IGNORED

Best 500$ Speakers?

Audioengine 5's are very good for $300, but best suited for nearfield pc/office listening. The only other active speaker line I am personally experienced with are ATC's, which need a couple more zeros (my ATC SCm150ASL's were killer!). Many good reviews on the Adam A5's in that price range.

But I have used the Cambridge Soundworks Model 12 system for 8 years and they offer a wonderful sound, with complete flexability and portability. Rock solid by the way. 8 years and not a single issue with the amp or any of the speakers.

I am thinking about upgrading the satelites to Anthony Gallo A'Divas...for schnitzengiggles. :-)

The other option you might consider is the AktiMate powered speakers. I've seen them new on ebay for around $500.

Mot.

It may seem weird but I am constantly amazed at how good the Acoustic Energy Aego speakers sound. For around $200 it is really amazing.

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/Aego_series/Aego_M.asp

They don't take up much real estate on the desk either.

The only real negative I had was bass extension (only goes to 60Hz or so) but they image really well.

Use a decent DAC and RCA interconnects and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I don't think you could do any better than the Quad 11L actives which can be had for very close to your budget if you pick them up used on Audiogon. I'm really pretty surprised that these little monitors don't get more "play" in the various internet forums (both the active and passive flavors). To my ears the bested some B&W 805's and some Sonus Faber monitors (by a wide margin) and did it for a fraction of the price of some of those more spendy options. I own a full surround setup of the passive L2 series for my home theater and couldn't be more pleased.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Both the Quad 11's and the B&W MM-1's are really good desktop (or bookshelf) active speakers. The retail on the B&W's is $500 and the used price on the Quads is around the same. Both good in my opinion.

If it was me though and I just needed decent sound in a small area around that price I would definately get the B&W Zeppelin. Especially as it is now equipped with Apple's Airplay. This is an amazing sounding all in one option with both a DIGITAL dock for iPods (iTouch) and a USB for computer, and a mini analog input to boot. Through on an iTouch and stream anything to it digitally. This thing sounds

amazingly good. It's $600.

David