IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

My reviewing system consists of Ayon Audio S-5 tube network player/preamp fed by a Qnap TS-251 NAS and SR Ethernet SE cable,  Ayon Audio Odin MKIII Build 4 SET amp, Acoustic Zen Crescendo MKII speakers, REL R-528SE sub, and the latest top of the line Synergistic Research cables and tweaks (Galileo UEF cables, Grounding Block SE, Atmosphere SE, and Atmosphere UEF 12 power conditioner, etc) .  I also had a Laufer Teknik MP64 but decided in to keep the Ayon Audio S-5 for various reasons.  About a year ago I had just upgraded from the Ayon Audio Trition MKIII integrated to the Ayon Audio Odin MKIII Build 4 SET amp.  I have always sensed something wasn't exactly right in my system and started to consider another digital front end and replacing the Class A SET amp with a solid state Class A amp. The SET amp has been ruthless in revealing any upstream weakness (I had the amp and network player fuse reversed and my system sounded like it was screaming at me).  I thought I'd start addressing the weakest link before making any significant component changes which led me to replace the power supply on the NAS drive.   I rec'd my Uptone JS-2 power supply on Friday.  Installed it yesterday afternoon.  I had my doubts whether it made sense to spend $ on the JS-2 for a NAS drive and was concerned if it would be an improvement. Holy sh t, finally my system sounds as God intended it.  The noise generated the NAS power supply was killing my system by obscuring the many benefits of a complete vacuum tube based system.  Total transformation in terms of naturalness, soundstage, resolution, and transparency ... I don't understand it. The Uptone JS-2 power supply is worth every penny.

Reviewer

1 hour ago, mikeg said:

I rec'd my Uptone JS-2 power supply on Friday.  Installed it yesterday afternoon.  I had my doubts whether it made sense to spend $ on the JS-2 for a NAS drive and was concerned if it would be an improvement. Holy sh*t, finally my system sounds as God intended it.  The noise generated the NAS power supply was killing my system by obscuring the many benefits of a complete vacuum tube based system.  Total transformation in terms of naturalness, soundstage, resolution, and transparency ... I don't understand it. The Uptone JS-2 power supply is worth every penny.

Wow Mike, great review, thanks! :)

What hundreds of JS-2 users have discovered--really without knowing it--is that for an external power supply, ultimate lowest noise is not the most important factor.  (Generally one is powering components that also have their own internal voltage regulation.)  The parameters that really make a sonic difference are: impedance (as low as possible), dynamic recovery under fast transient loads (typical of computers and NAS), and isolation (we "float" the DC output grounds and the choke-based design makes the JS-2 a power-factor-corrected supply--meaning that we don't kick harmonics back into the wall.)

So while the JS-2 may not rival a discrete regulator Paul Hynes in the noise department, we offer admirably low noise and great dynamic capability.  I think that is what everyone responds to the most.  It "plays the tune" as they say. B|

--Alex C.

P.S.  The very last of the 15 units we built in July is shipping out today, and we are now starting on the next batch, being promised for shipment by August 17th.  A few reservations are already in, but be advised we sell out quickly each month.

Reading through this thread (and from my excitement over the improvements from just adding an LPS-1 / ISO Regen combo yesterday to my system), now I'm thinking I should replace the HDPlex 100 powering my Mytek DAC with a JPS-2, any thoughts on if that upgrade / switch will give me further improvements in sound quality? 

15 hours ago, agladstone said:

Reading through this thread (and from my excitement over the improvements from just adding an LPS-1 / ISO Regen combo yesterday to my system), now I'm thinking I should replace the HDPlex 100 powering my Mytek DAC with a JPS-2, any thoughts on if that upgrade / switch will give me further improvements in sound quality? 

I replaced my HDPlex 100 with a JS-2, to power my microRendu.  I found the JS-2 to be significantly better.  In fact I recently purchased a second JS-2, to power my Ethernet switch and music server.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Mine is just running a lowly mac mini - I would love that it could do the 24v required by my phono preamp!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

Let's see how I can put this:

While good and isolated power supplies for computers/streamers/NAS, etc. are important--and we certainly have a large number of JS-2 owners using it for such, the truth is that I often feel that application is somewhat "slumming it" for our wonderful design.  Where the JS-2 really shines is in powering actual audio circuit components--things like DACs, DDCs, preamps, headphone amps, etc.

The choke-filtered, very carefully balanced for speed JS-2 is better than a lot of the PSUs built into typical gear.  Yet there are not a whole lot of DACs--at price points that can justify a $925 LPS--which accept or run from an external +DC supply.

The exaSound, Exogal, Metric Halo, Merging NADAC, and the Mytek DACs being notable exceptions.  So the people you really want to ask about the SQ boost are those who are using the JS-2 for one of those.

Frankly I am grateful for the Mytek Brooklyn, as this year we have sold a tremendous number of JS-2s for that model--and every one of those buyers has been thrilled.  I am traveling now and don't have access to the e-mail testimonials I have received from Mytek/JS-2 owners, but I don't think you will need to look far.

As for the JS-2 versus others, let's just say that our unit is often not the first LPS for many of our clients.

The words that come back to us--even from the most skeptical and/or jaded--are typically laced with surprise and a general "Oh my!"

I so love building and selling John's fine designs--as they really require very little "selling" at all.  Our biggest problem with the JS-2 right now is building enough of them each month.  They take a lot of both my and my assistant's time.  From a labor and net dollar standpoint, the UltraCap LPS-1 and REGENs are far more profitable.  But the 5-7 amp JS-2 is so beautiful and performs so well that we feel obligated to keep making them.  :D

--Alex C.

P.S.  I think we are already oversold for the JS-2 for August, both from a time and parts availability standpoint.  But we'll get better about again doing 12-14 unit batches every 3 weeks come September.

Thanks for the informative feedback Alex! 

Can I get put on the cue / make a reservation for a September unit? What do you need me to do? 

8 hours ago, agladstone said:

From earlier posts by Alex, seems like. Subs he takes reservations first? That's Not clear to me, perhaps "reservations" means "buy one"

Correct.  You can view the JS-2 on the web site, even selecting different cable options to see the slight change in price.  But there is no AddToCart button on the JS-2 page.  One must send a message--either to my private e-mail address or via the web site contact form (which goes straight to my e-mail inbox)--and then I quote the date of the next batch that there is room in.  Typical lead time is 2-3 weeks (sometimes less, almost never more unless we are waiting on circuit boards).

Then I reply with an invoice (assuming we have your address and you are clear about which cables you want), and payment is due one week prior to the quoted ship date for the batch.

i know this seems cumbersome, but the process is pretty simple and is about the only way for me to stay sane amid all that is going on all the time here.  I hate disappointing people and a flurry of unchecked JS-2 orders placed via the web page might result in chaos. :o

1 hour ago, agladstone said:

Alex:

Thanks! And it seems like a rather straightforward process to me! 

I have your email so I'll contact you via email:)

Allen

Sorry for the dumb steer Allen, the JS-2 is so out of my price range, I never noticed there was no "Add To Cart" button on the link I provided and haven't followed this thread enough to know about Alex's ordering process. I'm envious.:$

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You mean price comparison ...?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

11 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

You mean price comparison ...?

JS-2:

Choke-filtered

Power-factor corrected (virtually no harmonics kicked back into the wall)

Shotkky diodes

Shielded R-core transformer

Low output impedance

Pre- and post-regulator capacitance balanced for best dynamic recovery 

Two independently adjustable outputs (5, 7, 9, 12 volts)

5 amps at 5V, 6 amps at 7V, 8 amps at 9V, 7.2 amps at 12V (with 120/240V AC input; 12V capability drops to 6.3A with 115/230V and 5.95A with 110/220V AC)

Includes one 1.5m Oyaide/Belden 15AWG star-quad DC cable

Fine anodized Japanese enclosure with integrated heat-sinks

Weight: 11.2 pounds

Built, tested, and burn-in in the US.

3-year warranty

$925 plus shipping ($95 via insured FedEx Priority to most countries; $30-50 via insured 2-day Priority Mail within the USA)

In stock for immediate shipment.

All in all a great value and a good long term investment.  I think we have just passed the 400 units built milestone.  Only ever had one person return one--and that was because he had a phobia about "radiated emmisiins" from phones and power supplies (so why did he buy it in the fist place? :S)

Sonically most people say it creams every other LPS they have tried, save the Paul Hynes--where some say it is a toss up where others prefer Paul's fine unit (which they may have paid a good deal more for and had to wait an eternity to receive.).

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

JS-2:

Choke-filtered

Power-factor corrected (virtually no harmonics kicked back into the wall)

Shotkky diodes

Shielded R-core transformer

Low output impedance

Pre- and post-regulator capacitance balanced for best dynamic recovery 

Two independently adjustable outputs (5, 7, 9, 12 volts)

5 amps at 5V, 6 amps at 7V, 8 amps at 9V, 7.2 amps at 12V (with 120/240V AC input; 12V capability drops to 6.3A with 115/230V and 5.95A with 110/220V AC)

Includes one 1.5m Oyaide/Belden 15AWG star-quad DC cable

Fine anodized Japanese enclosure with integrated heat-sinks

Weight: 11.2 pounds

Built, tested, and burn-in in the US.

3-year warranty

$925 plus shipping ($95 via insured FedEx Priority to most countries; $30-50 via insured 2-day Priority Mail within the USA)

In stock for immediate shipment.

All in all a great value and a good long term investment.  I think we have just passed the 400 units built milestone.  Only ever had one person return one--and that was because he had a phobia about "radiated emmisiins" from phones and power supplies (so why did he buy it in the fist place? :S)

Sonically most people say it creams every other LPS they have tried, save the Paul Haynes--where some say it is a toss up where others prefer Paul's fine unit (which they may have paid a good deal more for and had to wait an eternity to receive.).

Thanks, I have sent you a message through the "Contact Us" web form!

8 hours ago, nbpf said:

Thanks, I have sent you a message through the "Contact Us" web form!

That's great thanks, but of course your member name "nbpf" here gives me no clue as to which of the 45 messages of the past 4 days is yours. o.O

I was away last weekend and Monday, so since Tuesday I have been battling the tide of e-mail and attempting to get caught up with replies to everyone.  So I apologize to any who have yet to receive a reply.  I promise that every last person will hear back from me personally very soon. :)

16 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Maybe it's time for a crazy sale? 

I think "sales" discounts are a mistake for small businesses, so we never do them.  First off, I price our products fairly for direct sale (no 40-50% dealer/distributor discount built into the retail prices).  Secondly, if one does even one discount promotion sale per year, then people expect such and will wait to purchase then.  What a mess that would be.  :o

9 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I think "sales" discounts are a mistake for small businesses, so we never do them.  First off, I price our products fairly for direct sale (no 40-50% dealer/distributor discount built into the retail prices).  Secondly, if one does even one discount promotion sale per year, then people expect such and will wait to purchase then.  What a mess that would be.  :o

Don't worry Alex, it was just a joke! ? I have never seen that limited stock in a warehouse before. You would probably sell it before your finish designing the sales ad! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, H-Man said:

Thank you Alex and John for a great product!

Well thank you Henrik--for all your kind words!

I hope you don't mind, but I just cross-posted what you wrote into the Brooklyn power supply thread (https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/28056-linear-power-supply-for-brooklyn-which-one-youve-ever-tried/).

Over 50 Brooklyn DAC owners bought JS-2s in 2017, so it is clear there is real synergy.  We love it when the JS-2 is used for a "real" audio component such as a DAC or DDC--that's when it truly shines.  :D

It’s a pity more dacs don’t have that Brooklyn option of the ext psu. Depends of course on the quality of a dacs inbuilt ps.

I was recently listening to a friend’s Holo Audio dac & wondered if my js-2 would have made an improvement, if that had been possible to implement. Mind you, that dac is a substantive thing & likely has a chunky ps.