IGNORED

Consumer Alert: Quad ESL Refurbishing Services

If you are considering have a set of Quad ESL (57's, 63's, etc.) refurbished, please be aware of some unsavory business practices by one of the leading firms, Quad Unlimited and its owner Wayne Piquet (aka PK).

If you do research on the various companies refurbishing Quad's, PK has a sterling reputation. His work even received a TAS "Golden Ear" award in 2007. And, one of the main Quad ESL information websites have a webpage dedicated to PK's services.

Well, I have personal experience with PK. Back in late 2011, I contracted him to refurbish a pair of Quad 63's. After months of delay in delivering my speakers and at $500 additional cost over our initial agreement, the speakers were basically worthless. They almost immediately started having issues with arching. Eight months after receiving my speakers I ended up selling them for $250 (my total costs were well over $3000). I tried to have my money refunded but PK absolutely refused. Given that I reside in Colorado and PK resides in Florida, taking legal action, which I seriously considered, was not in the cards. Besides, it was my word against a well known & respected industry expert.

For the most part, I had moved on until a recent development this week where I was able to learn that several other of PK's customers have had similar experiences (and worse). This all came about when PK did an e-mail blast to a large group of people to solicit the sale of a special pair of Quad's he had. He included everyone's e-mail address (vs doing a BCC). I did a "Reply All" to request removal from the list because of my previous experience with PK. I also included a very brief paragraph of my issue with PK. As a result, 2 other people came forward (via public e-mails) and related similar experiences. All of us lost $1000's so this is not trivial.

As I mentioned earlier, I know that people including some on CA had been very happy with PK's work but there is another side. If you want more information such as copies of the other complaints (e-mails), please PM me.

• 1 year later...

The problem with Wayne Piquet and his Quad ESL refurbishing services continue to be a serious problem. I just received yet another e-mail from one of Wayne's current customers that is experiencing the same problem (stated above) that me and others have had with Wayne.

So, if you are looking to have a pair of Quad ESL's refurbished, just be aware of these issues with Wayne. There are several other competent refurbishers out there.