IGNORED

Outputting Two HQ Headphones

Hello everyone!

I have been trying to piece together a setup to output to two HQ headphones simultaneously on my PC and have been struggling to find the correct solution. Basically i want to be able to be playing a game, enjoying great audio while being able to offer a friend the same audio experience. I do a lot of co-op working as well where we would be listening to music while working, and it would be nice to be enjoying the same song at a HQ level. Not to mention Co-Op Oculus gaming :)

The headsets i have had my sights on are these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Performance-Surround-Gaming-Headset/dp/B008O515CK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404149189&sr=8-1&keywords=Sennheiser+363d

I do not have a great soundcard as of yet so i'm imagining i would need one, unless there is an all in one mixer solution i would need to go with.

A couple products people have mentioned to me are:

http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-D1-24-bit-Digital-to-Analog-Converter/dp/B006IPH5H2

Amazon.com: ASTRO Gaming MixAmp Pro Kit: Electronics

And then having some sort of inline powered headphone splitter, however i have NO idea if this is a good setup or not, or even how to piece it together. As you can tell by my wording, i am very confused! Any help would be greatly appreciated and i apologize for my sporadic writing in advance!

hi

the Dangerous Source DAC has 2 output for headphones

with usb and spdif and analogic inputs.

great dac you will keep for a long time.

Maybe too pricey for you, but try to find a second hand one.

Second hand DAC works like a brand new one, why bother ;-)

rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

My take on reading the amazon description is that the headphones come with their own USB 7.1 "sound card." So this leads to a few questions that you'd need to get specific answers to from someone familiar with the sennheisser system: does the 7.1 work through other sound cards? Could you just plug two set ups into two USB ports and be a happy camper? If the included sound card is needed, will it work with output from another sound (internal) card?

Its possible that a splitter could be used, going into the output from their USB sound card... Main problem with splitters can be the more difficult load that the amp has to drive. I'd assume that the amp in this case is internal to their USB sound card, so again, you'll really need someone with specific knowledge of the Senn. System.

the previous posters have suggested quite good DACs to you, but I believe they are two channel only, so would not meet your gaming needs. (Assuming that 7.1 is important to that). Am also unsure what the sonics of the Senn. sound card is; if you do need to use it, it might lower the SQ from a DAC of that caliber.

For $235, get one of these ($50):

Rolls HP4 Headphone amp

and one of these ($185), plus 3.5-6.3 adapter cables:

Rolls MP222 Studio Pro 2-Channel Microphone Preamp

These units are fine, well beyond what you'd ever need for gaming, also useful for other purposes. Now if you want even better sound, there are countless fine headphone amp choices. For example you could buy 2 of these for $200 total:

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA."]Schiit Modi headphone preamp[/url]

It's the same with mic preamps, but you need to read reviews and learn how to connect your 3.5 mm plugs into balanced inputs if you want super good sound, but that's a complete waist for those basic electret mics on the Sennheiser headsets. Anyway you can read Rane Notes for that technical info, then call Sweetwater, they'll set you up:

(800) 222-4700

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.