IGNORED

Best Headphones: STAX!

I am very surprised by the lack of discussion RE: STAX headphones.

So many people discuss Sennheiser HD-800's, Beyer and Audeze. But, when I heard an "entry level" STAX 2170 ($895) system at a www.hifiheadphones.ca location in Canada compared to all of the other top models I was shocked! To me the sound was sooo much more "HiFi" with the STAX, more open, uncompressed and the bass was had the best tone and definition by far.

And that was just the start. Each model represented a significant improvement over the next all the way up to the SR-009 model.

Is it just me? Are there just very few people that have heard a STAX system out there?

I can't believe such a great sounding product isn't being discussed more here...

BTW, the source was a new Sony HAP-Z1ES playing DSD files. Sublime!

I don't get it either, but I love my Stax even though I am a speaker guy. Mine are antiques, but they still sound great.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Yup, couldn't agree more. I've owned / spent time with all the flagships out there, but Stax has always been my go-to. Different league IMO. The hassle with electrostatics for most is that you need the dedicated amplifier which is why they're not as universally used. All you need to do is look at Stax's annual revenue to get a sense for this (the whole company was acquired for US$1.5mm by China's Edifier in 2012), very much a niche. That being said, HeadFi and other dedicated headphone sites are full of Stax followers and a cult following as their performance speaks for itself.

I had the Stax SRX MK3 / SRD7 30 years ago, and they were good - just a little bright. I would love to have the SR009 just for reference if nothing else. I remember part of someone's review that began "....bottomless bass....", so I think most of the experts out there have a great deal of awe for the SR009.

I would love to have the opportunity to hear a set of Stax SR007's or SR009's but brick and mortar stores stocking them are not that easy to find, in the U.S. at least, and I've never been to a headphone meet. I suppose I'll have to go to one sooner or later.

Chris Connaker speaks highly of the SR009's. I suppose I should be happy that I've never heard a pair because then I might crave them. Speaking of potential craves, has anyone heard or read much about the Crayon headphone amp that sells for over 10000 USD(almost the price of an SR009 and TOTL electrostatic amp combined)?

Esau

Electrostatics are coming back - just stumbled across this today:

Astonishing headphones with clarity like you've never heard before - CNET

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I owned the SR5 Golds for over a year's time(recently.. I'm only 5yrs into this hobby) and whilst they did had a lot going for them I eventually found myself drawn back to dynamics. Then again it did take a modern flagship to outpace the vintage mid-range STAX. What they have is a complete lack of distortion which can make it sound as if certain instruments are in the room with you, I fondly remember a sampling of a wolf howling in one of my recordings that put me right into 'fight or flight' mode as I had been half asleep at the time. What STAX lacks though is sufficient body for a number of genres as well as tone(timbre is good, tone relies a bit more on sound weight.) Then again I am talking a 35yr old pair of headphones here, the modern STAX are a very different beast that I haven't had the pleasure of hearing. Comparisons I've seen paint them as lighter in sound than the vintage models(modern 'earpseakers' vs headphones.)

• 3 weeks later...

Stax are great and I started with my father's. But they were always a little bit cumbersome and bothering me, I could never completely forget them while listening. So that's my answer as to why I'm now restricting myself to HD700 / HD800 ;-)

SR-009 + decent amp + decent DAC = $15K.

HD 800 + Lynx Hilo = $4K.

Any other questions?

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

• 2 weeks later...
This is only your wallet talking....not your ears.....

(Audio)

Haven't tried Stax, but my wallet defintly says stick with my current LCD-3's. ;-)

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

This is only your wallet talking....not your ears.....

(Audio)

My ears don't have to write three more years of tuition checks.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

I am very surprised by the lack of discussion RE: STAX headphones.

So many people discuss Sennheiser HD-800's, Beyer and Audeze. But, when I heard an "entry level" STAX 2170 ($895) system at a www.hifiheadphones.ca location in Canada compared to all of the other top models I was shocked! To me the sound was sooo much more "HiFi" with the STAX, more open, uncompressed and the bass was had the best tone and definition by far.

And that was just the start. Each model represented a significant improvement over the next all the way up to the SR-009 model.

Is it just me? Are there just very few people that have heard a STAX system out there?

I can't believe such a great sounding product isn't being discussed more here...

BTW, the source was a new Sony HAP-Z1ES playing DSD files. Sublime!

Stax are, without a doubt, the world's best headphones. Unfortunately, they are very expensive and they require a dedicated power supply/amplifier to get the best out of them. That piece of gear is likewise very expensive. The cost of ownership alone keeps many people who would love a pair of Stax 'phones from owning them. Also, Stax's require a special extension cord that is unwieldy as well as expensive. All of this combines to make Stax 'phones impractical. A better solution for most listeners are the Audeze or HiFiMan isoplanar headphones. These are the magnetic analog of electrostatic phones (Magneplanars for the ears), are almost as good, a lot more practical and a lot less expensive.

George

• 3 months later...

I'm afraid that I'm an electrostatic freak: every other drivers seem to me to be "coloured" in some way although I'm

not naïve enough to say that electrostatics themselves must have "colour" to other listeners...!

For speakers I have 2 pairs of Quad ESL 63's, one with an old subwoofer and one with a Gradient but my favourite

is the 2905: alone it can generate enough bass for me - I would recommend Kode 9 and the Space

Ape "Memories of the Future", Track 3 - as a test track...

As for "earphones" then I have a pair of Stax 009's - absolutely fantastic: sooooo accurate! I have been driving

with an SR 600 Limited Edition valve earphone amp but I do travel between a variety of countries and so I've

checking them out with the much cheaper solid state SR-252S at HiFi lounge in Biggleswade in the UK and found that, to my

ears, the of the two were similar enough that I've been happy enough to buy the 252s's as well...

If you're interested in listening to all of the high performance headphones around - Sennheiser, McIntosh, Stax, Oppo,

Beyer, Audeze and so on I can thoroughly recommend a visit to HiFi Lounge as they are all available, together with

their respective amplifiers...

SR-009 + decent amp + decent DAC = $15K.

HD 800 + Lynx Hilo = $4K.

Any other questions?

That is not a particularly fair comparison.

1. A decent sr-009 setup only costs about 8K. Much less if you buy used.

2. Hd800 are simply not in the same league as Sr-009. A fair comparison would be Hd800 vs mid/low level Stax . I dont remember the exact Stax model I tested (an amp+hp kit for ~$1700) but it did sound cleaner, clearer and more musical than Hd800 in a side-by-side comparison. ~Same price as Hd800 & better.

There are many reasons why electrostats are less popular but I doubt that price is one of the important ones. Problem is that small vendors like Stax dont have the advertising budget of Senn&co ... also portability & compatibility are quite limited, 5-600V is not something you wanna mess with and some of the electrostats look quite funny ... e.g. the mid/low level Stax do look like army HPs from WW2 .. and you can't really take a pair of Stax to school/work to impress people.

Unfortunately, they are very expensive and they require a dedicated power supply/amplifier to get the best out of them.

I used to own Stax headphones, but I felt that their companion high voltage drivers using transistors designed for high voltage deflection circuits in earlier CRT monitors were letting them down.

I did however obtain a marked improvement in performance when using them with a Stax transformer driven by a Class A amplifier.

I heard a more recent pair a couple of weeks ago but again felt that they were being let down by the electronics side.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Having owned Stax Omegas 007 for over 2 years and having heard most of the other headphones discussed in this thread, I agree that the Stax Omega 009 are just in another league.

The old Stax SR5 Golds, although still very impressive at first listen with their speed and clarity, are bright and harsh in the long term. You cannot compare them to the current production Stax models - it is like comparing the 1967 Porsche 911 to the 2014 Porsche 911 (STAX 2170) or to the 2014 Porsche 918 (Omega 009).

Stax Omegas are also wear comfort champs.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Having owned Stax Omegas 007 for over 2 years and having heard most of the other headphones discussed in this thread, I agree that the Stax Omega 009 are just in another league.

The old Stax SR5 Golds, although still very impressive at first listen with their speed and clarity, are bright and harsh in the long term. You cannot compare them to the current production Stax models - it is like comparing the 1967 Porsche 911 to the 2014 Porsche 911 (STAX 2170) or to the 2014 Porsche 918 (Omega 009).

Stax Omegas are also wear comfort champs.

Good analogy in regards to Porsche 911s.

That is not a particularly fair comparison.

Like hell it's not. Statement product vs. statement product. What could be fairer?

And by the way, every 009 I've ever heard has been SHRILL.