IGNORED

Ian's "Asynchronous I2S FIFO project" on diyaudio.com

He sells the kit the for 149.00. I bought some XO adapters from him and thought he was sold out or waiting for enough people to do another round of I2S kits. I think there is a waiting list.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Is that a solder-it-together kit?

I would assume it is. I really don't know much about it. Here is a link that may help:

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy - Page 136 - diyAudio

Edit: looks assembled

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

How much assembly is required? Is there a commercial DAC you'd say it's on the same level as?

Well, it's all pre-built boards (except for low noise reg and battery management which is minimal solder) so no SMD soldering but if you want to remove the clock from the DAC boards and use the clocks on the re-clocker board then that requires some cojones and luck.

Before I bought anything I read the whole thread from start to finish and then asked a few questions. There's a lot of r useful stuff in there and I wouldn't have been without it during the surgery.

Your q about a commercial dac is virtually impossible to answer because I've never a/b'd it with anything but I listened to a Bricasti M1 whilst I was auditioning and I would be confident in playing them off against each other. However, that should be taken with a huge pinch of salt as one's ears don't remember the details very well, or for very long.

Crom,

Some questions on your setup with Ian's reclocker... First, did you setup your BuffIII in Sync-mode with the reclocker?

Then, which clock board and clock(s) did you use?

Third, did you use the isolator board?

And finally, have you tried listening to different signal sources after implementing it and did you find that the reclocker made a difference in the relative quality between those sources?

I ask this as I have one of these and am pondering how best to use it.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters