IGNORED

HQ Player

6 hours ago, Hammer said:

Hi, here is the amazon link.  I set it up and can confirm DSD works (via i2s) and so it seems like good value.  But to my ears, it’s much better to have HQPlayer in the chain and so if a Pi NAA can play to it directly (I tried and it does not) that would be awesome!  Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/WINGONEER-WX4000-Multifunction-Expansion-Raspberry/dp/B06XCDGS1B/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1513216305&sr=8-16&keywords=Pi+dac

I found that, but not details on how it is supposed to be configured... I couldn't find manufacturer's documentation.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Running HQPlayer and Roon on main PC ,only used as music server.Also running nuc as a NAA device.My dac requires its own drivers.Do I need to install driver only on NAA  or both ? Thanks

Install drivers on NAA machine.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

9 hours ago, Hammer said:

I also found some postings about this DAC on diyaudio and it looks like the rpi-dac (i2s) driver should be used and 

dtoverlay=simple-bclk-64fs

should be added to /boot/config.txt

not sure if this is helpful...

OK, that overlay is not found on my RPi3 images, but if you can find some image where that stuff is supported (maybe DietPi?) then things should work. Overall, if you find Stretch-based OS with support for that I2S configuration, then networkaudiod should work without much trouble.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

OK, that overlay is not found on my RPi3 images, but if you can find some image where that stuff is supported (maybe DietPi?) then things should work. Overall, if you find Stretch-based OS with support for that I2S configuration, then networkaudiod should work without much trouble.

PCM works in Ropieee and Dietpi.  In Dietpi, I can connect either using RoonBridge or NAA.  The only software where DSD also works is moode.  In Dietpi, the DAC is connect via HDMI and I think DSD only works via i2s.  Ropieee connects via i2s, and DSD64 shows up in Roon in yellow which means while the format is supported, additional configuration is needed before it will work. 

Hope this is helpful - would be great for both PCM and DSD to work in the NAA pi image.  Thanks you!

I just bought a Pro-ject S2 DAC and am setting it up now via USB on a Windows 10 PC.  I have a couple questions.  

I want to upsample everything to DSD, but not exactly sure what settings I need in HQ Player.  I tried using the same settings that I used with my Marantz HD-DAC1, but am only getting 384khz PCM.  If anyone has setup one of these DAC's in Windows 10 with ROON and HQ Player, I sure would appreciate your advice.

In addition, when I bring up HQ Player on my UHD TV, the settings box is very tiny and unreadable.  I can only read it when I reduce the resolution.  Any advice?

Thanks a lot for any help!

On 18.12.2017 at 1:12 PM, Miska said:

You need to use Linux for that. 44.1k x512 is unfortunately an artificial limitation of the ASIO driver.

ASIO driver in general or only the ASIO driver of the iFi Micro iDSD? Otherwise is there any way to get 48k x512 on win?

I‘ve tested 48k x512 on latest Ubuntu. It sounds great but working with it is imo pain in the ass. No well working remote access neither with vnc nor with rdp. I‘m missing some programs like dbpoweramp, foobar, lossless audiochecker e.g. 

10 minutes ago, RamUwe said:

ASIO driver in general or only the ASIO driver of the iFi Micro iDSD? Otherwise is there any way to get 48k x512 on win?

I‘ve tested 48k x512 on latest Ubuntu. It sounds great but working with it is imo pain in the ass. No well working remote access neither with vnc nor with rdp. I‘m missing some programs like dbpoweramp, foobar, lossless audiochecker e.g. 

Just curious, do you have a lot of 48 based music?  I have very few albums at either 48 or 96 or are you converting 44.1 music to 48x512?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

41 minutes ago, RamUwe said:

Thesycon's ASIO driver that is used by most DACs that utilize XMOS USB implementation. Some other drivers have similar limitations on Windows too. Devices using Amanero USB implementation and exaSound don't have such limitations. If you use Linux-based NAA, for example using the bootable images I provide, you can get around that limitation and can keep running HQPlayer on Windows.

But certainly easiest is just let HQPlayer convert to fixed 44.1k x512 output rate regardless of source.

11 hours ago, tboooe said:

Just curious, do you have a lot of 48 based music?  I have very few albums at either 48 or 96 or are you converting 44.1 music to 48x512?

Just converting!

10 hours ago, Miska said:

Thesycon's ASIO driver that is used by most DACs that utilize XMOS USB implementation. Some other drivers have similar limitations on Windows too. Devices using Amanero USB implementation and exaSound don't have such limitations. If you use Linux-based NAA, for example using the bootable images I provide, you can get around that limitation and can keep running HQPlayer on Windows.

But certainly easiest is just let HQPlayer convert to fixed 44.1k x512 output rate regardless of source.

Thanks, Miska, for your reply. Has the T+A DAC 8 DSD a XMOS or an Amanero USB implementation?

@Miska Any insight on the best PCM bit depth setting for the Mirus Pro?  I'm using the ASIO driver so 32bit is an option but not sure if that would the right choice.  From it's specs, I assume it's getting pretty close to 24bits of resolution.  Thoughts?

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

7 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

@Miska Any insight on the best PCM bit depth setting for the Mirus Pro?  I'm using the ASIO driver so 32bit is an option but not sure if that would the right choice.  From it's specs, I assume it's getting pretty close to 24bits of resolution.  Thoughts?

It should be fine with "Default"...

A couple questions on volume control in HQP.

After getting clipping I have the max Vol set at -10 and no clipping - all is good. However it does mean that I have to turn the volume up on my amp (Devialet) higher then when I had the max Vol set at -3. After setting the min and max vol (to -10) controls the vol dial landed about 2:00 - should I move this to the max, which is about 6:00 on the dial? I guess I am asking do I only set the vol min and maxes and leave the dial alone?