IGNORED

Playing 24 bit 96 Khz Music on a 20 bit 48 Khz DAC

Hello People,

I am in the process of buying an old but excellently built, fully balanced DAC with 4 chips 2 XLR and 2 RCA Outs and Optical and coaxial Ins. Its a used machine and I will get it at half its original price. The limitation is that it can handle up to 20 bits 48 Khz signals, assembled with best components from leading manufacturers.

The designer maker of the unit, said to me that it will sound much better than any 24 bit DAC even if I down sample the signal from my computer/V-link to 20 bit/48 Khz. The new unit he can make for me will be 32 bit/ 192 Khz but it will cost double.

Any thoughts will be more than welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks,

Farrukh

Just as a top-end CD player is capable of great sound, I don't doubt that this unit will be very nice.

Do you have future plans for to purchase high res titles? If it were me, I don't think I'd feel right about always being forced to downsample. On the other hand, if you plan to stick mostly with redbook format in the future, then no problem.

I know of at least one designer who sells their DAC with two chips -- a NOS DAC chip for 16/44.1 playback and a 24/192k Wolfson DAC chip for HD playback. Obviously the Wolfson will handle both formats on its own, but it's clear the designer thinks highly of the older DAC chip.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.