IGNORED

HQ Player

25 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

No Jussi i took your advice. I swapped out my Ugreen Cat 7 (with the metal RJ-45) for these Cat 6 UTP cables with plastic RJ-45. The shielding is external aluminium foil wrapping with a connecting earth wire to link both ends of this foil shield. It is an External shield NOT connected at all to the RJ45 connectors( a la John Swenson) .

OK, but where is the earth wire connected to? You still have a potential ground current problem if both ends are not connected to the exactly same point...

I'll try to find time to draw diagram of my network setup at some point. But roughly the architecture is that I have internet connections (3) coming to a technical equipment room where also the main network patchbay is. There I have firewalls and two managed switches. Then in each room I have a room specific switch, some of those are managed and some are dumb. The equipment in each room is connected to the room specific switch. Most of the networking gear is powered through UPS'es (line-interactive, contains mains filter too). Cabling is all standard cheap CAT6 UTP (unshielded), apart from couple of very short ones in the equipment room. So every networked device is isolated from each other (floating, no grounds).

In listening room and office, I have two mains filters, both connected to the same power feed. In listening room, one used for all equipment with SMPSU's and the other one for the ones with LPSU's (few DACs plus amps). In the office, one used for computers (UPS) and one for audio equipment (DACs, headphone amps, etc).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I have a couple of questions about Bitrate/limit DSD settings.

Do I need to change this setting for different file sample rates, does a 24/96 file require different settings?

What would be the best settings for converting PCM to DSD using a Teac UD-501?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

7 minutes ago, semente said:

I have a couple of questions about Bitrate/limit DSD settings.

Do I need to change this setting for different file sample rates, does a 24/96 file require different settings?

What would be the best settings for converting PCM to DSD using a Teac UD-501?

I know this is not the answer to your question, nevertheless. After playing with DSD upsampling for couple of years I have everything in PCM now. By some reason it sounds more natural to my ears in the present sound set. Closed-form filter and 768 limit with no dither works just fine.

28 minutes ago, semente said:

No you do not need to change anything in your settings. (you do have to specify the highest rate your DAC can accept)

if you have Auto Rate option enabled HQPlayer will automatically select the optimum rate to your DAC.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I use a DAC that has configurable stop-band attenuation of 130 dB, 90 dB, and 50 dB. If I used an HQPlayer filter like poly-sinc that has a higher amount of stop-band attenuation than that on the FPGA, would the additional attenuation of say 130dB on the FPGA cause additional ringing, or would it do nothing because the pre-attenuation of the HQPlayer filter? I am wondering is it better to set the lowest attenuation on the FPGA when using HQPlayer, or does it not matter.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, aljordan said:

I use a DAC that has configurable stop-band attenuation of 130 dB, 90 dB, and 50 dB. If I used an HQPlayer filter like poly-sinc that has a higher amount of stop-band attenuation than that on the FPGA, would the additional attenuation of say 130dB on the FPGA cause additional ringing, or would it do nothing because the pre-attenuation of the HQPlayer filter? I am wondering is it better to set the lowest attenuation on the FPGA when using HQPlayer, or does it not matter.

After first 2x to 4x rate increase the ringing of filter to follow doesn't affect ringing anymore. So it should be safe and advisable to keep filter with highest attenuation if you cannot feed at high enough rate to bypass in-DAC filtering completely.

On 6/24/2018 at 12:52 PM, Nikhil said:

No you do not need to change anything in your settings. (you do have to specify the highest rate your DAC can accept)

if you have Auto Rate option enabled HQPlayer will automatically select the optimum rate to your DAC.

Sorry to bother you with this but how should I go about with the DSDIFF/DSF settings?
What should I use for "noise filter" (if anything) and "integrator"?

I'm using DSD analog FIR filter #4 (fc = 94 kHz, Gain = −3.3 dB) on the DAC (for no particular reason I must add).

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

My guess it is very specific to your audio components and personal preferences. Also, if you use direct mode and change volume anywhere else, not in HQPlayer, these settings are not active. I found out I prefer HQP volume control mode over DAC control (iFi iDSD). But, as I told before, I abandoned SDM and use PCM mode now.

1 hour ago, semente said:

...  how should I go about with the DSDIFF/DSF settings?
What should I use for "noise filter" (if anything) and "integrator"?

DSDIFF/DSF Settings are for DSD to PCM conversion.

Selecting the "DirectSDM" check box disables all processing for DSD files to a DSD DAC.

I usually have this checked and let DSD pass thru without processing.

For DSD to PCM conversion:

Jussi recommends the "poly-short-lin"  Conversion Type (Linear phase, slow roll off single pass algorithm)

Use "poly-short-mp" if you prefer Minimum Phase version instead.

Use either "standard" or "low" Noise Filters

(For PCM rate upto 88.2/96kHz the standard option is sufficient)

Integrator is to select type of Delta Sigma Integrator (IIR, FIR or CIC) 

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

, I abandoned SDM and use PCM mode

That's the opposite of what Jussi recommended, that is upsample all files ( PCM/DSD) to high rate DSD and skip PCM altogether.

I upsample everything to DSD 128 and can't imagine Not doing that! I'm interested in getting DSD 256 on my IMac, but don't want to buy (yet) another Dac.

I don't like the High Output Level of the Myteks, and the new IFI DSD Dac seems to want to do all the Processing itself,

don't know how it might work with HQ/Mac.

Not ready to open expensive cans of worms!

DSD 128 on HQ is the best sound I've heard.

Especially with Mac D 150.

9 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

That's the opposite of what Jussi recommended, that is upsample all files ( PCM/DSD) to high rate DSD and skip PCM altogether.

I upsample everything to DSD 128 and can't imagine Not doing that! I'm interested in getting DSD 256 on my IMac, but don't want to buy (yet) another Dac.

I don't like the High Output Level of the Myteks, and the new IFI DSD Dac seems to want to do all the Processing itself,

PCM upsampled sounds a bit more lively than it upsampled to DSD.  I personally prefer the more smooth sound of PCM upsampled to DSD.  I let HQP upsample to DSD 128, and then my DirectStream Junior DAC upsamples that to DSD 1280....

1 hour ago, jimdukey said:

I also found I prefer PCM to DSD on my ifi idsd. I use closed-form N5 768. Bass has more body and impact and closed-form still pulls in all the detail. 

Not sure if was the analog filters of the ifi that were affecting dsd for me but with PCM you completely bypass all ifi filters. 

On 6/15/2018 at 11:40 AM, Miska said:

With 9 dB boost you need 9 dB compensation and use max -3 dB volume, or you use max -12 dB volume...

Could have something to do with OpenGL drivers or something else. I don't support or test Windows Server versions, so cannot comment. What I've tested, has been working OK for me on Windows 10 Pro but if someone has problems with that on Win 10 Pro I'd like to hear about used GPU and driver version. Full screen mode in Windows is typically used for games and Windows Server is certainly not targeted to that market, so Microsoft and driver vendors may not test that much. But you can disable full screen mode from HQPlayer settings and use the same GUI in windowed mode instead and just maximize the window, you'll then have window frames and task bar though, but otherwise the same GUI.

Thank you Miska, I took the RePhase route (hard but really worth it) in order to time correct as well. Jose James (usual suspect) plays just fine with -2dB in HQP adding security to a - 5 dB in Rephase

21 hours ago, jimdukey said:

But you're using Software and Ifi Dac meant primarily for DSD.

Have you tried an R to R dac?

They are supposed to be great on PCM, no DSD at all.

Probably more $ than Ifi, tho.

Haven’t tried R-2R dac yet but saw there’s good option for only $350. 

I was was thinking of just saving up for the Schitt yiggy one day since I’m a fan of the closed-form filter. 

Went back and tried DSD 256 closed-form ASMD 7 and different ifi filter switch settings and none sounded as good as PCM. With DSD you get smoother vocals, blacker background, and little more air but lose out on the rhythm and impact.

I find myself tapping my foot and enjoying the music more in PCM. DSD still sounds great but doesn’t draw me in as much. But this could just be on the ifi and my headphone setup.  Using AT L3000 headphones, which were known for being one of the best bass headphones at the time. 

Hi, Shouldn't you be using one of DSD 256 Modulators?

Also Poly-sinc-extr-mp--2s.

I would try Bit-Perfect in the Ifi, and let HQ do everything, upsampling to highest rate available on the Ifi.

I'm interested in their new one, $2500, but don't really know how it  would work best w/HQ.

No such choices on my Dacs.

Too many choices sometimes...

1 hour ago, jimdukey said:

Hi, Shouldn't you be using one of DSD 256 Modulators?

Also Poly-sinc-extr-mp--2s.

I would try Bit-Perfect in the Ifi, and let HQ do everything, upsampling to highest rate available on the Ifi.

I'm interested in their new one, $2500, but don't really know how it  would work best w/HQ.

No such choices on my Dacs.

Too many choices sometimes...

I don’t think ifi does bit perfect in DSD, does it?  I see extreme/extended/standard with for measurements. 

And no matter what DSD settings, I don’t get same impact as PCM with closed-filter N5.  Don’t think this has anything to do with HQPlayer as it does the ifi itself. 

2 hours ago, Miska said:

When you input DSD to iFi, the DAC's filter selector switches between different conversion stage configurations (analog FIR filters). I use "standard" setting and DSD512, but one can experiment with different ones.

I’ll give DSD another try with the standard setting. Can only max out at DSD256 since using a Mac. 

20 hours ago, jabbr said:

Looking through the hqp-control code, I don't see an XML interface to set which NAA is to be used. Nor to iterate on which devices are available. Is this possible?

No, there's nothing dealing with configuration in the control API. That would need authentication and while I started adding that functionality there at one point, it wasn't completed and has been on hold for a while due to high priority things (nobody has really needed such thing).

But you can store multiple configurations locally and then use the control interface to switch between those.

3 hours ago, jimdukey said:

When does one move from Newbie to Sophomore?

I have more posts than some Sophomores!

And most of mine  are Very Sophomoric...

I think I'm Ready.

You can change it yourself in your profile to anything you like. Can be Jedi Master level if you want ?