IGNORED

2014 dream music server/streamer

Gents (and Ladies too of course!)-

I am Soliciting your input and ideas on how to build/buy my dream music server with the following specs:

Hardware:

WiFi

Bluetooth

2-3 USB 2.0-3.0

1TB Internal HD

Optional- SSD

Digital out (optical or coax)

optional - analog RCA L/R out

Great audio quality

Quiet

cool

Small-medium footprint (12"x8"x2" ish)

Stackable, or at least can sit on top of a CD Player

Supports:

external USB cd rom

external USB NTFS HD

Software:

Audio file management & playback

Web browser

Supports iTunes file formats including Apple Lossless

Supports MP3 & FLAC

Optional- DSD playback

Supports complete iPad control. (No monitor, keyboard or mouse needed)

Supports DLNA discovery

Supports Pandora, Spotify, and TuneIn apps

Ideally this would cost less then $1000 US.

I am (mostly) OS and Hardware agnostic.

I would mostly connect this to my DAC, and then into my integrated amp, etc.

I liked the idea of an Olive one, less the LCD and the amp outputs, but that is seeming less and less likely.

I welcome your comments and suggestions on how to build or buy this pie in the sky media server/streamer.

Thanks all in advance!

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

I have a somewhat similar thread down below and real curious to see the responses you get. You largely described a new Mac Mini which could be the way I am leaning.

I notice you want an optical or coax digital out and you are connecting your amp. Are you using a USB DAC or Optical out to a DAC?

I'm looking for either digital coax or optical out to the DAC.

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

jdjaye......again you're getting closer to describing a Mac Mini. It has optical in and out (the newer one for sure does). I'm considering buying the 2.5 GHZ i5 one today (only one available at the Military base overseas I'm at).

Another thing (not on your list or mine) is that I have several stereos together. 3 to be exact and I actually use them all. Each system has it's own DAC. I won't need a dedicated computer (Raspberry PI currently) to control the DAC and switch on the fly. On the Mac Mini I can just select which output device I want to use. Then I can repurpose some of these Raspberry Pi's to other tasks.

Only thing missing might be the complete control thing from iPad. I imagine there is a VNC app for that. I would probably just hook the HDMI up to my TV and use screen sharing from my MacBookAir.

The more I talk to you the more I'm talking myself into my perfect computer audio system will be a Mac Mini.