IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

3 hours ago, wanta911 said:

I'm in Perth Western Australia where the AC voltage is supposed to be 240V but it is notorious for fluctuating in a very wide band. I think the rest of OZ is changing or has changed to 230V but no plans for our state.

I have run the Netgear router easily on a 12V 1.8A SMPS so I don't think it's a hog, as I said the flicker was there also with the router disconnected.

Anyway thanks for the response - I'll go back to enjoying my new toy ?

The published nominal voltage for ALL Australia is 230v 50Hz which is the European standard. Australia used to be 240v 50Hz. BUT in capital cities close to a substation or transformer you can still receive 250+v easily. So just when they will drop back towards the published nominal voltage is anybody's guess. It's been over 5 years now and nothing much has seemed to change.

Regards

GG

1 hour ago, GryphonGuy said:

The published nominal voltage for ALL Australia is 230v 50Hz which is the European standard. Australia used to be 240v 50Hz. BUT in capital cities close to a substation or transformer you can still receive 250+v easily. So just when they will drop back towards the published nominal voltage is anybody's guess. It's been over 5 years now and nothing much has seemed to change.

Regards

GG

From the NECA website, 2018:

NECA’s concern is that in Western Australia, the standard Network Operator voltage is set at 240V (-6%/+6%). However, on the eastern seaboard, the standard voltage is 230V (-6%/+10%) which AS/NZS 4777.2:2015 seems to be aligned with. This results in a substantially reduced voltage rise tolerance in WA. 

Members have informed us that in metro areas but particularly in regional areas, of the Western Power SWIS network, average voltages regularly exceed 250 volts. In fact, in some areas voltages exceed 260V without any influence from renewable energy.

16 hours ago, wanta911 said:

From the NECA website, 2018:

NECA’s concern is that in Western Australia, the standard Network Operator voltage is set at 240V (-6%/+6%). However, on the eastern seaboard, the standard voltage is 230V (-6%/+10%) which AS/NZS 4777.2:2015 seems to be aligned with. This results in a substantially reduced voltage rise tolerance in WA. 

Members have informed us that in metro areas but particularly in regional areas, of the Western Power SWIS network, average voltages regularly exceed 250 volts. In fact, in some areas voltages exceed 260V without any influence from renewable energy.

ooh. new information. Thanks. I stand corrected.

• 5 weeks later...

What is the recommended way of powering a DigiOne Signature using UpTone Audio devices?

1. Power both the dirty and the clean side of the Signature with the two outputs of a JS-2? Would this defeat galvanic isolation?

2) Power the clean side with a LPS-1.2 and the dirty side with no matter what PSU?

and finally:

3) The LPS-1.2 comes with a 36w PSU. I understand this is a standard SMPS. Is it advisable to connect it to the same hydra that powers the DAC or should it better be powered by another mains spur? Can in principle the JS-2 power a LPS-1.2 (I understand that this would be a rather meaningless waste of resources)? 

Sorry if these questions have already been raised in different forms and thanks for the attention! 

On 10/13/2018 at 11:29 PM, nbpf said:

What is the recommended way of powering a DigiOne Signature using UpTone Audio devices?

1. Power both the dirty and the clean side of the Signature with the two outputs of a JS-2? Would this defeat galvanic isolation?

For the benefit of all, I am going to give the long answer to this common question.

Rather uniquely among linear power supplies, we go to great lengths (hand-cutting/punching the electrically insulating high thermal coefficient pads we use for the regulators) to "float" the DC output "grounds" (-ve) of the JS-2. Why go to all the trouble of building a high-current, low-noise, low-output impedance power supply only to invite grunge back in from the AC mains ground of your house--especially since a lot of "power conditioners" dump noise into the ground connection.  (Of course we do ground the chassis and transformer to AC mains ground for safety.)

However, because the JS-2 uses just one set of Schottky diodes, and one large DC choke/inductor (one of the keys to our design), its two completely separately regulated outputs do share a common DC output -ve ("ground").

So yes, if you are powering two devices which are truly galvanically isolated from one another (e.g. a computer and the downstream side of an ISO REGEN, or the two sections of the DigiOne Signature in your case), using the two outputs of a JS-2 for both will defeat the galvanic isolation.

2) Power the clean side with a LPS-1.2 and the dirty side with no matter what PSU?

That will work very nicely, though I would still suggest avoiding an SMPS for the "dirty" computer module side of the Allo system.

3) The LPS-1.2 comes with a 36w PSU. I understand this is a standard SMPS. Is it advisable to connect it to the same hydra that powers the DAC or should it better be powered by another mains spur?

I won't venture too deep into the misunderstandings of the evils of SMPS units (its the AC leakage to DC lines--blocked by our UltraCap supplies--and not the minor amount of very high frequency, spread-spectrum, extremely low amplitude noise they kick back into the AC mains; your wall is already much noisier that what a small SMPS contributes).  But it is general decent practice to plug the UltraCap "energizer"/charger brick directly into the wall and not into the output of whatever AC "power conditioner", filter, or isolation transformer you may have.

Can in principle the JS-2 power a LPS-1.2 (I understand that this would be a rather meaningless waste of resources)?

Not just in principle--in practice!  A JS-2 can (with AC mains of 120 or 240V) produce up to 7.2 amps at 12V, so it can easily charge at least a couple of UltraCap LPS-1.2 units (3 if one of the LPS-1.2s is always in low-charge-current mode, i.e. output load less that 0.5A). When given a choice, always use at least 12V to charge an UltraCap LPS-1.2 as less current will be drawn from the charger.

As for it being a waste of a lovely JS-2 output:  Yeah, there is that.  But if the second output is not otherwise being used it is reasonable use.  A number of people do that.

Sorry if these questions have already been raised in different forms and thanks for the attention! 

No problem at all!  Good info gets buried in old posts (I really should gather some of them together and update our FAQ pages), and you gave me an opportunity to expound a little on a few often asked about topics.  :D

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

For the benefit of all, I am going to give the long answer to this common question.

Rather uniquely among linear power supplies, we go to great lengths (hand-cutting/punching the electrically insulating high thermal coefficient pads we use for the regulators) to "float" the DC output "grounds" (-ve) of the JS-2. Why go to all the trouble of building a high-current, low-noise, low-output impedance power supply only to invite grunge back in from the AC mains ground of your house--especially since a lot of "power conditioners" dump noise into the ground connection.  (Of course we do ground the chassis and transformer to AC mains ground for safety.)

However, because the JS-2 uses just one set of Schottky diodes, and one large DC choke/inductor (one of the keys to our design), its two completely separately regulated outputs do share a common DC output -ve ("ground").

So yes, if you are powering two devices which are truly galvanically isolated from one another (e.g. a computer and the downstream side of an ISO REGEN, or the two sections of the DigiOne Signature in your case), using the two outputs of a JS-2 for both will defeat the galvanic isolation.

That will work very nicely, though I would still suggest avoiding an SMPS for the "dirty" computer module side of the Allo system.

I won't venture too deep into the misunderstandings of the evils of SMPS units (its the AC leakage to DC lines--blocked by our UltraCap supplies--and not the minor amount of very high frequency, spread-spectrum, extremely low amplitude noise they kick back into the AC mains; your wall is already much noisier that what a small SMPS contributes).  But it is general decent practice to plug the UltraCap "energizer"/charger brick directly into the wall and not into the output of whatever AC "power conditioner", filter, or isolation transformer you may have.

Not just in principle--in practice!  A JS-2 can (with AC mains of 120 or 240V) produce up to 7.2 amps at 12V, so it can easily charge at least a couple of UltraCap LPS-1.2 units (3 if one of the LPS-1.2s is always in low-charge-current mode, i.e. output load less that 0.5A). When given a choice, always use at least 12V to charge an UltraCap LPS-1.2 as less current will be drawn from the charger.

As for it being a waste of a lovely JS-2 output:  Yeah, there is that.  But if the second output is not otherwise being used it is reasonable use.  A number of people do that.

No problem at all!  Good info gets buried in old posts (I really should gather some of them together and update our FAQ pages), and you gave me an opportunity to expound a little on a few often asked about topics.  :D

Thanks for the clarifications. I guess a LPS-1.2 is probably the most straightforward way to get the best out of a DigiOne Signature and JS-2 + LPS-1.2 would be the deluxe solution!

If one is to use an SMPS within their audio system (the meanwell charger for the LPS 1.2 and / or a Sotm SPS-500, etc. ), is it best to plug that SMPS into a completely different AC line than the one being used for the remainder of your system? 

Also, if you have a free AC line available and you use that line for all of your Switching supplies (to keep them separated from your systems dedicated line), does that “SMPS AC Line” become very polluted since it may have like 4/5 different SMPS’s plugged into it? 

Thanks! 

On 10/20/2018 at 11:09 AM, agladstone said:

If one is to use an SMPS within their audio system (the meanwell charger for the LPS 1.2 and / or a Sotm SPS-500, etc. ), is it best to plug that SMPS into a completely different AC line than the one being used for the remainder of your system? 

Also, if you have a free AC line available and you use that line for all of your Switching supplies (to keep them separated from your systems dedicated line), does that “SMPS AC Line” become very polluted since it may have like 4/5 different SMPS’s plugged into it? 

Well this is the JS-2 thread so I won't go too deep into my oft-expressed options about the misunderstandings regarding the true evil of SMPS units. But it goes a bit like this:

Contrary to popular belief, modern SMPS warts and bricks do not actually kick much back into the wall in the way of high-frequency harmonics (multiples of their switching frequency).  There are strict government regulations about this, so the little that does go back in the wall is extremely high frequency (hundreds of KHz up to hundreds of MHz), spread wide, and very low in level.  

Due to other loads in your house (especially lighting circuits) your mains from the wall is far noisier that what the SMPS will kick in. In fact, some decent quality SMPS bricks actually "absorb" noise and quiet the line a bit (see this demo--and keep in mind that the wall outlet I used was from a dedicated line going right back to my house main panel--https://youtu.be/6S73A_fRtqE).

[By the way, all conventional linear power supplies (transformer>diodes>caps>regulators) will themselves put harmonics back into the AC mains--at multiples of the 50/60Hz line frequency--because they conduct current during only 50% of the AC wave cycle. The choke-filtered JS-2 is unique because due to the large choke, it is conducting current during over 97% of the AC wave cycle and thus does not put harmonics back into the wall.  As far as we know, it is the only power-factor-corrected linear power supply on the market.]

But back to SMPS:  Aside from their DC output not being very quiet (80mV peak-to-peak RMS noise is typical), the true evil of an SMPS is the copious amount of AC leakage current they put out--on their DC cables and hence into every component in your system that shares a common ground via analog or digital cable. (That is blocked by our battery-like UltraCap supplies, hence we can supply them with an SMPS as the the charging brick.)

Well I said I was not going to go on, so I'll stop there.  Back to your question: 

a) In the case of a charger for an UltraCap supply (BTW, for the LPS-1.2 it is not a Mean Well but a new 36W unit we spec'd; the MW was with the original LPS-1), since the DC performance of the charger does not affect the performance of the UltraCap's output, you don't need to worry about that side.

b) In the case of other SMPS units you may have, you will need to decide if you hear benefit from plugging it into the same or different mains lines from the rest of you gear, before or after isolation transformers, etc.

c) Possibly the best thing you could do for some of your SMPS units would be to shunt their DC output "grounds" to AC mains ground, thereby shunting away high-source-impedance leakage (though not the normal "touch current" leakage).  This is NOT needed on the UpTone-branded 36W SMPS supplied with the UltraCap LPS-1.2 as it is already shunted internally.

On 10/22/2018 at 4:03 PM, Superdad said:

Well this is the JS-2 thread so I won't go too deep into my oft-expressed options about the misunderstandings regarding the true evil of SMPS units. But it goes a bit like this:

Contrary to popular belief, modern SMPS warts and bricks do not actually kick much back into the wall in the way of high-frequency harmonics (multiples of their switching frequency).  There are strict government regulations about this, so the little that does go back in the wall is extremely high frequency (hundreds of KHz up to hundreds of MHz), spread wide, and very low in level.  

Due to other loads in your house (especially lighting circuits) your mains from the wall is far noisier that what the SMPS will kick in. In fact, some decent quality SMPS bricks actually "absorb" noise and quiet the line a bit (see this demo--and keep in mind that the wall outlet I used was from a dedicated line going right back to my house main panel--https://youtu.be/6S73A_fRtqE).

[By the way, all conventional linear power supplies (transformer>diodes>caps>regulators) will themselves put harmonics back into the AC mains--at multiples of the 50/60Hz line frequency--because they conduct current during only 50% of the AC wave cycle. The choke-filtered JS-2 is unique because due to the large choke, it is conducting current during over 97% of the AC wave cycle and thus does not put harmonics back into the wall.  As far as we know, it is the only power-factor-corrected linear power supply on the market.]

But back to SMPS:  Aside from their DC output not being very quiet (80mV peak-to-peak RMS noise is typical), the true evil of an SMPS is the copious amount of AC leakage current they put out--on their DC cables and hence into every component in your system that shares a common ground via analog or digital cable. (That is blocked by our battery-like UltraCap supplies, hence we can supply them with an SMPS as the the charging brick.)

Well I said I was not going to go on, so I'll stop there.  Back to your question: 

a) In the case of a charger for an UltraCap supply (BTW, for the LPS-1.2 it is not a Mean Well but a new 36W unit we spec'd; the MW was with the original LPS-1), since the DC performance of the charger does not affect the performance of the UltraCap's output, you don't need to worry about that side.

b) In the case of other SMPS units you may have, you will need to decide if you hear benefit from plugging it into the same or different mains lines from the rest of you gear, before or after isolation transformers, etc.

c) Possibly the best thing you could do for some of your SMPS units would be to shunt their DC output "grounds" to AC mains ground, thereby shunting away high-source-impedance leakage (though not the normal "touch current" leakage).  This is NOT needed on the UpTone-branded 36W SMPS supplied with the UltraCap LPS-1.2 as it is already shunted internally.

Thanks Alex! This is a helpful explanation and I think I better understand this now. 

I keep going back and forth between the supplied 36W shunted SMPS and 12V out from

an HDPlex to energize the LPS 1.2. I can’t decide which option is better overall for my system (in regards to sound quality, I don’t think I hear any difference). 

Also, from day one, I’ve been using the LPS 1.2 with a Ghent made Y split DC cable feeding the iso-regen AND an IFi iUsB 3.0 usb reclocker in a chain configuration. 

I’m also thinking if I continue to use both of these devices in a chain, that ideally two LPS 1.2 (one feeding each USB fixer individually), would also probably be better than using the Y DC cable to feed two devices?? (once again , honestly the answer to that question is above and beyond my actual knowledge, I’m just assuming there must be some negatives from using a Y DC cable and sharing one LPS 1.2 between two devices such as some sort of cross talk / leakage and also assuming it must put more stress on the LPS 1.2 since I’m probably doubling its amperage draw?? )

21 hours ago, agladstone said:

Thanks Alex! This is a helpful explanation and I think I better understand this now.

Sure.  But after this I will move any further UltraCap questions to the appropriate thread.  This is the the JS-2 thread! B|

I keep going back and forth between the supplied 36W shunted SMPS and 12V out from

an HDPlex to energize the LPS 1.2. I can’t decide which option is better overall for my system (in regards to sound quality, I don’t think I hear any difference). 

Well you should not.  That's what we've be saying all along.  x-D

Also, from day one, I’ve been using the LPS 1.2 with a Ghent made Y split DC cable feeding the iso-regen AND an IFi iUsB 3.0 usb reclocker in a chain configuration.

That's fine, just recognize that you are powering the isolated downstream side of the ISO REGEN, so if it is the last in the chain before your DAC (which it ought to be because the $10 Crystek CCHD-575 in the ISO REGEN is vastly better than the $0.75 Harmony XO used in the iFi iUSB3.0, and the signal integrity from the ISO REGEN is measurably better as well) then you are defeating the ISO REGEN's galvanic isolation (between the iUSB3.0 and the ISO REGEN) by using the same power supply.

I’m also thinking if I continue to use both of these devices in a chain, that ideally two LPS 1.2 (one feeding each USB fixer individually), would also probably be better than using the Y DC cable to feed two devices?? (once again , honestly the answer to that question is above and beyond my actual knowledge, I’m just assuming there must be some negatives from using a Y DC cable and sharing one LPS 1.2 between two devices such as some sort of cross talk / leakage and also assuming it must put more stress on the LPS 1.2 since I’m probably doubling its amperage draw?? )

Not so much "crosstalk," and I'd rather you stay away from the term "leakage"--which around here conjures the topic of AC leakage, of course none in this case.  And while the iUSB3.0 sucks about twice the current that our 230mA ISO REGEN does, I would not worry about "stressing" your UltraCap LPS-1.2.  

However, every component has its own pattern of instantaneous current demand spikes and each presents a varying impedance to the PS.  So yes, in an ideal scenario you would power each from their own supply.

Cheers,

--Alex C.

19 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sure.  But after this I will move any further UltraCap questions to the appropriate thread.  This is the the JS-2 thread! B|

Well you should not.  That's what we've be saying all along.  x-D

That's fine, just recognize that you are powering the isolated downstream side of the ISO REGEN, so if it is the last in the chain before your DAC (which it ought to be because the $10 Crystek CCHD-575 in the ISO REGEN is vastly better than the $0.75 Harmony XO used in the iFi iUSB3.0, and the signal integrity from the ISO REGEN is measurably better as well) then you are defeating the ISO REGEN's galvanic isolation (between the iUSB3.0 and the ISO REGEN) by using the same power supply.

Not so much "crosstalk," and I'd rather you stay away from the term "leakage"--which around here conjures the topic of AC leakage, of course none in this case.  And while the iUSB3.0 sucks about twice the current that our 230mA ISO REGEN does, I would not worry about "stressing" your UltraCap LPS-1.2.  

However, every component has its own pattern of instantaneous current demand spikes and each presents a varying impedance to the PS.  So yes, in an ideal scenario you would power each from their own supply.

Cheers,

--Alex C.

Thanks Alex!! Very helpful!! I’ll stop asking this line of questions on the incorrect thread!! Also, if you would like, maybe it’s a good idea to move this string of questions to either the LPS 1.2 or Iso Regen thread since I’ll bet I’m the only person who would find your answers to my questions helpful! 

Thanks again! 

By the way, we just finished building another batch of 14 JS-2s.  All but two have them shipped yesterday.  So a couple left for whoever comes first.  Just contact me to reserve one. 

But don't worry, we build 25/month, nearly every month.   :D

Choke-filtered, separately regulated dual-outputs, user adjustable.  Guaranteed continuous 5V/4.8A, 7V/5.9A, 9V/6.5A, 12V/7.2A (per one output, use of both outputs results in mix of maximums).

IMG_2140.thumb.JPG.4f7416318a5c3635459163412b5378ef.JPG

Hi Alex, OK I'm confused by this (which is not hard ?). So how best to use both outputs of the JS-2? If I'm powering my DAC which is galvanically isolated, will using the other JS-2 output to connect another upstream component defeat this isolation?

15 minutes ago, wanta911 said:

Hi Alex, OK I'm confused by this (which is not hard ?). So how best to use both outputs of the JS-2? If I'm powering my DAC which is galvanically isolated, will using the other JS-2 output to connect another upstream component defeat this isolation?

Well it depends on two things:

1) If the other device you are powering besides your DAC is an ISO REGEN, then you are not defeating the galvanic isolation of the ISO REGEN.

2) If you are not using an ISO REGEN, then there really is no GI to defeat by powering something else upstream with the other output of the JS-2.

[Though I guess if you are using a DAC whose USB 5VBUS-powered USB>I2S input board has digital isolators--on its I2S output lines--you would likely defeat that by powering another component besides the DAC with the JS-2.]

Hope that helps.

--Alex C.

P.S.  All the units in the photo a couple of posts up are now long gone.  The next batch of 12 we just started building will be ready to ship by November 16th (maybe a day or two sooner).  As of tonight 6 of those 12 are already reserved.

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well it depends on two things:

1) If the other device you are powering besides your DAC is an ISO REGEN, then you are not defeating the galvanic isolation of the ISO REGEN.

2) If you are not using an ISO REGEN, then there really is no GI to defeat by powering something else upstream with the other output of the JS-2.

[Though I guess if you are using a DAC whose USB 5VBUS-powered USB>I2S input board has digital isolators--on its I2S output lines--you would likely defeat that by powering another component besides the DAC with the JS-2.]

Hope that helps.

--Alex C.

P.S.  All the units in the photo a couple of posts up are now long gone.  The next batch of 12 we just started building will be ready to ship by November 16th (maybe a day or two sooner).  As of tonight 6 of those 12 are already reserved.

So, following up on these discussions, with the JS-2 powering (1) an Uptoned Mac Mini and (2) an Iso Regen, via a LPS 1.2, would it make a substantial difference if I got (2) off the JS-2, and had the LPS 1.2 into Iso Regen powered by a second JS-2 (or something of the like)? Ask because without a second power supply around, there is no simple trying and finding out? 

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

7 hours ago, sdube said:

So, following up on these discussions, with the JS-2 powering (1) an Uptoned Mac Mini and (2) an Iso Regen, via a LPS 1.2, would it make a substantial difference if I got (2) off the JS-2, and had the LPS 1.2 into Iso Regen powered by a second JS-2 (or something of the like)? Ask because without a second power supply around, there is no simple trying and finding out? 

Since the charging side of an UltraCap LPS-1.2 is 100% galvanically isolated from the output side (one of the main points of our bank-alternating UltraCap design--input is divorced from output at all times), a JS-2 that is charging an UltraCap unit and powering a Mac mini will not result in common zero-volt "grounds" between them and therefore will not defeat the galvanic isolation of the ISO REGEN.

So the answer to your question is no, charging your LPS-1.2 with a different supply that the JS-2 that is powering your Mac mini will not alter the galvanic isolation that is provided by your ISO REGEN.

Now of course anyone who has read just about any of our power supply threads knows that we still maintain that there is no advantage in the first place to powering your LPS-1.2 with a linear supply.  I won't rehash the reasons--just scroll up this very page to my post of October 22nd.

Still, it is fine if you wish to use a spare JS-2 output (or any other current/voltage-compatible LPS) to "energize"/charge your UltraCap unit.  And if you are going to do it with a JS-2, then please set it (the JS-2) to 12V as the UltraCap unit will draw less current from the JS-2 at that setting.

19 hours ago, Superdad said:

Since the charging side of an UltraCap LPS-1.2 is 100% galvanically isolated from the output side (one of the main points of our bank-alternating UltraCap design--input is divorced from output at all times), a JS-2 that is charging an UltraCap unit and powering a Mac mini will not result in common zero-volt "grounds" between them and therefore will not defeat the galvanic isolation of the ISO REGEN.

So the answer to your question is no, charging your LPS-1.2 with a different supply that the JS-2 that is powering your Mac mini will not alter the galvanic isolation that is provided by your ISO REGEN.

Now of course anyone who has read just about any of our power supply threads knows that we still maintain that there is no advantage in the first place to powering your LPS-1.2 with a linear supply.  I won't rehash the reasons--just scroll up this very page to my post of October 22nd.

Still, it is fine if you wish to use a spare JS-2 output (or any other current/voltage-compatible LPS) to "energize"/charge your UltraCap unit.  And if you are going to do it with a JS-2, then please set it (the JS-2) to 12V as the UltraCap unit will draw less current from the JS-2 at that setting.

Thanks a bunch, Alex. Since I have a spare output on the JS-2, I use it, which also makes for one less PS/LPS in the system. (I did read your earlier post.) It is all sounding quite fabulous, by the way.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, nbpf said:

Today I received the JS-2 that I had ordered about two weeks ago.

Thanks for your kind words. We hope you enjoy the JS-2 in your system.

It is funny:

I have read many of your posts in other threads.  And now you buy a JS-2.  But I still can not connect your real name to your CA member name (I suppose I could if I dig in e-mails for mention about planed use with DigiOne).  I really get a kick out of this! x-D

Cheers,

--Alex C.

21 hours ago, nbpf said:

What are the tolerances in the output voltages of the JS-2 for 5V, 7V, 9V and 12V when the outputs are not under load?

Typically about 1-2%.

21 hours ago, nbpf said:

I measure 5.00V on the output of my ifi 5V/2.5A PSU but only 4.91V on the output of my JS-2. Is this normal?

There is a good chance that your meter is a little off since most iFi iPower SMPS warts measure high under no-load (I just checked the 9V iPower I have here and with no load it outputs 9.3V). As I personally Q.C./test/burn-in every JS-2 we build, with a short cable I generally see 4.95-4.99V.

It does also depend upon where you are measuring it.  At the end of our supplied 1.5m 15awg there will have been a little drop.

More importantly than voltage under no-load is how well a PS holds up under not just typical loads but fast transient loads.  And the JS-2 excels there since the choke-filtered design (which feeds the regulators with a half-sine-wave and not a harmonics-ladden sawtooth as in conventional trans>diode>caps>regs>caps design) allows us to use rather small, low ESR caps after the regulators, keeping impedance low.

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Typically about 1-2%.

There is a good chance that your meter is a little off since most iFi iPower SMPS warts measure high under no-load (I just checked the 9V iPower I have here and with no load it outputs 9.3V). As I personally Q.C./test/burn-in every JS-2 we build, with a short cable I generally see 4.95-4.99V.

It does also depend upon where you are measuring it.  At the end of our supplied 1.5m 15awg there will have been a little drop.

More importantly than voltage under no-load is how well a PS holds up under not just typical loads but fast transient loads.  And the JS-2 excels there since the choke-filtered design (which feeds the regulators with a half-sine-wave and not a harmonics-ladden sawtooth as in conventional trans>diode>caps>regs>caps design) allows us to use rather small, low ESR caps after the regulators, keeping impedance low.

Thanks for the clarifications, I very much appreciated! 

I came to the idea of measuring the JS-2 voltage under no-load (and at the end of the supplied 1.5m 15awg) because I was experiencing under-voltage exceptions when powering a DigiOne Signature (DS). 

The exceptions were thrown no matter whether I was powering the DS with the JS-2 or with the 5V iPower and eventually turned out to be due to a poor assembly of the DS. Blame on me, they completely disappeared after I reassembled the DS.

It is a bit difficult to say who is the main culprit, but the DS sounds now gorgeous when powered by the JS-2 (dirty side) and by the LPS-1.2 (clean side). I guess I am settled with power supplies but I am going to try the JS-2 also on an old M2Tech hiFace Evo. Will it sound better than the DS? I do not think so but ... who knows?

Best,

nbpf

I have a JS-2 (borrowed from a friend) powering a i7 NUC8 (rated 28watt tdp) at 12v. When using HQP to upsample to dsd256, I see that the amber light on JS-2 flickers. Does anyone know what does it signify or is this a normal behavior ?