IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

On 3/25/2017 at 7:14 PM, ted_b said:

I searched and couldn't find a better thread so here goes:

I own both the JS-2 and an LPS-1.  My JS-2 has always been a one rail power supply, as I was hesitant to try it on both rails (with different gear), worried I would be playing with potential common ground issues.  So generally I use it's 1 output (and better dc cable) to power my Windows Caps NAA at 12V.   But this week I realized that I could take full advantage of it and power my SSD too.  I had been using a SOtM dual battery supply with custom 7V cable (includes resistor to downconvert to 5V for SSD), but decided to swap that out for output 2 at 7V.  I truly believe I am getting better, more solid imaging!  Go figure.

OK, so what is my question:  well, as I said I own an LPS-1 too, for my microRendu NAA, but when I am not using it there (can only do one NAA at a time) it goes unused...until yesterday.  I realized I have a place for it, to power said Windows Caps NAA JCAT USB card.  Up til now, I had been using an old custom RedWine bulky ps that Vinnie built for me years ago (was originally for Squeezebox) and connected to JCAT via LP4 (Molex).  I swapped it out last night for the LPS1, in external dc input mode (instead of LP4).  I am not sure I hear huge differences, but assuming it has to be a good thing.

So...my question:  being that I can now use all three rails of Uptone goodness, which would make more sense: JS-2 on SSD/LSP-1 on JCAT, or vice versa?  It is a given that one rail of JS-2 is on the 12V motherboard dc input.  Thx.

Hi Ted,

Did you have the chance to test LPS-1/JS-2? Does LPS-1 improve the sound if powering SSD/JCAT?

49 minutes ago, andru26 said:

Hi Ted,

Did you have the chance to test LPS-1/JS-2? Does LPS-1 improve the sound if powering SSD/JCAT?

It was quite close but LPS-1 with JCAT (and therefore JPS-2 rail 2 with SSD) won on two counts:

1) sounded better, with blacker background and faster transients;

2) was easier setup in that it didn't require shutting down SSD of Windows NAA to remove it (just unplug from JCAT external dc input) for swapping/use with microRendu NAA.  Someday I'll get another one and leave them be.

54 minutes ago, ted_b said:

It was quite close but LPS-1 with JCAT (and therefore JPS-2 rail 2 with SSD) won on two counts:

2) was easier setup in that it didn't require shutting down SSD of Windows NAA to remove it (just unplug from JCAT external dc input) for swapping/use with microRendu NAA.  Someday I'll get another one and leave them be.

Thank you for the update.

How would you compare the sound quality with vs without LPS-1 in your system? Is the difference significant?

These types of comparisons or a/b test are very difficult to standardize because many of us have spent a long time successfully weeding out the gremlins in our systems, and when one introduces something like the LPS-1 into a system that already sounds pretty damn good, the results may be significant, but "significant" for me is maybe a 3-5% shift qualitatively, while others may be expecting a 20% shift.   Sorry for the long drawn out sentence there.  :)

So, yes, the LPS-1 is worth it by far.  It's cost and complexity adding it to my system (i.e simple) vs the cost and overall effort I've put into my system makes it a great value.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2017 at 2:32 PM, ted_b said:

Ted, do I understand your setup correctly?  When using your Windows NAA, you use the JCAT USB card out, but when using the MRendu, that's when you use the Melco fiber out?  

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

? Melco fiber?  Not sure what you are referring to.  I have two (never using at same time) NAAs, one is the microRendu, the other is the Windows CAPS Carbon NAA (with JCAT USB card).  So I power (some portion of )both of them with the same LPS-1; when using the microRendu I power it with the LPS-1, when using the Windows NAA I power the JCAT card section with the LPS-1.  Both NAAs use the ethernet copper dongle coming from my FMC (again, never used at same time). 

I wa simply posting about, when using the Windows NAA, the debate as to where I use the LPS-1 and one of the rails of my JS-2.  I find that using the LPS-1 on the JCAT card (and therefore the JS-2 rail on the SSD) sounds better than having their positions swapped (JS-2 on JCAT, LPS-1 on SSD).  The other rail of the JS-2 ALWAYS powers my Windows 12V motherboard; that is not up for debate.

BTW, I need to get a 2nd LPS-1 because the microRendu (and JCAT card for that matter) are digital products and I need to follow my own strong recommendation...never turn off digital unless you want to wait hours for it to thermally settle.

i received today the uptone audio js2 and powered the naim unitserve and the switch. Before i had a teddy pardo ps for the unitserve and ifi power for the switch. I can say that the improvement is real: not dramatic but after a few tracks i could hear a more natural sound, more liquid and fluent, and a better bass on some tracks.  The uptone is 3 times more expensive than the teddy pardo but can power 2 items.   I don't regret my purchase!

• 4 weeks later...

I currently have LPS-1 for mRendu. And planning to buy JCAT ethernet card, so i need another PSU for this card.

And i dont know what is better, to buy LPS-1, or buy js2 and use it for both mR and JCAT, and sell LPS-1.

What do you think guys?

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

10 hours ago, Cooler said:

I currently have LPS-1 for mRendu. And planning to buy JCAT ethernet card, so i need another PSU for this card.

And i dont know what is better, to buy LPS-1, or buy js2 and use it for both mR and JCAT, and sell LPS-1.

What do you think guys?

LPS-1 does not have enough current for the JCAT NET Card which requires 5V/2A minimum. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

3 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

LPS-1 does not have enough current for the JCAT NET Card which requires 5V/2A minimum. 

Oh, i didnt know that. Would you suggest any other PSU for this card?

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

I have no idea what speed i need for microRendu to play dsd256-dsd512 :) I will ask John. But for my feeling 100mbit should be enough and as I already have LPS-1, i will test it before i go farther and buy something.

On 4/18/2015 at 2:25 AM, Superdad said:

Hi Paolo:

Thank you for the compliment on the build quality and packaging of the JS-2. I hope you enjoy the sonic results just as much.

With regards to the Installation Guide booklet with small type size for the Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK):

You know that they say "a picture is worth a thousand words." Well, that hyper-detailed guide is what you get when you try to describe a process in a black&white, photocopied booklet that will fit in an already too small package (for low cost postal shipment around the world).

But worry not future MMK installers:

A couple of weeks ago "hifial" sent me his 2012 Mac mini for me to perform the install for him (it is a complimentary service I offer those who buy a JS-2 to go with their MMK). I took close up photos of every step. All I have had the time to do so far is to scroll through the 100 pictures I took. I'll edit those down to probably half that number and put them all in a PDF with a little text (from the existing guidebook they follow) and post that on my web site.

Frankly, after jumping through the photos in order, the forthcoming photo guide almost will not need any words. The pictures tell the story, and the process is seen to be much easier than the impression the written guide gives.

Regards,

--Alex.

Wow, 2015?  I guess this complimentary photo instruction guide is never coming?  I have my MMK kit now, but those instructions look very daunting. 

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

15 minutes ago, No Disc said:

Wow, 2015?  I guess this complimentary photo instruction guide is never coming?  I have my MMK kit now, but those instructions look very daunting. 

I recently installed my 2nd MMK kit, this time in a 2014 Mini. I used the printed instructions, and the repair/ tear-down guides on iFixIt.com web site. browse there, find the Mac Mini section, for the version you have. There are two separate series. I forget the exact names, but I think one is a 'tear-down' and the other 'repair/upgrade', or some such, you want the latter, as it is more detailed. These are very good guides with great pictures, annotated to show what screws to remove/replace, how the funky little connectors work, etc.

I followed the iFixIt guide to open up the mini, replace the HD with an SSD, and then start reassembly. Here I switched over to the UTA instructions to deal with installing the MMK PCB and cables, then back for closing up the case. I had to think a bit to deal with a few differences in the 2014 model, but I had plenty of info to assist me and it wasn't a big deal as long as you think out each step carefully before proceeding.

OTOH, I also seem to recall using some UTA pictures as well as the iFixIt ones, so probably the guide pictures Alex referred to are actually up on the web somewhere (as he promised). I'd advise that you look closer at the UTA website for a link.

Sorry, but I just checked my bookmarks, and didn't find any for this subject, but I'm sure you can find them on your own :)

5 minutes ago, Daudio said:

I recently installed my 2nd MMK kit, this time in a 2014 Mini. I used the printed instructions, and the repair/ tear-down guides on iFixIt.com web site. browse there, find the Mac Mini section, for the version you have. There are two separate series. I forget the exact names, but I think one is a 'tear-down' and the other 'repair/upgrade', or some such, you want the latter, as it is more detailed. These are very good guides with great pictures, annotated to show what screws to remove/replace, how the funky little connectors work, etc.

I followed the iFixIt guide to open up the mini, replace the HD with an SSD, and then start reassembly. Here I switched over to the UTA instructions to deal with installing the MMK PCB and cables, then back for closing up the case. I had to think a bit to deal with a few differences in the 2014 model, but I had plenty of info to assist me and it wasn't a big deal as long as you think out each step carefully before proceeding.

OTOH, I also seem to recall using some UTA pictures as well as the iFixIt ones, so probably the guide pictures Alex referred to are actually up on the web somewhere (as he promised). I'd advise that you look closer at the UTA website for a link.

Sorry, but I just checked my bookmarks, and didn't find any for this subject, but I'm sure you can find them on your own :)

I have pinged Alex and nudged him to release the photos as none of the emails I have received from him mention the photos being uploaded anywhere.  Even without annotation, the photos would be a lot more useful then just the printed guide. 

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

2 minutes ago, No Disc said:

I have pinged Alex and nudged him to release the photos as none of the emails I have received from him mention the photos being uploaded anywhere.  Even without annotation, the photos would be a lot more useful then just the printed guide. 

Alex is massively busy right now with the rollout of a new product, so why don't you go and look for those thing I mentioned first ??

Using the printed instructions, along with the repair/ tear-down guides on iFixIt.com, the installation of the MMK was pretty straightforward.  Additional photos are not really needed.   Taking my time, I spent a little over an hour installing mine.

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

all quite easy indeed, if you take your time

just... be very careful with the tiny IR/OnOff light connector: lift it *gently* from the wires side

(broke it, years ago, while replacing HDs in a Mac mini I'm using as general server. Works fine, just no On/Off led and, thankfully, I don't need the IR remote)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Alex came though for me and sent me a draft copy of the instructions that included about 95% of the photos, which helped out a great deal.  Kit is installed. Will have first listen later tonight.  

• 1 month later...

While I wait for delivery of an ISO Regen from the UK, I've read through this interesting thread. In particular the MMK product. With the greatness (goodness !) of the ISO Regen hopefully soon to be in my chain, is the MMK still a worthwhile upgrade? ... or will the ISO Regen mitigate much of the problem that the MMK seeks to cure ?

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

8 hours ago, Charente said:

While I wait for delivery of an ISO Regen from the UK, I've read through this interesting thread. In particular the MMK product. With the greatness (goodness !) of the ISO Regen hopefully soon to be in my chain, is the MMK still a worthwhile upgrade? ... or will the ISO Regen mitigate much of the problem that the MMK seeks to cure ?

Hi:

Well the ISO REGEN does not completely eliminate the influence of the upstream source.  That is because the ISO REGEN--like every USB device on the planet--also has a USB PHY (physical interface protocol engine), though it is built into its hub chip and not a separate chip.  And while we worked hard to minimize the impact of upstream signal integrity on the REGENs, such still exists.

The Linear Fan Controller circuit of our MMK addresses a shortcoming of PWM (pulse width modulated) fan speed control. Namely that it works by varying a 25KHz train of 12V 0.5-amp(!) pluses to control fan speed.  That is very bad and creates a lot of emissions inside the small Mac mini case.  And the slower the fan see the worse it is.

After installation of the MMK, the fan is controlled by smooth, variable DC voltage--and the Mac's thermal sensors, OS, and the fan tachometer still work to automatically adjust the fan speed based on cooling requirements.

The MMK's linear fan control works even if the external power supply is just another SMPS.

Of course the Mac mini still benefits greatly from use of a top quality external LPS.  So conversion to external DC with the MMK is, when a nice LPS is used, something of a one-two punch to elevate the performance that a Mac mini is capable of as a music server.  I'm practicing my understatements, so I'll just say that folks seem to like it. B|

Hope that helps.

--Alex C.

P.S.  We are just finishing another batch of 14 JS-2s--for shipment next Tuesday, July 18th.  There are still 3 uncommitted.  Just review the product page and drop a note via the contact form if interested in reserving one.

52 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi:

Well the ISO REGEN does not completely eliminate the influence of the upstream source.  

Of course the Mac mini still benefits greatly from use of a top quality external LPS.  So conversion to external DC with the MMK is, when a nice LPS is used, something of a one-two punch to elevate the performance that a Mac mini is capable of as a music server.  I'm practicing my understatements, so I'll just say that folks seem to like it. B|

Hope that helps.

--Alex C.

P.S.  We are just finishing another batch of 14 JS-2s--for shipment next Tuesday, July 18th.  There are still 3 uncommitted.  Just review the product page and drop a note via the contact form if interested in reserving one.

It does indeed Alex ... thank-you for the detailed reply. I'd love a JS-2 (even as an objet d'art !!) to power the Mac Mini but with importing & VAT it does get rather pricey for me.... perhaps another 25% or so. Maybe first I'll have a look at my usual local supplier (audiophonics.fr) for all things electronica & audio ... they manufacture quite a variety of LPS's themselves. Thanks again.

Guy

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2017 at 9:04 PM, Charente said:

It does indeed Alex ... thank-you for the detailed reply. I'd love a JS-2 (even as an objet d'art !!) to power the Mac Mini but with importing & VAT it does get rather pricey for me.... perhaps another 25% or so. Maybe first I'll have a look at my usual local supplier (audiophonics.fr) for all things electronica & audio ... they manufacture quite a variety of LPS's themselves. Thanks again.

Guy

I live in Belgium and I also regularly buy HiFi stuff at audiophonics.fr. Excellent service and good quality product for reasonable prices. I have a power supply from them and find it to be quite good. It powers two LPS1 and my AQVOX switch. Tried powering the switch with the LPS1 and don't think it is necessary. For the SMS-200 and IR it is however a must to power them with LPS1 or something perhaps even better (if it exists for a fair price)

1 hour ago, afrancois said:

I live in Belgium and I also regularly buy HiFi stuff at audiophonics.fr. Excellent service and good quality product for reasonable prices. I have a power supply from them and find it to be quite good. It powers two LPS1 and my AQVOX switch. Tried powering the switch with the LPS1 and don't think it is necessary. For the SMS-200 and IR it is however a must to power them with LPS1 or something perhaps even better (if it exists for a fair price)

Thank-you for your thoughts ... initially, I figure powering the mR with an iFi iPower, then into an ISO Regen powered by the LPS-1 and then the new USPCB connector to my DDC (an F-1 equivalent). It's a starting point !