I have been thinking about which portable DAC to get for a while...

But, HFHC have a deal that appears to make my decision a lot easier. $100 off the Meridian Explorer(In Canada).

So here comes the loaded, subjective question: Is there anything better at this price?

I have been thinking about which portable DAC to get for a while...

But, HFHC have a deal that appears to make my decision a lot easier. $100 off the Meridian Explorer(In Canada).

So here comes the loaded, subjective question: Is there anything better at this price?

I like my Meridian Explorer - but love the iFi iDSD Nano. You get higher bit rate support and DSD for lower cost than the Meridian, and it sounds great :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I have iFi iDSD Nano as well and it's a great piece for the price ($189 US). I use it in my main setup as a static DAC for right now, and as a portable headphone DAC/amp, and it's pretty incredible what iFi has packed into this thing.

If you're using it as an amp too, then make sure it works well with your headphones. with my Sennheiser HD600s, I love the sound through the iDSD, but the power is limited. I do like to listen loud sometimes am left wanting more sometimes with the iDSD.

I've never used the Meridian unit so I can't compare, just something to think about.

I have iFi iDSD Nano as well and it's a great piece for the price ($189 US). I use it in my main setup as a static DAC for right now, and as a portable headphone DAC/amp, and it's pretty incredible what iFi has packed into this thing.

If you're using it as an amp too, then make sure it works well with your headphones. with my Sennheiser HD600s, I love the sound through the iDSD, but the power is limited. I do like to listen loud sometimes am left wanting more sometimes with the iDSD.

I've never used the Meridian unit so I can't compare, just something to think about.

Neither have the most powerful amplifier (both ~130mW). That said, even the 720mW Geek Out was not powerful enough to adequately drive my HiFiMan HE-500 - probably needs several times the power.

So until someone comes out with a multi-megawatt, portable DAC / headphone amplifier, guess we're stuck with these (nevertheless excellent-sounding) choices.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system