IGNORED

Room acoustics. Positioning speakers on a diagonal, rather than conventional placement

EDIT: -- sorry should have posted in room treatment Forum. Will repost there.

I am not sure what size room I may end up with yet, but I'm intrigued about the idea of placing speakers on a diagonal, that is, with their back side facing a corner of the room, rather than one of the short walls. Decware has an article the describes this.
DECWARE - Article about Setting up a Listening Room without Treatments

I've seen some folks post photos of their listening rooms that are set up this way. Theoretically, you can get better imaging and better overall staging in a relatively small room.

Anyone using this configuration? What is your experience.

Thinking through a couple of configurations will help me figure which room might be best in my house, and what modifications may be required. (another interesting concept is using a closet as a bass trap).

In my smallish listening room, I found diagonal speaker placement produced much better imaging than I could achieve with across length or breadth. Click below to see pics

The Room

I experimented with using a closet as a bass trap, I could measure the differences but door issues led me not to use it. Most effect is damping with corner traps in all 4 corners.

REW is your friend. I found identifying the room mode frequencies and then replaying these frequencies from a signal generator allowed me to locate the bass hotspots and to place treatment

How much room treatment you will think you need for the higher frequencies is quite system dependant on the amount of low level information being presented, and the quality of it. The goal is to deliver an unconfusing sonic picture to our brain ;-)

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Firstly I've no experience of diagonal settings as my rooms have always been rectangular.

From the Decware article it seems he advocates a diagonal setting to avoid using panels on walls but he still uses bass traps.

In my rectangular room I've used panels on front and back walls, as well as bass traps mostly in the corners on the front wall. I also put my gear on a side wall, not between the speakers (a suggestion I picked up from Jim Smith's book 'Get Better Sound'). This allowed panels to be put on the front wall. I did try panels in front of the gear when on the front wall but I couldn't see what was going on or operate the remote. I found side wall panels unnecessary.

I can see that diagonal is useful in awkward situations, like Eurodriver's, but I would think for a rectangular room it would be best to stick to conventional arrangements.