IGNORED

"The Distortion of Sound" documentary

I watched the video and listened to the blathering. The really interesting section is about from 11:45 to 12:15 where they show signal amplitude and sound comparing "uncompressed" and "compressed" audio. All through the film they seem to to be complaining about MP3 lossy compression. But the comparison shows gross dynamic range compression (and at a greatly reduced level). Bizarre. Why did Harman International produce this film? To promote their Clari-Fi music restoration technology perhaps. Maybe Sean Olive can clarify....

Yep, saw ths video posted on Google+. Most people who watched it confuse storage format compression for dynamic range compression. It's an understandable mistage but probably points to poor communication in the video. Laypeople come out of the video confused.

I kept waiting for it to start, but it was all anecdotal snippets. Only once was a numerical assertion made: they said up to 90% of the information was stripped out. Neil Young claims "you only get 5% now." That is total bullshit and it damages their credibility. (With lossless compression you lose 60 to 70% of the file size and 0% of the information).

I kept waiting for it to start, but it was all anecdotal snippets. Only once was a numerical assertion made: they said up to 90% of the information was stripped out. Neil Young claims "you only get 5% now." That is total bullshit and it damages their credibility. (With lossless compression you lose 60 to 70% of the file size and 0% of the information).

I kind of have to agree - hi-res doesn't matter one bit if the recording is compressed to hell. I recently had a listen to this for lols: Hybrid Theory | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

It sounds exactly the same with my $10k+ system and 24 bits (lol with DR 4) as it did with my mp3 player and freebie earbuds when I was in high school. I don't wish to brag about my system (it's far from perfect) but just to give a bit of perspective about how little system matters with some music.

For hi-res to matter - in my experience you need both a very resolving system and a very good recording. My stats: 99.99% of people won't have the system needed to hear the difference, and 90% of the garbage they will listen to will be so compressed it won't matter for either the format or the system.