IGNORED

New Raspberry Pi Model B+

I ordered one as well. They claim the audio is improved however I'm not sure if that extends to the USB bus and external DAC. I just transitioned from Raspberry Pi servers to a Mac Mini however I still have a couple of Pi's. Using them for Shairport servers to stream my iTunes library. Perfect fit for the Mac Mini server.

I ordered one as well. They claim the audio is improved however I'm not sure if that extends to the USB bus and external DAC. I just transitioned from Raspberry Pi servers to a Mac Mini however I still have a couple of Pi's. Using them for Shairport servers to stream my iTunes library. Perfect fit for the Mac Mini server.

Do you know anything about the new LAN9514 chip? I hope it doesn't effect the USB audio performance as much as the LAN9512 chip.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I ordered one as well. They claim the audio is improved however I'm not sure if that extends to the USB bus and external DAC.

I think this applies only to the analog output port. The power supply is now switching, so USB audio may in fact be slightly degraded.

I was really hoping they woild come out with a new model with more CPU. I guess I'll have to wait...

I don't have an issue with CPU speed at all on the Pi. If you set it up headless at stock 700 MHz it's plenty fast to run a music server. It's when you try to run the GUI too that it becomes too slow.

I was really hoping they woild come out with a new model with more CPU. I guess I'll have to wait...

I believe (reading between the lines) there will be a Mk II Raspberry Pi out in the future - perhaps a Raspberry Pi Master given the previous naming convention - but this is (obviously) not it.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Chris ... have you ordered any of the DAC boards or any other additional audio hardware to play with?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for the heads up Chris! I ordered up an older one as a spare. I have no need for the USB as I am using the i2s pins and saved a few bucks getting one on sale. Avoid USB and they work without a hiccup.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I think this applies only to the analog output port. The power supply is now switching, so USB audio may in fact be slightly degraded.

I read that the new switching regulator circuitry was quieter and that it would improve the on-board audio quality.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

It's very possible Richard.

Have you read anything about the USB audio performance?

My boards arrive Wednesday :~)

I haven't read anything about USB audio performance. On the B+ introduction video and the raspberrypi.org site (I think it was there) they brieflly talked about the USB implementation and that 'many bugs had been fixed'. From that I got the impression that it was much the same implementation as on the B version, just with more sockets.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

I haven't read anything about USB audio performance. On the B+ introduction video and the raspberrypi.org site (I think it was there) they brieflly talked about the USB implementation and that 'many bugs had been fixed'. From that I got the impression that it was much the same implementation as on the B version, just with more sockets.

I tried to compare the LAN9512 to the LAN9514 but couldn't really tell if it's just three more ports or something better.

The Release Notes is where I saw some USB improvement info, but that's got nothing to do with the Model B+

2014-06-20: * New firmware with various fixes, and kernel bugfix2014-06-02: * Many, many firmware updates with major USB improvements * pyserial installed by default * picamera installed by default2014-01-07: * Firmware updated * Some space saved on the root filesystem2013-12-20: * Firmware updated, includes V4L2 fixes * Update omxplayer2013-12-18: * Firmware updated and now using kernel 3.10. Many, many improvements * fbturbo XOrg driver is now included and enabled by default. Thanks to ssvb https://github.com/ssvb/xf86-video-fbturbo * Update Scratch image with further bug fixes * Include Wolfram Mathematica * Update to PyPy 2.2 * Update omxplayer * Include v4l-utils for use with experimental V4L2 Raspberry Pi camera driver * Update squeak-vm to fix issues with loading JPEGs2013-09-25: * Update Scratch image for further performance improvements * Include Oracle JDK * At least a 4GiB SD card is now required (see above) * Include PyPy 2.1 * Include base piface packages * Update raspi-config to include bugfix for inheriting language settings from NOOBS2013-09-10: * Updated to current top of tree firmware * Update squeak-vm, including fastblit optimised for the Raspbery Pi * Include Sonic Pi and a fixed jackd2 package * Support boot to Scratch * Inherit keyboard and language settings from NOOBS

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I received the Model B+. Using a USB DAC I get pops and ticks at 24/192. I think I need some fine tuning help. Anyone have suggestions?

I tried these from the Beaglebone Black tweak list assuming they would work here.

nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

- Arrow to the bottom of the file and add the following text -> options snd-usb-audio nrpacks=1

nano /etc/inittab

- Place the # symbol in fron of the following lines

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2

3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3

4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4

5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5

6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

nano /etc/default/cpufrequtils

- Add the following text -> GOVERNOR="performance"

I received the Model B+. Using a USB DAC I get pops and ticks at 24/192. I think I need some fine tuning help. Anyone have suggestions?

I tried these from the Beaglebone Black tweak list assuming they would work here.

nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

- Arrow to the bottom of the file and add the following text -> options snd-usb-audio nrpacks=1

nano /etc/inittab

- Place the # symbol in fron of the following lines

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2

3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3

4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4

5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5

6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

nano /etc/default/cpufrequtils

- Add the following text -> GOVERNOR="performance"

Maybe it is worth trying Raspberry Pi audio distribution like Runeaudio or Volumio to see if they fix it? I haven't tried using an asynchronous USB device with a Pi for over a year, but my HRT Streamer II+ and Musical Fidelity V-Link didn't work at any speed then, let alone at 24/192.

I think one of the many I2S DAC cards will work better with HiRes 24/192 and DSD once they are available for the new board. The B+ should be better now the I2S GPIO are on the standard header and don't need soldering different sorts of headers for each individual DAC card. I've got an IQAudio PiDAC and case which doesn't sound bad for the money - that could be very nice when they come out with a B+ version.

Maybe it is worth trying Raspberry Pi audio distribution like Runeaudio or Volumio to see if they fix it? I haven't tried using an asynchronous USB device with a Pi for over a year, but my HRT Streamer II+ and Musical Fidelity V-Link didn't work at any speed then, let alone at 24/192.

I think one of the many I2S DAC cards will work better with HiRes 24/192 and DSD once they are available for the new board. The B+ should be better now the I2S GPIO are on the standard header and don't need soldering different sorts of headers for each individual DAC card. I've got an IQAudio PiDAC and case which doesn't sound bad for the money - that could be very nice when they come out with a B+ version.

Thanks for the followup Richard.

I tried Volumio last night but for some reason eth0 couldn't be found. As far as I know the B+ works just the same with older distros. I'll see if i can figure it out and I'm going to check out some of the add-on boards.

As far as I know the B+ works just the same with older distros. I'll see if i can figure it out and I'm going to check out some of the add-on boards.

New RPi B+ has changed I2S pins and needs other pinmux. Just with four jumper wires - it does not work (and not yet with latest distro, June 2012):

It needs a Linux Kernel Patch.

I did (just change three bytes in a kernel module, driver) - it works:

Raspberry Pi B+ and RPi-DAC

Without kernel patch and trying to use I2S - the RPi B+ will hang (conflicts on GPIO pins).

With the kernel patch I did - all I2S DACs, also RPi-DAC-RCA (HifiBerry alternative) will work which do not need I2C control (Wolfson will not work). For those - please wait for the updated Rasbian Linux distro.

I've been running the 'old' RPi for over a year now, and after learning a lot of lessons I have it rock solid stable.

Tips:

1) Use a wall wart that supplies enough current. 1 amp should be sufficient, 0.5 amps and you may see system crashes, particularly if you unplug USB devices. I learned this the hard way.

2) Use wired Ethernet rather than wifi dongles.

3) Don't overload the USB bus.

I have my RPi hard-wired to an off-board sound card, for conversion of the USB stream into S/PDIF, which I then run to my DAC. I've nothing against the async USB implementation of my Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC+, it's just that I want galvanic isolation rather than 5v of unregulated external power hitting the MiniMax's circuitry.

I did a fair amount of tweaking around with the mpd.conf file to get myself stable. No pops any more, just bit-perfectness all the way. Perhaps a thread on mpd.conf could help more people put their faith in Linux as an audiophile OS.

On the CPU question, mine averages out at 1.8% load when streaming music ... so hardly a need for more cycles, unless you want to do other stuff with your RPi in parallel to listening to music. (I don't.)

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

I've been running the 'old' RPi for over a year now, and after learning a lot of lessons I have it rock solid stable.

Tips:

1) Use a wall wart that supplies enough current. 1 amp should be sufficient, 0.5 amps and you may see system crashes, particularly if you unplug USB devices. I learned this the hard way.

2) Use wired Ethernet rather than wifi dongles.

3) Don't overload the USB bus.

I have my RPi hard-wired to an off-board sound card, for conversion of the USB stream into S/PDIF, which I then run to my DAC. I've nothing against the async USB implementation of my Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC+, it's just that I want galvanic isolation rather than 5v of unregulated external power hitting the MiniMax's circuitry.

I did a fair amount of tweaking around with the mpd.conf file to get myself stable. No pops any more, just bit-perfectness all the way. Perhaps a thread on mpd.conf could help more people put their faith in Linux as an audiophile OS.

On the CPU question, mine averages out at 1.8% load when streaming music ... so hardly a need for more cycles, unless you want to do other stuff with your RPi in parallel to listening to music. (I don't.)

Have you tried playing 192 or 96 music? Any pops or ticks?

can you post your mpd.conf config ?

Have you tried playing 192 or 96 music? Any pops or ticks?

can you post your mpd.conf config ?

I've only run 16/44.1 material ... I don't have any hi-res stuff. I'm getting such good results off my pcm files that I haven't felt the need. Though I may give it a go some time soon, just for the challenge.

I could post the config file, but I guess I shouldn't pollute this thread with it? Shall I post/send it somewhere else?

I've only run 16/44.1 material ... I don't have any hi-res stuff. I'm getting such good results off my pcm files that I haven't felt the need. Though I may give it a go some time soon, just for the challenge.

I could post the config file, but I guess I shouldn't pollute this thread with it? Shall I post/send it somewhere else?

Post it here. It's relevant to the new B+ model.

Okey dokey. It's a fairly large file though, as it contains various configs which I have swapped in and out.

Give me a couple of moments ...

# An example configuration file for MPD

# See the mpd.conf man page for a more detailed description of each parameter.

# Files and directories #######################################################

#

# This setting controls the top directory which MPD will search to discover the

# available audio files and add them to the daemon's online database. This

# setting defaults to the XDG directory, otherwise the music directory will be

# be disabled and audio files will only be accepted over ipc socket (using

# file:// protocol) or streaming files over an accepted protocol.

#

#music_directory "/var/lib/mpd/music/remoteMusic"

#music_directory "/mnt/remoteMusic/"

#music_directory "/mnt/macMusic/REM/Green"

music_directory "/mnt/wd/"

#

# This setting sets the MPD internal playlist directory. The purpose of this

# directory is storage for playlists created by MPD. The server will use

# playlist files not created by the server but only if they are in the MPD

# format. This setting defaults to playlist saving being disabled.

#

playlist_directory "/var/lib/mpd/playlists"

#

# This setting sets the location of the MPD database. This file is used to

# load the database at server start up and store the database while the

# server is not up. This setting defaults to disabled which will allow

# MPD to accept files over ipc socket (using file:// protocol) or streaming

# files over an accepted protocol.

#

db_file "/var/lib/mpd/tag_cache"

#

# These settings are the locations for the daemon log files for the daemon.

# These logs are great for troubleshooting, depending on your log_level

# settings.

#

# The special value "syslog" makes MPD use the local syslog daemon. This

# setting defaults to logging to syslog, otherwise logging is disabled.

#

log_file "/var/log/mpd/mpd.log"

#

# This setting sets the location of the file which stores the process ID

# for use of mpd --kill and some init scripts. This setting is disabled by

# default and the pid file will not be stored.

#

pid_file "/var/run/mpd/pid"

#

# This setting sets the location of the file which contains information about

# most variables to get MPD back into the same general shape it was in before

# it was brought down. This setting is disabled by default and the server

# state will be reset on server start up.

#

state_file "/var/lib/mpd/state"

#

# The location of the sticker database. This is a database which

# manages dynamic information attached to songs.

#

sticker_file "/var/lib/mpd/sticker.sql"

#

###############################################################################

# General music daemon options ################################################

#

# This setting specifies the user that MPD will run as. MPD should never run as

# root and you may use this setting to make MPD change its user ID after

# initialization. This setting is disabled by default and MPD is run as the

# current user.

#

#user "mpd"

user "root"

#

# This setting specifies the group that MPD will run as. If not specified

# primary group of user specified with "user" setting will be used (if set).

# This is useful if MPD needs to be a member of group such as "audio" to

# have permission to use sound card.

#

#group "nogroup"

#

# This setting sets the address for the daemon to listen on. Careful attention

# should be paid if this is assigned to anything other then the default, any.

# This setting can deny access to control of the daemon. Choose any if you want

# to have mpd listen on every address

#

# For network

bind_to_address "any"

#

# And for Unix Socket

#bind_to_address "/var/run/mpd/socket"

#

# This setting is the TCP port that is desired for the daemon to get assigned

# to.

#

#port "6600"

#

# This setting controls the type of information which is logged. Available

# setting arguments are "default", "secure" or "verbose". The "verbose" setting

# argument is recommended for troubleshooting, though can quickly stretch

# available resources on limited hardware storage.

#

#log_level "default"

#

# If you have a problem with your MP3s ending abruptly it is recommended that

# you set this argument to "no" to attempt to fix the problem. If this solves

# the problem, it is highly recommended to fix the MP3 files with vbrfix

# (available as vbrfix in the debian archive), at which

# point gapless MP3 playback can be enabled.

#

#gapless_mp3_playback "yes"

#

# This setting enables MPD to create playlists in a format usable by other

# music players.

#

#save_absolute_paths_in_playlists "no"

#

# This setting defines a list of tag types that will be extracted during the

# audio file discovery process. Optionally, 'comment' can be added to this

# list.

#

#metadata_to_use "artist,album,title,track,name,genre,date,composer,performer,disc"

#

# This setting enables automatic update of MPD's database when files in

# music_directory are changed.

#

#auto_update "yes"

#

# Limit the depth of the directories being watched, 0 means only watch

# the music directory itself. There is no limit by default.

#

#auto_update_depth "3"

#

# Symbolic link behavior ######################################################

#

# If this setting is set to "yes", MPD will discover audio files by following

# symbolic links outside of the configured music_directory.

#

#follow_outside_symlinks "yes"

#

# If this setting is set to "yes", MPD will discover audio files by following

# symbolic links inside of the configured music_directory.

#

#follow_inside_symlinks "yes"

#

# Zeroconf / Avahi Service Discovery ##########################################

#

# If this setting is set to "yes", service information will be published with

# Zeroconf / Avahi.

#

#zeroconf_enabled "yes"

#

# The argument to this setting will be the Zeroconf / Avahi unique name for

# this MPD server on the network.

#

#zeroconf_name "Music Player"

#

# Permissions #################################################################

#

# If this setting is set, MPD will require password authorization. The password

# can setting can be specified multiple times for different password profiles.

#

#password "password@read,add,control,admin"

#

# This setting specifies the permissions a user has who has not yet logged in.

#

#default_permissions "read,add,control,admin"

#

# Input #######################################################################

#

input {

plugin "curl"

# proxy "proxy.isp.com:8080"

# proxy_user "user"

# proxy_password "password"

}

#

# Audio Output ################################################################

#

# MPD supports various audio output types, as well as playing through multiple

# audio outputs at the same time, through multiple audio_output settings

# blocks. Setting this block is optional, though the server will only attempt

# autodetection for one sound card.

#

# See <http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Configuration#Audio_Outputs> for examples of

# other audio outputs.

#

# An example of an ALSA output:

#

#audio_output {

# type "alsa"

# name "My ALSA Device"

# device "hw:0,0" # optional

# format "44100:16:2" # optional

# mixer_device "default" # optional

# mixer_control "PCM" # optional

# mixer_index "0" # optional

#}

audio_output {

type "alsa"

name "EE Tube Dac"

device "hw:1,0"

format "44100:16:2"

}

#audio_output {

# type "alsa"

# name "EE Tube Dac Direct"

# device "hw:1,0"

#}

# An example of an OSS output:

#

#audio_output {

# type "oss"

# name "My OSS Device"

# device "/dev/dsp" # optional

# format "44100:16:2" # optional

# mixer_device "/dev/mixer" # optional

# mixer_control "PCM" # optional

#}

#

# An example of a shout output (for streaming to Icecast):

#

#audio_output {

# type "shout"

# encoding "ogg" # optional

# name "My Shout Stream"

# host "localhost"

# port "8000"

# mount "/mpd.ogg"

# password "hackme"

# quality "5.0"

# bitrate "128"

# format "44100:16:1"

# protocol "icecast2" # optional

# user "source" # optional

# description "My Stream Description" # optional

# genre "jazz" # optional

# public "no" # optional

# timeout "2" # optional

#}

#

# An example of a recorder output:

#

#audio_output {

# type "recorder"

# name "My recorder"

# encoder "vorbis" # optional, vorbis or lame

# path "/var/lib/mpd/recorder/mpd.ogg"

## quality "5.0" # do not define if bitrate is defined

# bitrate "128" # do not define if quality is defined

#}

#

# An example of a httpd output (built-in HTTP streaming server):

#

#audio_output {

# type "httpd"

# name "My HTTP Stream"

# encoder "vorbis" # optional, vorbis or lame

# port "8000"

# quality "5.0" # do not define if bitrate is defined

# bitrate "128" # do not define if quality is defined

#}

#

# An example of a pulseaudio output (streaming to a remote pulseaudio server)

#

#audio_output {

# type "pulse"

# name "My Pulse Output"

# server "remote_server" # optional

# sink "remote_server_sink" # optional

#}

#

## Example "pipe" output:

#

#audio_output {

# type "pipe"

# name "my pipe"

# command "aplay -f cd 2>/dev/null"

## Or if you're want to use AudioCompress

# command "AudioCompress -m | aplay -f cd 2>/dev/null"

## Or to send raw PCM stream through PCM:

# command "nc example.org 8765"

# format "44100:16:2"

#}

#

## An example of a null output (for no audio output):

#

#audio_output {

# type "null"

# name "My Null Output"

#}

#

# This setting will change all decoded audio to be converted to the specified

# format before being passed to the audio outputs. By default, this setting is

# disabled.

#

#audio_output_format "44100:16:2"

#

# If MPD has been compiled with libsamplerate support, this setting specifies

# the sample rate converter to use. Possible values can be found in the

# mpd.conf man page or the libsamplerate documentation. By default, this is

# setting is disabled.

#

#samplerate_converter "Fastest Sinc Interpolator"

#

# Volume control mixer ########################################################

#

# These are the global volume control settings. By default, this setting will

# be detected to the available audio output device, with preference going to

# hardware mixing. Hardware and software mixers for individual audio_output

# sections cannot yet be mixed.

#

# An example for controlling an ALSA, OSS or Pulseaudio mixer; If this

# setting is used other sound applications will be affected by the volume

# being controlled by MPD.

#

#mixer_type "hardware"

#

# An example for controlling all mixers through software. This will control

# all controls, even if the mixer is not supported by the device and will not

# affect any other sound producing applications.

#

#mixer_type "software"

#

# This example will not allow MPD to touch the mixer at all and will disable

# all volume controls.

#

#mixer_type "disabled"

#

# Normalization automatic volume adjustments ##################################

#

# This setting specifies the type of ReplayGain to use. This setting can have

# the argument "album" or "track". See <http://www.replaygain.org> for more

# details. This setting is disabled by default.

#

#replaygain "album"

#

# This setting sets the pre-amp used for files that have ReplayGain tags. By

# default this setting is disabled.

#

#replaygain_preamp "0"

#

# This setting enables on-the-fly normalization volume adjustment. This will

# result in the volume of all playing audio to be adjusted so the output has

# equal "loudness". This setting is disabled by default.

#

#volume_normalization "no"

#

# MPD Internal Buffering ######################################################

#

# This setting adjusts the size of internal decoded audio buffering. Changing

# this may have undesired effects. Don't change this if you don't know what you

# are doing.

#

audio_buffer_size "4096"

#

# This setting controls the percentage of the buffer which is filled before

# beginning to play. Increasing this reduces the chance of audio file skipping,

# at the cost of increased time prior to audio playback.

#

buffer_before_play "50%"

#

# Resource Limitations ########################################################

#

# These settings are various limitations to prevent MPD from using too many

# resources. Generally, these settings should be minimized to prevent security

# risks, depending on the operating resources.

#

#connection_timeout "60"

#max_connections "10"

#max_playlist_length "16384"

#max_command_list_size "2048"

#max_output_buffer_size "8192"

#

# Character Encoding ##########################################################

#

# If file or directory names do not display correctly for your locale then you

# may need to modify this setting. After modification of this setting mpd

# --create-db must be run to change the database.

#

filesystem_charset "UTF-8"

#

# This setting controls the encoding that ID3v1 tags should be converted from.

#

id3v1_encoding "UTF-8"

#

# SIDPlay decoder #############################################################

#

# songlength_database:

# Location of your songlengths file, as distributed with the HVSC.

# The sidplay plugin checks this for matching MD5 fingerprints.

# See http://www.c64.org/HVSC/DOCUMENTS/Songlengths.faq

#

# default_songlength:

# This is the default playing time in seconds for songs not in the

# songlength database, or in case you're not using a database.

# A value of 0 means play indefinitely.

#

# filter:

# Turns the SID filter emulation on or off.

#

#decoder {

# plugin "sidplay"

# songlength_database "/media/C64Music/DOCUMENTS/Songlengths.txt"

# default_songlength "120"

# filter "true"

#}

#