IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

JS-2 questions

* is there any quality or performance difference between the two DC outputs?

* are there any placement suggestions

- could I place the JS-2 right next to another linear supply on the one shelf?

- is Right next to another JS-2 OK?

- avoid cases touching?

- And if on a shelf above or below is there an optimal spacing away vertically

As Jason said, the quality of the 2 outputs is the same. The left side of the JS-2 (when facing the front of the unit) is the heatsink that the voltage regulators are bolted to. You are unlikely to get either of your units very hot--and those big heatsinks and case are quite efficient--and even if you do you won't be cooking them the way I do during QC torture testing. So while side-by-side is fine, you might put the heaviest DC load on the unit that is on the left so that it's left heatsink is most exposed.

I'd also try to balance the loads between the units, but remember, the JS-2 can produce a whopping 7.2 amps at 12V (or 4.5A at 5V), and I doubt you are running either of your units anywhere near that.

5cm clearance above each one should be fine. Having some air in your cabinet is nice (in other words, a closed cabinet is not ideal for any gear).

Have a great weekend. I'm off to spend some time with John Swenson in the Bay Area. Will be playing with all sorts of fun things and cooking up new plans for the future. He is also rearranging his lab/workshop to make room for a small pick-and-place machine and a vapor-phase reflow oven. Will save major time and money on prototype rounds of boards with lots of tiny surface mount parts!

Best,

--Alex C.

Randy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13640[/ATTACH]

$925 as shown, plus shipping.

For the second transformer (IE) is for 5v or not? and Why it's not R-core, why must be IE?

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

Because it is not a transformer--it is the DC filter choke that is a key part of the design. :)

Ok thanks Superdad.

I'm looking for another LPSU 5v only.

Do you have that?

I'm quite impressive with JS-2 so much. I used it for my Mytek Brooklyn DAC. It's very much better than switching PS in Mytek itself.

For 5v output, i used it for my USB card compare to TeraDak 5v/3A lpsu that i've used before.

Teradak sounds harsh and noisy and dry compare to JS-2 which sounds so warm, darker background, very hugh and deep bass and more musical.

the improvement of SQ worth it.

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

Ok thanks Superdad.

I'm looking for another LPSU 5v only.

Do you have that?

I'm quite impressive with JS-2 so much. I used it for my Mytek Brooklyn DAC. It's very much better than switching PS in Mytek itself.

For 5v output, i used it for my USB card compare to TeraDak 5v/3A lpsu that i've used before.

Teradak sounds harsh and noisy and dry compare to JS-2 which sounds so warm, darker background, very hugh and deep bass and more musical.

the improvement of SQ worth it.

Our forthcoming UltraCap LPS-1 will be an excellent choice for your USB card. See here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/mystery-revealed-uptone-audio-ultracap%99-linear-power-supply-1-a-28609/

Cases are in and final preproduction boards just arrived this morning. John's initial testing is going great. Won't be long now.

Our forthcoming UltraCap LPS-1 will be an excellent choice for your USB card. See here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/mystery-revealed-uptone-audio-ultracap%99-linear-power-supply-1-a-28609/

Cases are in and final preprojduction boards just arrived this morning. John's initial testing is going great. Won't be long now.

Wow! That's great.

• 1 month later...
That's great Saurabh. Do you have a link or photo of the adapter cable you speak of? Others might find it useful. Thanks.

I had sent you a photo of the cable by email some weeks ago.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

Yep, I was the finder of that. ;-)

Thanks, I also have four: a Mac Mini on one output, and an IFi USB 3 + 2 Regens on the other output via a custom made cable: an LPS1 will soon go into one of the Regens to power it IMG_2863.JPGof course.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

IMG_2860.JPG
Thanks, I also have four: a Mac Mini on one output, and an IFi USB 3 + 2 Regens on the other output via a custom made cable: an LPS1 will soon go into one of the Regens to power it [ATTACH=CONFIG]29598[/ATTACH]of course.

Posted now, though in two messages.

I had sent you a photo of the cable by email some weeks ago.

• 4 months later...

Received famed unit. This one is _not_ overrated.

Now powering a 2014 Mac Mini and my OWC Mini Raid TB.

Setup was not difficult, and this is not my cup of tea.

Congrats Alex for a first class product from packaging to finish.

Will soon buy a used Jazz Nagra - will not one more.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

Received famed unit. This one is _not_ overrated.

Now powering a 2014 Mac Mini and my OWC Mini Raid TB.

Setup was not difficult, and this is not my cup of tea.

Congrats Alex for a first class product from packaging to finish.

Will soon buy a used Jazz Nagra - will not one more.

What fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I created a bootable SD card with OS and JRiver. Then I cracked open the MacMini to removed the Airport card, disconnected the HDD, and installed an UpTone Audio fan kit with JS-2 linear power supply. My music is now warmer, open, and more detailed.

Thanks Alex.

Brynn

NUC >  M5 > May KTE > Bliss KTE > Headphone of the day

Yesterday I created a bootable SD card with OS and JRiver. Then I cracked open the MacMini to removed the Airport card, disconnected the HDD, and installed an UpTone Audio fan kit with JS-2 linear power supply. My music is now warmer, open, and more detailed.

Hi Brynn:

Thanks for posting. Really glad to know that your installation went smoothly and that you are enjoying your JS-2 and Mac mini with MMK.

Feel free to phone or write for any support or advice.

Best,

-Alex C.

• 3 weeks later...

I searched and couldn't find a better thread so here goes:

I own both the JS-2 and an LPS-1.  My JS-2 has always been a one rail power supply, as I was hesitant to try it on both rails (with different gear), worried I would be playing with potential common ground issues.  So generally I use it's 1 output (and better dc cable) to power my Windows Caps NAA at 12V.   But this week I realized that I could take full advantage of it and power my SSD too.  I had been using a SOtM dual battery supply with custom 7V cable (includes resistor to downconvert to 5V for SSD), but decided to swap that out for output 2 at 7V.  I truly believe I am getting better, more solid imaging!  Go figure.

OK, so what is my question:  well, as I said I own an LPS-1 too, for my microRendu NAA, but when I am not using it there (can only do one NAA at a time) it goes unused...until yesterday.  I realized I have a place for it, to power said Windows Caps NAA JCAT USB card.  Up til now, I had been using an old custom RedWine bulky ps that Vinnie built for me years ago (was originally for Squeezebox) and connected to JCAT via LP4 (Molex).  I swapped it out last night for the LPS1, in external dc input mode (instead of LP4).  I am not sure I hear huge differences, but assuming it has to be a good thing.

So...my question:  being that I can now use all three rails of Uptone goodness, which would make more sense: JS-2 on SSD/LSP-1 on JCAT, or vice versa?  It is a given that one rail of JS-2 is on the 12V motherboard dc input.  Thx.

4 hours ago, ted_b said:

I searched and couldn't find a better thread so here goes:

I own both the JS-2 and an LPS-1.  My JS-2 has always been a one rail power supply, as I was hesitant to try it on both rails (with different gear), worried I would be playing with potential common ground issues.  So generally I use it's 1 output (and better dc cable) to power my Windows Caps NAA at 12V.   But this week I realized that I could take full advantage of it and power my SSD too.  I had been using a SOtM dual battery supply with custom 7V cable (includes resistor to downconvert to 5V for SSD), but decided to swap that out for output 2 at 7V.  I truly believe I am getting better, more solid imaging!  Go figure.

OK, so what is my question:  well, as I said I own an LPS-1 too, for my microRendu NAA, but when I am not using it there (can only do one NAA at a time) it goes unused...until yesterday.  I realized I have a place for it, to power said Windows Caps NAA JCAT USB card.  Up til now, I had been using an old custom RedWine bulky ps that Vinnie built for me years ago (was originally for Squeezebox) and connected to JCAT via LP4 (Molex).  I swapped it out last night for the LPS1, in external dc input mode (instead of LP4).  I am not sure I hear huge differences, but assuming it has to be a good thing.

So...my question:  being that I can now use all three rails of Uptone goodness, which would make more sense: JS-2 on SSD/LSP-1 on JCAT, or vice versa?  It is a given that one rail of JS-2 is on the 12V motherboard dc input.  Thx.

Hi Ted,

I also own both JS-2 and JCAT Femto and I have very good results powering my Audio Computer. Currently I am considering purchasing LPS-1 to power it or the SSD separately. 

My advice to you is to test your system with these various configurations and check for yourself which one sounds better. I would be really interested if LPS-1 would really make a big difference powering either SSD or JCAT separately vs. powering them directly from JS-2, as I am doing now.

Cheers!

Hi Ted:

Andru is right, you should try it both ways and see (hear).  It think it may depend upon how the JCAT card's circuits work.  If powering it externally somehow allows it to lift a portion of its USB output circuitry from being common to the computer's grounds and leakage (two different things), then there may be a real advantage to using the LPS-1 for it.

Of course once the ISO REGEN starts shipping you are going to want to use your LPS-1 on it. :D

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi Ted:

Andru is right, you should try it both ways and see (hear).  It think it may depend upon how the JCAT card's circuits work.  If powering it externally somehow allows it to lift a portion of its USB output circuitry from being common to the computer's grounds and leakage (two different things), then there may be a real advantage to using the LPS-1 for it.

Of course once the ISO REGEN starts shipping you are going to want to use your LPS-1 on it. :D

Hey fella, pardon the OT, but good to see you up and posting again!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

16 hours ago, Jud said:

Hey fella, pardon the OT, but good to see you up and posting again!

?  Has Alex been taking time off?  :) I didn't think so.  Those Regen ISOs don't make themselves.

57 minutes ago, ted_b said:

?  Has Alex been taking time off?  :) I didn't think so.  Those Regen ISOs don't make themselves.

Not sure that Alex C sit down and actually solder those ISO Regens himself, but I might be wrong? ?

He did use to solder those Oyiade DC cables, and that is really impressive IMO! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

4 hours ago, ted_b said:

Hi Ted.

No time off, but in a post in another thread, John let us know Alex's internet service had been interrupted by a storm.  Just letting him know it was good to see him back here after the eternity (it may have been as much as a day or two!) he was away.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

7 hours ago, Jud said:

Just letting him know it was good to see him back here after the eternity (it may have been as much as a day or two!) he was away.

Thanks Jud.  Yes, both phone and internet service are back up.  But boy, I sure got a lot done around here with both of those down!  My accounting books are all caught up for the first time in a while, and did some needed reorganizing of our parts "warehouse" (aka, the left side of the garage), and some inventory counting/consolidating in the production space.    Now onwards...

--Alex C.

P.S.  I did keep up a little on my cell phone and got a handle on the new CA site on mobile device.  Works quite well, though I really don't enjoy looking at my small phone with my old eyes for very long.