IGNORED

HQ Player

2 minutes ago, n2it said:

I have been looking at the DX200 - I like having a fit for purpose device (i.e a DAP instead of a phone with an external DAC/AMP) and also like being able to also use as a good DAC.  Have you tried the DAC at DSD 512 with the ASIO drivers? 

DSD512 plays very well with dx200.  I am trying to run the PCM 768KHz now 

just be mindful as it is a portable player, it gets hot when running DSD512.  Don’t put it in the case, and have it on top of something cold like a metal surface 

On 9/18/2018 at 10:52 AM, tedwoods said:

You are spot on!

ext 2 really caught me off guard! 

The combination of the updated DSD5 modulator and ext 2, is the best sound I ever got!

Cheers, @Miska

Thanks to your post, I’ve tried this combination and much prefer it over my previous favourite (ADMSD7+512fs with closed form fast). Also using upstate do CIC. Outputting DSD256 to ifi micro iDSD BL. Best sound I’ve heard yet!  Very 3D and less thin.  Closest I’ve come to matching my nice vinyl setup (MC into ifi iPhono2).

It is great to have so many choices!  I do not adequately understand the science behind all of it, so trial & error is how I’m tweaking (plus suggestions from this forum ?).

On 9/21/2018 at 2:58 PM, MikePid said:

Thanks to your post, I’ve tried this combination and much prefer it over my previous favourite (ADMSD7+512fs with closed form fast). Also using upstate do CIC. Outputting DSD256 to ifi micro iDSD BL. Best sound I’ve heard yet!  Very 3D and less thin.  Closest I’ve come to matching my nice vinyl setup (MC into ifi iPhono2).

It is great to have so many choices!  I do not adequately understand the science behind all of it, so trial & error is how I’m tweaking (plus suggestions from this forum ?).

Happy to hear you're getting a great sound!

On 9/21/2018 at 7:58 AM, MikePid said:

So what combination do you use for dsd?

7 hours ago, Yviena said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to invert the phase in one or both channels with hqplayer ?

To invert both channels, click the "Inv" button.

To invert only one channel, you'd have to create a convolution filter file consisting of only a single pulse of amplitude –1.  Then apply it to one channel in the Matrix dialog.  You can create such a file at:

https://www.wavtones.com/functiongenerator.php

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

5 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

To invert both channels, click the "Inv" button.

To invert only one channel, you'd have to create a convolution filter file consisting of only a single pulse of amplitude –1.  Then apply it to one channel in the Matrix dialog.  You can create such a file at:

https://www.wavtones.com/functiongenerator.php

Hmm I see so I should select pulse, level at -1 is that correct?

What about type/width, khz of file and the other little symbol, should I have a 352/384khz file if music is upsampled etc or is 44.1 enough.

2 hours ago, Yviena said:

Hmm I see so I should select pulse, level at -1 is that correct?

What about type/width, khz of file and the other little symbol, should I have a 352/384khz file if music is upsampled etc or is 44.1 enough.

Convolution filters should be always as high rate as possible 352.8/384k is good. Also make another, positive pulse for the other channel if you wanted to invert just one of the channels.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Convolution filters should be always as high rate as possible 352.8/384k is good. Also make another, positive pulse for the other channel if you wanted to invert just one of the channels.

Hmm I probably need to find another site/software than wavtones.com then as they can only do 192khz max.

Do you have any recommendations, for some not to complicated software to make convolution files with?

3 hours ago, Yviena said:

Hmm I probably need to find another site/software than wavtones.com then as they can only do 192khz max.

Do you have any recommendations, for some not to complicated software to make convolution files with?

Depending on what kind of source content you have, 192k may be good too. If you don't have much DXD/DSD content, then 192k will do.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Depending on what kind of source content you have, 192k may be good too. If you don't have much DXD/DSD content, then 192k will do.

Most of my content is either 44.1 or 88.2/96khz PCM upsampled to 352/384.

OK so far as I understood it, I should create a pulse file with inverted phase sample set to 1 for single sample, and dbfs should either be default -6 or -1.

Correct me if I'm wrong as this is basically my first time with convolution filters.

1 hour ago, Yviena said:

Most of my content is either 44.1 or 88.2/96khz PCM upsampled to 352/384.

OK so far as I understood it, I should create a pulse file with inverted phase sample set to 1 for single sample, and dbfs should either be default -6 or -1.

Correct me if I'm wrong as this is basically my first time with convolution filters.

Your source content scale determines what is enough for the convolution filter.

Yes. Although I would like to understand what you are trying to achieve? There's the invert button to invert all channels, if you want to invert only some, at the moment you'd need to use convolution filter to do that.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Your source content scale determines what is enough for the convolution filter.

Yes. Although I would like to understand what you are trying to achieve? There's the invert button to invert all channels, if you want to invert only some, at the moment you'd need to use convolution filter to do that.

I want to basically invert the right channel before it reaches the DAC, then revert it again after the headamp with a phase reversal cable for the same channel.

According to this tweak I found on SBAF https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/twisty-turn-y-things-single-channel-polarity-phase-reversal.2942/

It should do the following assuming the headphone cable has a xlr jack but it's also possible to use it with a unbalanced amp by using a adapter before the phase reversal cable.

In short, the idea is to more efficiently and completely utilize the full power capacity of an amplifier, and the available rail-to-rail potential difference/swing, by driving left and right channels in opposite phase/polarity within the DAC/amplifier, and then correcting phase/polarity before getting to the headphone (we do it in the headphone cable, with a simple adapter).

In theory, driving the channels in offset like this will cause less sag against each rail and draw current from both of them independently, rather than in a common mode. At headphone power levels, the relative power demand differences are not going to be huge, but then we’re not dealing with very much available power to begin with.

It doesn't hurt to try the tweak and if no positive changes are heard it's easily reversible.

26 minutes ago, Yviena said:

According to this tweak I found on SBAF https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/twisty-turn-y-things-single-channel-polarity-phase-reversal.2942/

It should do the following assuming the headphone cable has a xlr jack but it's also possible to use it with a unbalanced amp by using a adapter before the phase reversal cable.

It doesn't hurt to try the tweak and if no positive changes are heard it's easily reversible.

OK, I see! I thought you were trying to run amp as bridged or something...

It shouldn't make any difference with a proper headphone amp, I have never seen PSU rails sag on a headphone amp. And not on power amps either until they reach their maximum continuous power output level...

Same trick can be used to do balanced headphone drive by using two headphone amps and multi-channel DAC (like exaSound e38) though.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

OK, I see! I thought you were trying to run amp as bridged or something...

It shouldn't make any difference with a proper headphone amp, I have never seen PSU rails sag on a headphone amp. And not on power amps either until they reach their maximum continuous power output level...

Maybe not voltage sag but better efficiency/full utilization of available power can't be worse.

Same trick can be used to do balanced headphone drive by using two headphone amps and multi-channel DAC (like exaSound e38) though.

I always was wondering, if it's possible to use 2 seperate headphone amplifiers to power each left/right channel... and if there would be any gains in doing so, maybe that should be my next DIY project.

55 minutes ago, Yviena said:

I always was wondering, if it's possible to use 2 seperate headphone amplifiers to power each left/right channel... and if there would be any gains in doing so, maybe that should be my next DIY project.

Yes it is possible. The gain would be possibility to use headphones in balanced (bridged) mode, you get double the output power. Downside is twice higher output impedance, so it is best to have a headphone with low output impedance to begin with.

Same approach of course works with loudspeaker amps too, even if amps don't have bridge mode, they can be bridged this way.

Hello @Miska,

I have been using HQPlayer in Full Screen mode and found it quite nice.
Was wondering if you could add the information on Filters, Dither, Oversampling and Modulation on the Full Screen display?  

109650960_HQPlayerFullScreen.thumb.jpg.4202361516895e4e0fcff6c56fb31ebb.jpg  

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

1 hour ago, Nikhil said:

Hello @Miska,

I have been using HQPlayer in Full Screen mode and found it quite nice.
Was wondering if you could add the information on Filters, Dither, Oversampling and Modulation on the Full Screen display?  

109650960_HQPlayerFullScreen.thumb.jpg.4202361516895e4e0fcff6c56fb31ebb.jpg  

Respectfully, I like the screen minimalist / uncluttered as is, without too much to distract from the prominently displayed album art. In the current version, standard and full screen can both be active simultaneously. This allows an easy toggle to check filter, modulator etc... w/o having to close full screen as was the case in  prior versions.

Untitled.jpg

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi