IGNORED

HQ Player

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

do you use f secure safe or total ?Tried everything on list

Just the Anti-Virus, because I don't need their firewall functionalities.

But if you tried for example Total, it is enough. The AV engine is the same anyway.

But local playback (to locally connected DAC) works fine for you, only NAA is causing problems? Sounds like a networking issue then. But this seems to be quite a bit of mystery overall.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

Just the Anti-Virus, because I don't need their firewall functionalities.

But if you tried for example Total, it is enough. The AV engine is the same anyway.

But local playback (to locally connected DAC) works fine for you, only NAA is causing problems? Sounds like a networking issue then. But this seems to be quite a bit of mystery overall.

Removed naa playing from pc straight to dac.Still issues but not as bad.Since I use with roon going to play just tidal not use my library see how that goesHave f secure installed.Using it in game modeAnother thing im going to try is my library is on external ssd through usb 3.0.Since my new pc only has 3.1 on motherboard ,going to hook to usb 3.0 on front.

8 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Removed naa playing from pc straight to dac.Still issues but not as bad.Since I use with roon going to play just tidal not use my library see how that goesHave f secure installed.Using it in game modeAnother thing im going to try is my library is on external ssd through usb 3.0.Since my new pc only has 3.1 on motherboard ,going to hook to usb 3.0 on front.

As I said earlier it would be good to copy some test tracks to the internal OS disk and try playback from there. You can scan that test folder as additional folder to the library and later on remove it after testing. Something seems to be making the storage sluggish.

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

As I said earlier it would be good to copy some test tracks to the internal OS disk and try playback from there. You can scan that test folder as additional folder to the library and later on remove it after testing. Something seems to be making the storage sluggish.

Will try that to.I appreciate the help.

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Getting worse now can’t even play dsd files with HQPlayer only pcm.Roon works fine by itself.Tryto play just get the bar that goes back and forth is flickering and HQPlayer non responsive

That's probably your filter setting. At that point it is initializing the DSP engine, depending on your CPU power and filter + output rate selection it may take even several minutes to finish. What are your settings you are trying to use?

By the way, when you are comparing Roon against HQPlayer standalone, are you playing exactly same content in both cases?

46 minutes ago, Miska said:

That's probably your filter setting. At that point it is initializing the DSP engine, depending on your CPU power and filter + output rate selection it may take even several minutes to finish. What are your settings you are trying to use?

By the way, when you are comparing Roon against HQPlayer standalone, are you playing exactly same content in both cases?

Same content Roon against HQPlayer.Trying all dsd 256 filters.PC has 8086K cpu,corsiar platinum 3200mhz memory,asus hero z390 motherboard,m.2 ssd .Computer should have plenty enough power.It work perfectly for a certain amount of time then issues arise.

35 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Same content Roon against HQPlayer.Trying all dsd 256 filters.PC has 8086K cpu,corsiar platinum 3200mhz memory,asus hero z390 motherboard,m.2 ssd .Computer should have plenty enough power.It work perfectly for a certain amount of time then issues arise.

Thermal problem? How do the CPU core temperatures look like when it stops working properly?

For example if you try something like 44.1k PCM to 48k x512 DSD using poly-sinc-xtr it is not going to work. It will take quite a while to initialize and then ultimately fail to play properly. Good starting point for tests would be something like poly-sinc-2s as filter, shouldn't be heavy at all for that CPU.

27 minutes ago, Miska said:

Thermal problem? How do the CPU core temperatures look like when it stops working properly?

For example if you try something like 44.1k PCM to 48k x512 DSD using poly-sinc-xtr it is not going to work. It will take quite a while to initialize and then ultimately fail to play properly. Good starting point for tests would be something like poly-sinc-2s as filter, shouldn't be heavy at all for that CPU.

Never seen cpu temps above 47.

54 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

What about a thermal problem on  the RAM? Are your Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM modules on your motherboard supported list?

Yes ram is supported.Its frustrating it will work great for a hour and then will start acting up.Dont know what else to try.

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Yes ram is supported.Its frustrating it will work great for a hour and then will start acting up.Dont know what else to try.

That just certainly sounds like thermal problem... Especially if it gets back to normal after letting the machine rest on idle for half an hour or so, without rebooting. If it needs reboot, then it could be some resource leak in some always running software piece (even device driver). Or even a component drift if it needs power down to recover.

One option to test things would be to boot up my HQPlayer Embedded OS image and try playing same things through that, since that doesn't require installing anything. Maybe not the easiest thing though. Or installing HQPlayer Desktop on some normal Linux distribution live image. This way hardware would be the same, but software would be different from the ground up.

I would like to know if there is any alternative to Sonore as a high quality, Linux OS, end point only, that doesn't require Room software.

I have lumin, bricasti, aries, antipodes in mind but I don't know if any of those are compatible without Roon.

I'm using a ESS9018AQ2M DAC.

2 hours ago, rikirk said:

I would like to know if there is any alternative to Sonore as a high quality, Linux OS, end point only, that doesn't require Room software.

I have lumin, bricasti, aries, antipodes in mind but I don't know if any of those are compatible without Roon.

I'm using a ESS9018AQ2M DAC.

Any player that is upnp compatible  can be setup to work with programs such as JRiver and Logitech Media Server among others. DLNA compatible  devices also allow you to use various existing software. The Bricasti is one of the upnp'/DNLA compatible devices.  The Aries and Lumin have their own ecosystem, so you don't need Roon at all. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

57 minutes ago, firedog said:

Any player that is upnp compatible  can be setup to work with programs such as JRiver and Logitech Media Server among others. DLNA compatible  devices also allow you to use various existing software. The Bricasti is one of the upnp'/DNLA compatible devices.  The Aries and Lumin have their own ecosystem, so you don't need Roon at all. 

Or HQPlayer Embedded, to stay on topic... ;)

On 11/17/2018 at 6:05 PM, Jud said:

Curiosity got the best of me again, couldn’t leave well enough alone.  I upgraded Lubuntu to 18.10, and HQPlayer doesn’t work correctly.  It starts, but (1) When I try to play something, it crashes; and (2) Dragging and dropping a folder no longer shows the tracks in the folder, it shows the folder name as the “track” to be played.

I’m thinking perhaps files I allowed the upgrade to get rid of were necessary for HQP’s proper operation.  I’ve tried simply reinstalling, but no change.

So - suggestions for getting HQP working correctly with 18.10?  Or simpler to just reinstall 18.04?  (And my apologies for bothering folks when Miska’s repeatedly talked about the .04 builds being those he supports.)

Dead simple just to reinstall 18.04.  Back in business....

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

That just certainly sounds like thermal problem... Especially if it gets back to normal after letting the machine rest on idle for half an hour or so, without rebooting. If it needs reboot, then it could be some resource leak in some always running software piece (even device driver). Or even a component drift if it needs power down to recover.

One option to test things would be to boot up my HQPlayer Embedded OS image and try playing same things through that, since that doesn't require installing anything. Maybe not the easiest thing though. Or installing HQPlayer Desktop on some normal Linux distribution live image. This way hardware would be the same, but software would be different from the ground up.

Not a thermal problem.For example play fine say for a hour .It will act up for say two or threee songs then will play fine again for awhile.This all happens without reboot.

Nvidia card prices may finally become more reasonable.  Bitcoin has gone from $19,000 to $4,500 in the past 12 months, so the demand from cryptocurrency miners is dramatically lower.  Apparently Nvidia has an oversupply of Pascal cards in the channel as well.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 11/13/2018 at 2:38 PM, Miska said:

At least mine allows it, but plays such DSD rates incorrectly using 44.1k clock. So both 44.1k and 48k base rate content needs to be converted to for example 44.1k x512 output rate. This is heavier for 48k content than for 44.1k content. Luckily much lighter though than vice versa (44.1k content to 48k x512). So it is possible to run, but still needs quite hefty machine.

As you have explained earlier, one can upsample 48k (multiple) content by converting to44.1k (multiple) content by limiting samplerate to e.g. 11,2Mhz for DSD256.

This works fine for poly-sinc family, but not for other ones, such as Minringfir & Closed Form (tested in HQe 4.60.1)

can this his also be supported on these filters or is there a technical reason that would prohibit this?

Dirk

1 hour ago, rikirk said:

I meant HQ Player end point without Roon compatibility.

Sonore, Sotm and Roon server are the only ones I know.

What kind of endpoint are you after? Sonore and SoTM have HQPlayer endpoint (NAA). Or you can make one buy getting hardware separately and then using bootable NAA image.

5 minutes ago, ddetaey said:

This works fine for poly-sinc family, but not for other ones, such as Minringfir & Closed Form (tested in HQe 4.60.1)

can this his also be supported on these filters or is there a technical reason that would prohibit this?

Yes, there is a technical reason, so it cannot be done...