the endpoint.

9 minutes ago, alice said:

Here in Australia the Aries cost the same as what a microrendu with external power supply would cost.

I need to use it as Roon endpoint only. I current use a silent pc with sotm USB card as the endpoint.

oh, ok!

btw... as soon as MkII is released... mind putting up and Aries group buy for us all, please? xD

If you only will be using it as Roon endpoint... you might found the Aries sounds better standalone ;)

I bought it because Roon is now my reference music player but I need Qobuz streaming which Roon does not

headphones system:

1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

;)

Exactly correct.

Been there. Done that.

4 hours ago, Doak said:

The "Precise" setting by description is the closest to "no filter" (there's always a filter). 

Smooth IMO sounds "nice" and I find it useful i=on material that is less than stellar in SQ.

However, on many of my "reference" cuts/albums I find Precise a better choice. In comparison smooth limits dynamics and shaves the edges of transients. YMMV

My thoughts are very close to yours for the filters, I agree with you.

I thought "Precise" had better transients, also timing & microdynamics ... than "Smooth".

My preference is "Precise", sometimes I use "Smooth" ... time will tell of which I will

eventually prefer as I value both timing (Precise) and I have an aversion to brightness, so Smooth may prevail.

Though "Dynamic" and "Balance" have so far made little impression for me, the standouts are "Precise" and "Smooth".  Early days for me, may take another week to decide on a preference.

1. Aries Model -  Aries Femto
  2. Operation Mode - Lightning device
  3. DAC  - external, connected via Toslink to a Auralic Gemini 2000
  4. MQA playback - auto
  5. DSP or Upsampling: none, trying to focus on just the filters for the moment.

+1 on also hearing the differences in the filters, even though I am using an external DAC/Headamp

(not an Aries Mini).

One other thing that I have noticed is that the sound changes when I enable/disable

"PCM Auto Detect".  I find this unusual as I am using S/PDIF (Toslink) not USB ,

I think I prefer it disabled and Auralic says in the help to the right of the setting , 

"PCM Auto-Detect: Your streaming device will detect the maximum sampling rate supported by a USB-connected DAC and adjust accordingly."

Lightning_DS.jpg

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

2 hours ago, pl_svn said:

oh, ok!

btw... as soon as MkII is released... mind putting up and Aries group buy for us all, please? xD

If you only will be using it as Roon endpoint... you might found the Aries sounds better standalone ;)

I bought it because Roon is now my reference music player but I need Qobuz streaming which Roon does not

So what you are saying is If using Roon the microrendu sounds better than Aries.

11 minutes ago, alice said:

So what you are saying is If using Roon the microrendu sounds better than Aries.

no idea about the microRendu

I'm only saying the Aries standalone (using Lightning DS) sounds (slightly) better than as Roon endpoint

Roon, though, sounds more than good enough ;)

headphones system:

1 hour ago, Doak said:

I am NOT resampling and definitely DO have access to use the filters. 

Mine stays on Precise unless I need to Smooth something out.

definitely not what I want! :|

I want my streamer to, at least, also have a... "don't dare touching a single bit" setting 9_9

headphones system:

2 minutes ago, Doak said:

Did the mRendu, 2 computer, HQplayer, ethernet filters, PSUs on everything route.

Luckily  did not sell the Aries. Cost free upgrades brought playback through Aries on par IMO with all of that with a fraction of the hassle. The way I put is "if you like to spend your time dicking with computers and stuff go with the former. If want to spend your time listening to music go with the latter." ;)

Its not dicking around, I have lifetime Roon account and enjoying reading Roon meta while listening.But as you mentioned Roon on Aries is not the way.

As for your experience have you tried SOTM sMS-200?