IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well thank you Henrik--for all your kind words!

I hope you don't mind, but I just cross-posted what you wrote into the Brooklyn power supply thread (https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/28056-linear-power-supply-for-brooklyn-which-one-youve-ever-tried/).

Over 50 Brooklyn DAC owners bought JS-2s in 2017, so it is clear there is real synergy.  We love it when the JS-2 is used for a "real" audio component such as a DAC or DDC--that's when it truly shines.  :D

I’m getting ready to join the club very soon! 

2 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

It’s a pity more dacs don’t have that Brooklyn option of the ext psu. Depends of course on the quality of a dacs inbuilt ps.

I was recently listening to a friend’s Holo Audio dac & wondered if my js-2 would have made an improvement, if that had been possible to implement. Mind you, that dac is a substantive thing & likely has a chunky ps.

I agree, though the analog stage of most DACs and preamps require a bi-polar (plus and minus) power supply.  So that is the big reason why not many upper-end DACs offer external DC power connections.  But there are a bunch of notable exceptions that I can think of off the top of my head:

exaSound

Merging NADAC

Metric Halo

Mytek Brooklyn

earlier Bel Canto

some MSB

RME and other pro-sound DACs

I own a Holo Spring DAC.  Its PS is a pretty simple but substantial affair (unlike the Brooklyn's stock supply it is at least a linear at), with most of it built right onto the main board.  So not easily supplanted.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

I agree, though the analog stage of most DACs and preamps require a bi-polar (plus and minus) power supply.  So that is the big reason why not many upper-end DACs offer external DC power connections.  But there are a bunch of notable exceptions that I can think of off the top of my head:

exaSound

Merging NADAC

Metric Halo

Mytek Brooklyn

earlier Bel Canto

some MSB

RME and other profound DACs

I own a Holo Spring DAC.  Its PS is a pretty simple but substantial affair (unlike the Brooklyn's stock supply it is at least a linear at), with most of it built right onto the main board.  So not easily supplanted.

Any list like that invites the question - which of them gets the biggest relative uptick with the js-2? Not the kind of comparison you’ll see in reviewer-land!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

24 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Any list like that invites the question - which of them gets the biggest relative uptick with the js-2? Not the kind of comparison you’ll see in reviewer-land!

I don't have a first-hand answer for you (I never make claims about what I have not heard with my own ears), but from a value perspective (relative to the price class of the DAC), replacing the cheap SMPS in the $10,000 Merging NADAC (which has a DC input port) would seem to rank pretty high. 9_9  And the handful of NADAC/JS-2 owners seem pretty happy (though I was not thrilled making them custom DC cables using that tiny Hirose plug).

image.thumb.jpeg.49a7f1a374c59a556dbd548a57dc8653.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi Alex (@Superdad), quick question. Do you know if the power cord that came originally shipped with the JS-2 has the shield drain wire connected to the ground pin on the IEC or the wall plug side (or both)? I left it in the drawer for a long time but plan to use it. To do this I have to replace the US plug for an EU schuko version.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

38 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Do you know if the power cord that came originally shipped with the JS-2 has the shield drain wire connected to the ground pin on the IEC or the wall plug side (or both)? I left it in the drawer for a long time but plan to use it. To do this I have to replace the US plug for an EU schuko version.

That is a very good question!  The 2meter cord we supply with the JS-2 is a 16AWG, 3-conductor, shielded model from Volex (part # volex 17602 10 B1).  I would imagine that the shield is tied, but to be honest I have never cut one open to find out.

Since you plan to replace the USA wall plug with a Schuko, you will find it very easy to test with a meter once you cut off the plug end.  Just put a continuity tester from the ground pins to the foil shield and you will have the answer. :)

• 1 month later...

Just got my JS-2.  It replaced a very expensive 'Other brand' linear power supply.

All I can say is WOW!  The music is so much better in every way, blacker background, better image definition, more detail.   I must honestly say I am surprised, I did not think I would get this big of a benefit.  Kudos to Uptone Audio, you made me a believer.  

I noticed the JS-2 uses a 1A 6mm x 32mm fuse.  I had a good quality silver fuse laying around so I tried it in the JS-2 and it made a further nice sonic improvement.    Has anyone experimented with different fuses for the JS-2?  Any recommendations?   I am curious also if a magnetic fuse might be a further benefit?

9 hours ago, shyamwanne said:

Just got my JS-2.  It replaced a very expensive 'Other brand' linear power supply.

All I can say is WOW!  The music is so much better in every way, blacker background, better image definition, more detail.   I must honestly say I am surprised, I did not think I would get this big of a benefit.  Kudos to Uptone Audio, you made me a believer.  

I noticed the JS-2 uses a 1A 6mm x 32mm fuse.  I had a good quality silver fuse laying around so I tried it in the JS-2 and it made a further nice sonic improvement.    Has anyone experimented with different fuses for the JS-2?  Any recommendations?   I am curious also if a magnetic fuse might be a further benefit?

Hi Theo:

Glad to hear you are already enjoying your new JS-2.  

"Magnetic fuse?"  No such thing.  Now if you are speaking of magnetic circuit breakers, then here is a 1A/240VAC magnetic breaker. 

D_8340-F_ENG.pdf

These are big, and they are $96 each.  

No benefit though. B|

28 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi Theo:

Glad to hear you are already enjoying your new JS-2.  

"Magnetic fuse?"  No such thing.  Now if you are speaking of magnetic circuit breakers, then here is a 1A/240VAC magnetic breaker. 

D_8340-F_ENG.pdf

These are big, and they are $96 each.  

No benefit though. B|

Ah, yes, magnetic circuit breaker is what I meant.   And I wont bother experimenting with a magnetic circuit breaker if there is no benefit.   

Have you found any particular fuse that sounds best?   

last year I replaced my tubes pre and power amp fuses with Furutech ones

do they sound better? ... hhhhmmm... no! but I feel better for having tried x-D

(Furutech's still in place though ;))

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

7 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Fuse block accepts both the short, skinny Euro style fuse or the big USA 3AG style.

you mean either 5x20 or 6x30, Alex?

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

9_9

x-D

headphones system:

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, paulmckwan said:

Hi, I've connect my JS-2 to a LPS-1.2, which supply a ISO Regen. Will the second output of JS-2 able to supply my Synology 713+ NAS, where its adapter is 12v 6A ?

Regards.

Although we do not think there is any sonic advantage to powering the UltraCap LPS-1.2 with a linear power supply, I will answer your question as completely as possible.

First some facts:

The JS-2 is capable of 7.2 amps total at 12 volts (assuming 120V or 240V AC input; max is slightly less with 110, 115, 220, 230V).  And the LPS-1.2 draws the least amount of current when supplied 12V.

The ISO REGEN itself draws very little current from the LPS-1.2--just about 200mA.  But then you must add whatever is the 5VBUS draw of the connected DAC.  The reason I mention this is that the LPS-1.2 stays in its low-charge-current mode--where it draws less from the charger--as long as the total draw is less than 0.5A.  Most DACs, even if they use some VBUS power draw less than 200mA from the ISO REGEN, so that plus the 200mA to run the other ISO REGEN circuits totals to 400mA (0.4A), keeping the LPS-1 in its low-charge-current mode.

Why am I explaining the above about ISO REGEN and LPS-1.2 draw?  Because your Synology 713+ NAS--depending upon how many drives (and their type, HD or SSD) are installed--may draw a fair amount of current from the JS-2, as much as 4.5 to 5.3 amps.  It probably will draw much less--I have not measured that NAS--but it is a consideration when thinking about using the second output of the JS-2 to "energize"/charge an LPS-1.2.

There is no harm to trying it, the JS-2's fault lights will let you know if the combination is too much load (flickering of the lights is okay, steady red is not as it means the load is too large and the outputs are going out of regulation).

Also, to connect that Synology model, which, like a few of their other models has a 4-pin connector, you will need an adapter plug.  Here is a link to the only one we have found (actually found by another JS-2 owner):

http://www.hunterfield.co.uk/epages/es136853.sf/en_NZ/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es136853/Categories/Products/"Barrel to 4-Pin Plug Convertors"

Sorry for the long answer.  I just like to give correct and accurate responses.  B|

Anyone tried a js-2 on a Chord Qutest ...?

Hopeful that it might be the step up experienced by numerous Brooklyn owners.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

18 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Anyone tried a js-2 on a Chord Qutest ...?

Hopeful that it might be the step up experienced by numerous Brooklyn owners.

I think some have.  I know there are at least a handful of UltraCap LPS-1/LPS-1.2 owners using them to power their new Qutest DACs.

Upon request we even include a DC-barrel>microUSB adapter plug that we know fits into the power port recess of the Qutest’s case. 

Yes, saw the adapter. Essential get for this dac.

Someone doing a comparison of lps-1.2 & js-2 on the Qutest would be perfect!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2018 at 11:18 PM, Superdad said:

For 120V users: 1A slow-blow (or in a pinch a 1.25A normal-blow);

For 220V/230V/240V users: 0.5A slow-blow.

Fuse block accepts both the short, skinny Euro style fuse or the big USA 3AG style.

There was a question about expensive fuses, like SR black, but i didnt find any answer.

So does it make sense to put SR black instead of stock fuse to JS-2?

Thanks!

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

4 minutes ago, Cooler said:

There was a question about expensive fuses, like SR black, but i didnt find any answer.

So does it make sense to put SR black instead of stock fuse to JS-2?

Thanks!

I haven't gotten around to trying one yet, but if I do, it will be an SR blue quantum fuse rather than the black.

Just now, auricgoldfinger said:

I haven't gotten around to trying one yet, but if I do, it will be an SR blue quantum fuse rather than the black.

Actually i have one SR black which i was going to sell, but few days back i bought JS-2, and now i dont know what to do, should i keep it or not, as im selling it with 40% discount and if it gives any improvement to JS-2, better to keep it :)

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers