IGNORED

Headphone stand

I was so fed up with the current market of headphone stands I made my own.

The base is made out of custom mixed concrete ground to expose the aggregate (which includes amethyst crystals), polished and sealed. The bottom of the base has felt pads. The stand is constructed without any mechanical fasteners (box joints are used), routed to ease the edges, and protected with an oil based finish. Stands are solid concrete and solid wood. No particleboard,plywood or veneering. Honey Locust is yellow/brown pattern. Black walnut is dark brown. Cherry has a red hue. Top wood portion is sturdy and secured into a slot in the concrete.

I appreciate any honest feedback/suggestions to make these better!

Cherry Top.jpg

Concrete.jpeg

Headphone stands.jpg

Honey Locust with headphone.jpg

Honey Locust Back.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Add a cross-piece to the top, curved to match the typical arc of the head band on most phones, and make it about 3" long and 2" wide. That way it will be less likely to leave marks in the padding on the head band. The phones will also be more stable.

Audio-Technica DSR5BT; Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 (balanced); FOCAL Clear (balanced); OPPO PM-3 (Double Helix Molecule 2.0 balanced cable); KEF M500; KEF Space One
OPPO HA-1; MERIDIAN Explorer2; MERIDIAN Explorer; & AUDIOQUEST Jitterbugs 
SONY NW-WM1A (Double Helix Molecule SE balanced cable for OPPO PM-3)
DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Incline speakers & ProSub800 subwoofer
MacBook Pro Retina 15" (13,3); Audirvana Plus 3.x; & AIFF files

I can't edit my previous post, but look at the curved top of the height-adjustable Woo Audio stands. And while you used concrete for the base because of the weight (I assume), why not use something like Corian instead? Might be easier to work with and it offers many, many color choices.

Audio-Technica DSR5BT; Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 (balanced); FOCAL Clear (balanced); OPPO PM-3 (Double Helix Molecule 2.0 balanced cable); KEF M500; KEF Space One
OPPO HA-1; MERIDIAN Explorer2; MERIDIAN Explorer; & AUDIOQUEST Jitterbugs 
SONY NW-WM1A (Double Helix Molecule SE balanced cable for OPPO PM-3)
DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Incline speakers & ProSub800 subwoofer
MacBook Pro Retina 15" (13,3); Audirvana Plus 3.x; & AIFF files
  • 1 month later...

I like these headphone stands from Woo Audio:

hps2_prod.jpg

Reasonably priced at $70, good looking, heavy so they don't tip over, with a nice curved top to support the headphone band.

The picture is small, but it comes in silver or black.

And there's a two headphone version for $10 more.

There's even a chrome version, but that's indulgence at more than twice the price.

Dave, who has no financial connection whatsoever with Woo Audio but they do build their headphone amps in the county of Queens in the state of New York which is where he was born and raised

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

My favourite is the Sieveking Sound Omega stand. It's not cheap (100€ in Germany), but it's probably a once in a lifetime investment

16large.jpg

Sieveking Sound

As much as I like (the pictures of) those Omega stands (I find them as aesthetically pleasing as it gets and apparently of high quality albeit not cheap), isn't the design a prerequisite for headphones to become a bit loose? Considering a stand for my Grado 325is, decided to go with:

hs-100_high_res_2_l.jpg

I like these headphone stands from Woo Audio:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14524[/ATTACH]

Reasonably priced at $70, good looking, heavy so they don't tip over, with a nice curved top to support the headphone band.

The picture is small, but it comes in silver or black.

And there's a two headphone version for $10 more.

There's even a chrome version, but that's indulgence at more than twice the price.

Dave, who has no financial connection whatsoever with Woo Audio but they do build their headphone amps in the county of Queens in the state of New York which is where he was born and raised

I have the silver version of the Woo Audio stand, and I am very happy with it. It looks very nice and the build quality is quite solid. The stand is also height adjustable.

I like the Sennheiser HH10 clamps as they free up some desk space. Cheap, but it does the job.

I think they may actually be discontinued now, but you can still find people selling them on Amazon/eBay.

Not a fan of the Omega stands or similar designs since they compress the earpads and don't let them "breathe".

The Woo Audio stands seem nice, but I would prefer that they were a fixed height rather than adjustable.

I wouldn't use a stand that had a flat top, since it doesn't properly support the headband and could potentially damage it over time.

SilverStone's new EBA01 looks quite nice.

The Woo Audio stands seem nice, but I would prefer that they were a fixed height rather than adjustable.

I'm curious: Why do you prefer fixed height rather than adjustable?

I mean, from my perspective, adjustable gives far more flexibility about where I can best use the stand.

And the Woo Audio set screw for tightening the height is more like a set bolt, and is rock solid.

Anyway, just wondering about your perspective on liking fixed height more.

Music is love, made audible.

Those large Omega stands have given me some problems in the past with certain headphones. They're large and tend to push down the cushion on headphones. sometimes irreversible damage due to heat factors and prolonged intervals.

Low profile ones i recommend:

wa_stand_top.jpg

Computer > iFi iUSB Power Supply > iFi iPurifier USB Conditioner> iFi iLink USB to SPDIF Converter >

Matrix Audio X-Sabre DAC > AMB Balanced Beta 22 AMP>

|ϟ| SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer |ϟ| Adam A7X Monitors |ϟ| Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...