IGNORED

HQ Player

7 hours ago, ted_b said:

Yes, I guess if the UltraRendu is acting as an HQP NAA then it is looking for a Linux driver from the Su-1 (and yes, v2.2x is firmware).  Maybe THAT driver (which is no specific driver per se, it is just a Linux UAC2 compliant kernel) is faulty above DSD128...dunno.  That is a reason to try going direct, eliminating the Rendu NAA.  Then you'd be using Windows drivers.  Worth a try, just to begin to isolate.

Maybe someone who runs Linux NAA of any sort into a DDC can help.

Thanks Ted. I will do more testing this evening to try to isolate the problem.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I'm running HQPlayer and NAAs primarily on Linux, up to DSD512... Don't know about SU-1, but my Linux machine running HQPlayer Embedded and/or NAA to Holo Spring works fine. Along with other Linux machines running DACs like my DSC1 and iFi and Pro-Ject at DSD512.

Glad to hear you are using a similar setup with no issues Jussi.

This evening I will try bypassing the SU-1 to try to isolate the issue. 

Thanks for chiming in.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

I took the SU-1 out of the chain and the hiss is gone.

@Bimmer100 Any ideas what could be causing this?

Here's my original post:

31 minutes ago, gsquared said:

I took the SU-1 out of the chain and the hiss is gone.

@Bimmer100 Any ideas what could be causing this?

Here's my original post:

Never have heard of an issue like this. Do you have a PC to test the SU-1 and Dac with? bypass the Ultrarendu?  This woudl be my first suggestion.   And when you play DSD256 original recorded native resolution does it hiss? or does this ONLY happen with HQplayer upsampling other files to DSD256 or DSD512?  Have you tried other programs like Jriver to upsample to DSD256 or DSD512 to see if it there is hiss?  Just want to be sure you have tried more than HQplayer for this issue. 

But pondering the thought of other possibilities... if there is some reflection or noise happening between SU1 and URendu. ODD that only DSD is having issues? you're sure your dip switches on the bottom of the SU1 are all off? What HDMI cable are you using and length, firmly seated? btw, i2s/hdmi is not hot swapable and never should be plugged or unplugged when either device it's being plugged into is powered on... ALWAYS power off both devices when plugging in HDMi i2s cables just to be safe.  Are both the SU-1 and URendu plugged into the same circuit/outlet? Do you have any mods done to your SU1, any at all, if so....what mods? Doubt it's a grounding loop issue, but just wondering how your setup is with power cables, or anything inline the usb from UR to SU1. what USB cable and length etc. How much detail on your setup chains and how things are hooked up in general...  could you share a little detail? 

Tim Connor

KitsuneHifi.com / HoloAudio USA

12 hours ago, Bimmer100 said:

Do you have a PC to test the SU-1 and Dac with?

You mean a different PC than my Mac Mini running as a PC? I have a PC laptop running Windows that I suppose I could test. But my Mac Mini is running in Boot Camp mode, which is basically running the hardware as Windows machine. But I can try the laptop too. I think I will need to install the Holo Audio drivers though, correct? 

I will also try bypassing Ultrarendu and connecting directly via USB. I've run it this way in the past and I didn't notice any hiss.

you're sure your dip switches on the bottom of the SU1 are all off?

Yes they are all off.

What HDMI cable are you using and length, firmly seated?

The HDMI cable is the Wireworld Starlight 5.2, length is .3m and it's firmly seated. 

Are both the SU-1 and URendu plugged into the same circuit/outlet?

The SU-1 is plugged directly into my Audience Adept Response 12 and the URendu is plugged into a Furutech e-TP60 power distributor, which is also plugged into the Audience.

Do you have any mods done to your SU1, any at all, if so....what mods?

No no mods.

Later this evening I can share more details about my setup and how things are hooked up. But first I'll try your suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

7 minutes ago, ted_b said:

And don't forget to try SU-1 from Mac/Windows (i.e just bypassing uRendu).

This was my reasoning to use a pc

to bypass the ultrarendu. 

As driver or not with a pc makes zero difference if you use a Linux based server like urendu. Issues with Linux are common in my experience. So hoping to try without Linux in the mix. 

Tim Connor

KitsuneHifi.com / HoloAudio USA

2 hours ago, jimdukey said:

The 2-s Filters mention being for the "Higher rates " of DSD upsampling.

Does that start at DSD 256, or should it be used on DSD 128?

I see that 2-s uses less processing power, but the non 2-s still have at least 50% idle.

Not sure I hear a difference...

The non -2s filters require considerably more processing power. The rate at which you can no longer use these depends on your computer's processing power and choice of filter.  For example, the xtr filters are the most demanding in terms of processing power. You can find the limit for yourself by trying non -2s filter upsampling until you reach the point where you can no longer play the music uninterrupted, i.e. the point at which your computer can no longer keep up with the demand for processing power. Depending on your processor, you will likely find that the same type of filter in -2s form will play the music without problems. If you don't hear a difference between non -2s filters and -2s filters, stick with the lower processor load, i.e. the -2s filters. The most demanding non -2s filters are beyond the capability of most currently available processors.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

4 hours ago, Bimmer100 said:

As driver or not with a pc makes zero difference if you use a Linux based server like urendu. Issues with Linux are common in my experience. So hoping to try without Linux in the mix. 

I usually have most pain and suffering with Windows... ;) Trying to avoid it to maximum extent possible.

If something works with Mac and the now built-in UAC2 driver of Windows, it will very likely work also on Linux. But in addition Linux supports raw DSD without DoP for selected devices.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

This may be a dumb question, but I am somewhat confused by the following instruction on the Signalyst web page:

Important! On Windows, uninstall the previous version of HQPlayer before installing 3.14 or newer!

Does this mean that, if you have version 3.14 or earlier installed, uninstall it before installing any later version, or does it mean that for version 3.14 and all later versions, uninstall it before installing the newer version? IOW, If I have version 3.19 installed, does it mean that I should uninstall it before installing 3.20, or can I just run the setup program for 3.20 with 3.19 still installed? I believe that it applies only to 3.14 and earlier and I can run setup for 3.20 without uninstalling 3.19,  but I could be wrong.

Of equal or greater importance, how can I retain the changes that I made to the metadata in the library.xml file for 3.19 when installing 3.20?

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

29 minutes ago, Allan F said:

This may be a dumb question, but I am somewhat confused by the following instruction on the Signalyst web page:

Important! On Windows, uninstall the previous version of HQPlayer before installing 3.14 or newer!

Does this mean that, if you have version 3.14 or earlier installed, uninstall it before installing any later version, or does it mean that for version 3.14 and all later versions, uninstall it before installing the newer version? IOW, If I have version 3.19 installed, does it mean that I should uninstall it before installing 3.20, or can I just run the setup program for 3.20 with 3.19 still installed? I believe that it applies only to 3.14 and earlier and I can run setup for 3.20 without uninstalling 3.19,  but I could be wrong.

Of equal or greater importance, how can I retain the changes that I made to the metadata in the library.xml file for 3.19 when installing 3.20?

On windows always uninstall the old version and install the new version is the rule.  I assume the library.xml hangs around as all your settings and your activation key do but you could copy it someplace for safe keeping and do the uninstall reinstall and see.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

33 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

On windows always uninstall the old version and install the new version is the rule.  I assume the library.xml hangs around as all your settings and your activation key do but you could copy it someplace for safe keeping and do the uninstall reinstall and see.

Thanks. I always keep at least two backups of my library.xml file, but I wasn't sure if the library.xml file in AppData for HQPlayer was retained when HQPlayer is uninstalled.

I just realized that I am already at 3.20.1. Does the same rule apply rule apply in updating to 3.20.2?

I still want to know how I can retain the changes I made to the metadata in the library.xml file for 3.20.1 when installing 3.20.2 and recreating the library. For example, I have manually made dozens of edits to the library.xml file to change artist to "Various" for compilation and tribute albums and to eliminate duplicate artists created by HQPlayer. I would like to avoid repeating that time consuming process if I can.

@Miska,  I'm not sure if I'm missing it... Is there a way to set convolution or pipeline settings through the control APIs? I'd like to be able to programmatically switch between them, either for comparison or when switching between different devices (speakers and headphones for example). Is this possible programmatically, without restarting HQP with a different settings file? 

Alternatively, it would be great to be able to switch settings files through the APIs, without restarting HQP. Can this be added as a possible feature in a future HQP release?

On 2/20/2018 at 8:45 PM, Bimmer100 said:

Never have heard of an issue like this. Do you have a PC to test the SU-1 and Dac with? bypass the Ultrarendu?  This woudl be my first suggestion.   And when you play DSD256 original recorded native resolution does it hiss? or does this ONLY happen with HQplayer upsampling other files to DSD256 or DSD512?  Have you tried other programs like Jriver to upsample to DSD256 or DSD512 to see if it there is hiss?  Just want to be sure you have tried more than HQplayer for this issue. 

But pondering the thought of other possibilities... if there is some reflection or noise happening between SU1 and URendu. ODD that only DSD is having issues? you're sure your dip switches on the bottom of the SU1 are all off? What HDMI cable are you using and length, firmly seated? btw, i2s/hdmi is not hot swapable and never should be plugged or unplugged when either device it's being plugged into is powered on... ALWAYS power off both devices when plugging in HDMi i2s cables just to be safe.  Are both the SU-1 and URendu plugged into the same circuit/outlet? Do you have any mods done to your SU1, any at all, if so....what mods? Doubt it's a grounding loop issue, but just wondering how your setup is with power cables, or anything inline the usb from UR to SU1. what USB cable and length etc. How much detail on your setup chains and how things are hooked up in general...  could you share a little detail? 

@Bimmer100 I did more testing this evening and here's what I found:

1. URendu -> ISO Regen -> SU-1 -> DAC - Hiss
  2. URendu -> ISO Regen -> DAC - No hiss (Removing SU-1)
  3. PC USB -> SU-1 -> DAC - Hiss (no URendu)
  4. PC USB -> DAC - No hiss (Removing SU-1)

Seems to be pretty obvious that the common factor is the SU-1. Once again, on PCM and DSD128 I'm not hearing the hiss, or maybe it's not very audible.

@Miska since this appears to be a hardware issue, I will no longer post about this issue here on the HQPlayer thread.

Was doing some maintenance on my Mac Mini this afternoon and noticed under HQ Player Preferences; NAA, in addition to my Bryston BDA-3 Dac there was an option to choose a 

ultraRendu - MQA setting. Tried it but got no audio. Anyone notice that option as well?

I presume it’s for Sonicorbitor OS Version 2.6. Any info available.

Thanks.....Mike

On 2/22/2018 at 8:44 AM, Dr Tone said:

I assume the library.xml hangs around as all your settings and your activation key do but you could copy it someplace for safe keeping and do the uninstall reinstall and see.

Thanks. Your assumption is correct. The library.xml file is retained in AppData for HQPlayer after uninstalling.

On 2/26/2018 at 5:34 AM, bibo01 said:

@Miska I always check tags with MP3Tag (latest version).

Although DSF files are tagged correctly, in HQPlayer library Composer tag becomes Artist and Artist tag becomes Performer.  

Yes, that is the correct behavior. Because composer cannot be the performer... ;)

On 2/23/2018 at 2:08 AM, pkane2001 said:

@Miska,  I'm not sure if I'm missing it... Is there a way to set convolution or pipeline settings through the control APIs? I'd like to be able to programmatically switch between them, either for comparison or when switching between different devices (speakers and headphones for example). Is this possible programmatically, without restarting HQP with a different settings file? 

Alternatively, it would be great to be able to switch settings files through the APIs, without restarting HQP. Can this be added as a possible feature in a future HQP release?

No, it is not possible. But loading different setting files is possible, since now library is separated from the settings... (see hqp-control's --configuration-load argument)

8 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

Is it a correct behavior to change the tags in HQP library?!

I don't understand what you mean by "to change the tags"?

FLAC has two specified artist related items, "ARTIST" and "PERFORMER". ID3v2 tags on the other hand have 11 different artist related items, these are indicated by four-character codes, for example performer is "TOPE". HQPlayer maps both FLAC and ID3v2 things into two fields, "artist" and "performer" following the FLAC notation, and does best-effort mapping from the various ID3v2 fields into these two.

The exact mapping logic has been discussed to great lengths several times in the past in this thread.

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

I don't understand what you mean by "to change the tags"?

FLAC has two specified artist related items, "ARTIST" and "PERFORMER". ID3v2 tags on the other hand have 11 different artist related items, these are indicated by four-character codes, for example performer is "TOPE". HQPlayer maps both FLAC and ID3v2 things into two fields, "artist" and "performer" following the FLAC notation, and does best-effort mapping from the various ID3v2 fields into these two.

I give you an example:

In MP3Tag I have correctly

album Artist - Eddie Graham Trio

Composer - Carl Fischer

When I scan the album in HQPlayer library I get:

Artist - Carl Fischer

Performer - Eddie Graham Trio

Check it out