IGNORED

New to audiophile world. Some noob questions

Hi folks,

I ordered my first high end headphones. The V Moda Crossfade m100.

I rip my CDs as mp3s at 320kbps. Is this good enough quality to utilize the full potential of m100 or do you advise me to keep it FLAC?

When it comes to the player. I own a Galaxy Note 2. Do you think it's powerful enough to run the m100 at full throttle or do you think I'll need a specialized player? Some are even using mobile amplifiers... Will I need an amplifiers even when I get, let's say, a recent Sony Walkman?

Thanx in advance guys, as you see I'm completely lost :)

Any suggestions are welcome,

Umyd

Welcome aboard the crazy train! (Just kidding, but do join us.) OK, I don't know the m100s or the Galaxy Note, but if you think you are getting more serious about sound quality, then I'd recommend ripping to a lossless format like FLAC. Many better headphones do need better amps than those in portable players; but not all do. If you have an old style receiver with a headphone out, then you can do an easy test to see if the m100s sound better played trough the receiver or through your Galaxy. Sony Walkmans didn't have much in the way of decent amps in them. If you do end up wanting a portable headphone amp, the JDS Objective is great for the $. If you are using them at home, people here praise the Schitt amps at their price.

Congrats Vmoda m100 are getting great reviews. I recomend adding a portable amp to your player. I use a JDS labs , great value. Music recommend ripping to lossless. Any format will do check your player. Since I use iTunes a lot I use Alac and aiff. Enjoy

Hi folks,

I ordered my first high end headphones. The V Moda Crossfade m100.

I rip my CDs as mp3s at 320kbps. Is this good enough quality to utilize the full potential of m100 or do you advise me to keep it FLAC?

Ripping is a painful and long exercise, and you certainly don't want to do it twice. Ripping into a lossless format like flac or alac will give you a bit identical copy of your CD; while ripping at 320kbps will result in an inevitable loss.

So, while MP3 320 can sound decent, with today's prices for memory there is no reason at all to not rip in lossless!

If you need an MP3 copy for mobile use later, you can always convert it offline.

Rip the CD in WAV format or Flac for a replica of the CD quality wise, if you pay for good equipment don't feed it below average formats like 320 mp3.

I would also think about a good quality audio player Cowon are a good brand plug your headphones into these and the sound will blow your socks off.