IGNORED

Totaldac D1 usb/filter review

This review is for the TotalDac D1cable/filter. TotalDac is a French company that specializes indigital to analog converters. Their products have been reviewed byAudiostream and other main stream sites. I stumbled upon the D1while purchasing a Chord EX. The sales representative told me aboutthe D1 and highly recommended it, even though he did not carry theline. I was a bit shocked that he made a recommendation outside ofhis product line. It appears that there are still people out therethat value the audiophile experience over the almighty buck.

Let me preface by saying that I was inhigh end audio and video sales for 6 or 7 years while working throughcollege and have had the lucky experience of playing with some reallynice equipment in the stores and customer homes. I am new to thecomputer scene. Over the past 6 months I have been shocked by thequality and convenience afforded by the computer as a source.

I have had three DACs in my system inthe past 6 months. I have used three USB cables including the D1. Mycomparison cable is an Audioquest Carbon. There is a substantialdifference in price between the two cables but this is what I have onhand for comparison. The carbon is .75m and the D1 is three meters.The three meter length allows easy access to my laptop whilelistening. Vincent from Totaldac assured me the length was fine asthe filter portion is placed near the end of the cable. I assume thatthe filter technology plays a large part in the performance of thecable.

I have had the D1 in my system foralmost a week, running a signal 24 hours a day. I could hear asubstantial difference between the AQ and the D1 right out of thebox. I do not have my audiophile dictionary or thesaurus handy soplease take my descriptions with a grain of salt.

The performance of this cable isstartling. Please keep in mind this is coming from a guy that boughtinto the simple 1s and 0s idea of a USB cable. The purchase was ahard pill to swallow as the cable sells for 330 to 390 eurosdepending on length. I only paid 800 dollars for my DAC so this was aleap of faith based on other reviews and advice as mentioned above. Iam going to list the main improvements I hear with the D1, in orderof my perceived significance:

1. detail at all levels including instrument texture
  2. coherence
  3. three dimensional presentation
  4. liquid and smooth delivery
  5. enveloping sound in all planes
  6. huge bass scale and control

When listening I find I am literally“sucked” into the music. Clearly this is based on the quality ofrecording and sound engineering. This cable will expose all aspectsof the recording. Performers occupy distinct areas in the stage andthe presentation is LARGE. Ambiance and air is amazing. I attributethis to the ability of the cable to pass along the detail of therecording. The music extends in front of, outside of, over and wellbeyond the plane of my speakers. As I mentioned I feel like I amenveloped by the sound vs a flatter presentation. I am not a big fanof forward presentations. Even though the presentation is somewhatforward it is well balanced by a deep rear soundstage.

In summary, even though the cable isexpensive the increase in performance is on par with a componentupgrade. I can truly say I have seen improvement in all areas withthe D1. The cable may improve over the next week but I am happywhere I am, listening right now. I have a loaner scheduled from theCable Co. for the Lightspeed. We will see if audiophile nervosatakes hold.

Listening system:

Rotel RDD-1580

Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum

Spendor Sp ½

SVS SB 1000 subwoofers

Nordost Red Dawn speaker cables andinterconnect

Totaldac D1 usb cable/filter

If you have some money to spare, I recommend investing in a keyboard with a working spacebar :)

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Lol. I posted it from a mac program. I guess the spacing got messed up. Is there any way to edit?

You can only edit for half an hour following your post.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

I am very curious about what is inside the little square block, the 30-component filter...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels