IGNORED

advice please for beginner... computer to Wadia 381i

hi all, I am new to this and am totally incompetent with all things technical (just love the sound that comes out) and need some help. I have decided to start the computer audio journey and would love to connect a Wndows 7 PC running JRiver to the DAC buried in my trusty (not so old but apparently superseded by events) Wadia 381i. I hoped it was a simple as connecting the usb (asynchronous, like I know what that really means!) cable from the back of the PC into the wadia and selecting usb input on the menu. but the wadia seems to receive no signal :( . I suspect I need a special USB audio driver on the PC but wadi as website reveals nothing. can anyone tell me there is a simple trick I am missing... or a complicated one. grateful for any pointers. James

hi all, I am new to this and am totally incompetent with all things technical (just love the sound that comes out) and need some help. I have decided to start the computer audio journey and would love to connect a Wndows 7 PC running JRiver to the DAC buried in my trusty (not so old but apparently superseded by events) Wadia 381i. I hoped it was a simple as connecting the usb (asynchronous, like I know what that really means!) cable from the back of the PC into the wadia and selecting usb input on the menu. but the wadia seems to receive no signal :( . I suspect I need a special USB audio driver on the PC but wadi as website reveals nothing. can anyone tell me there is a simple trick I am missing... or a complicated one. grateful for any pointers. James

Call Wadia about drivers. Welcome to the world of computers as music source.

David

Welcome on board! I bet your Wadia is going to sound pretty great.

It seems you've selected the USB input on the Wadia, but have you checked the Playback settings on your PC? I'm primarily a Mac user, but I think you open (search for) Sound in the Control Panel and then "Manage Audio Devices". When you look there, do you see the Wadia device under the Playback tab?

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Welcome on board! I bet your Wadia is going to sound pretty great.

It seems you've selected the USB input on the Wadia, but have you checked the Playback settings on your PC? I'm primarily a Mac user, but I think you open (search for) Sound in the Control Panel and then "Manage Audio Devices". When you look there, do you see the Wadia device under the Playback tab?[/quote

Thanks so much for the suggestion. Will try this when am next at home and will let you know if I have any luck. I think I (or my son) did try this already but will try again. J