IGNORED

HQ Player

5 hours ago, Miska said:

As I said, when TCOM is not specified, TPE1 is mapped to ARTIST. It is mapped to PERFORMER only when used in combination with TCOM. In other cases TPE2/TPE3 is mapped to PERFORMER. This way it works correctly for both classical and popular music.

For popular music songwriters, TEXT, TOLY, TMCL and TIPL would be more appropriate. (and sometimes TOPE, in case of cover versions)

The problem is when TCOM is specified.  It does not matter what I think is the more appropriate tag for "songwriter", the fact is that most programs that automatically populate the tags use TCOM for the "songwriter".  It seems to me that you are overcompensating for the fact that for classical music, folks have made a mess of the tags.

mQa is dead!

@Miska  I have converted my old key to the new format for 3.17.0.  There is a more or less continuous string of information in the xml file that was generated, and I'm not sure where the new key exactly begins and ends.  I don't want to uninstall the previous version until I know the new key with certainty.  Would you please provide some guidance? 

Is there a changelog for version 3.17?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

1 hour ago, auricgoldfinger said:

@Miska  I have converted my old key to the new format for 3.17.0.  There is a more or less continuous string of information in the xml file that was generated, and I'm not sure where the new key exactly begins and ends.  I don't want to uninstall the previous version until I know the new key with certainty.  Would you please provide some guidance? 

You do not have to insert the content of XML file for registration, like the old Windows key.

Just uninstall old version, install 3.17, go to Help/Register and point to your xxxxxxx_key.XML wherever you saved it on your hard disk.

5 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

With apologies for newbieness, how do I convert my older text file registration key to XML?

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

11 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

With apologies for newbieness, how do I convert my older text file registration key to XML?

Ah,  should have followed the "read the manual" principle before posting, and thanks for the web form, Miska. Worked like a charm!

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

6 hours ago, lucretius said:

The problem is when TCOM is specified.  It does not matter what I think is the more appropriate tag for "songwriter", the fact is that most programs that automatically populate the tags use TCOM for the "songwriter".  It seems to me that you are overcompensating for the fact that for classical music, folks have made a mess of the tags.

Well the mess is that TCOM is wrongly used for popular music, but correctly used for classical. I have not seen any problems myself though with the current implementation. As I said earlier, metadata overall is mostly a horrible mess. I have so many tracks from HDtracks for example that have even typos in the metadata, just yesterday I was fixing one Steven Wilson's album that said "Steve Wilson" in the artist field... And same goes for highresaudio.com too. Not to even mention errors in freedb/MusicBrainz/Gracenote.

So just fix your metadata and abolish the TCOM field from popular music and use some more appropriate tag instead.

P.S. And remember that if you are only worried about the library view in HQPlayer, you can edit the data stored by HQPlayer in the Library-dialog - that doesn't touch the files at all.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Well the mess is that TCOM is wrongly used for popular music, but correctly used for classical. I have not seen any problems myself though with the current implementation. As I said earlier, metadata overall is mostly a horrible mess. I have so many tracks from HDtracks for example that have even typos in the metadata, just yesterday I was fixing one Steven Wilson's album that said "Steve Wilson" in the artist field... And same goes for highresaudio.com too. Not to even mention errors in freedb/MusicBrainz/Gracenote.

So just fix your metadata and abolish the TCOM field from popular music and use some more appropriate tag instead.

P.S. And remember that if you are only worried about the library view in HQPlayer, you can edit the data stored by HQPlayer in the Library-dialog - that doesn't touch the files at all.

Thanks, Miska.  I'll take a look at the library view.

mQa is dead!

14 hours ago, Miska said:

Almost, there is one extra bugfix in the final build and the manual was updated regarding key installation instructions...

Hi Miska,

Do we need to convert the key for the other platforms

In my case Ubuntu update does not accept 3.17 

Rgds.

Roon => RME Adi-2 FS dac => Nord Three 1ET400A ST => Focal Aria 936

On 8/18/2017 at 2:46 PM, chips666 said:

Hi Miska,

Rgds.

No, the same key continues to work on Linux and Mac. Conversion is because now Windows also uses the same license management module as Linux and Mac. Previously Windows version used different, licensed third party solution. That's why key conversion was necessary for Windows.

On 8/18/2017 at 0:02 PM, MarcinGD said:

I just updated to 3,17 and I have some distortion sound in the background on bitrate 48k x512. I need to go down to 44.1k x512 to listen to the music. T+A DAC8 DSD.

There has probably been some CPU load increase going to 3.17 and that may be causing it. This is due to a bug fix/improvement in the DSD output volume control. But it introduced some more code -> higher CPU load. Going from 44.1k to 48k x512 is quite a bit heavier to process than 44.1k x512.

I've tested the new version with T+A DAC8 DSD and going to 48k x512, but it is on my big machine (i7-6950X + GTX 1080 offload).

On 18-8-2017 at 1:46 PM, chips666 said:

Hi Miska,

Rgds.

Hi Miska

3.17 does not install on ubuntu platform

Rgds

46 minutes ago, Miska said:

Why? I have several Ubuntu 16.04 LTS based systems and it installs fine. No changes in packaging since 3.16.x...

Hi Miska

On Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS

Download opens softwarecenter page indicating 3.17

But when i push the install button nothing happens and the number changes to 3.16.4-62

A friend has the same problem

Rgds

11 minutes ago, chips666 said:

On Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS

Download opens softwarecenter page indicating 3.17

But when i push the install button nothing happens and the number changes to 3.16.4-62

A friend has the same problem

I don't know about that, just download the package and use "sudo dpkg -i hqplayer_3.17.0-63_amd64.deb". At least you'll get some clear error message if there's a problem. I try to avoid GUIs as much as possible, such usually just hide relevant information (Windows being prime example of hiding all the important details of everything).

15 hours ago, Miska said:

There has probably been some CPU load increase going to 3.17 and that may be causing it. This is due to a bug fix/improvement in the DSD output volume control. But it introduced some more code -> higher CPU load. Going from 44.1k to 48k x512 is quite a bit heavier to process than 44.1k x512.

I've tested the new version with T+A DAC8 DSD and going to 48k x512, but it is on my big machine (i7-6950X + GTX 1080 offload).

Thanks for the info. I'm using 6700k. Could someone report that it works for him on 7700k ?

Hi Miska,

Does the Integrator in the DSDIFF/DSF settings have any effect on PCM --> DSD512 upsampling? 

I notice when I upsample DSF file to DSD512, Three types of integrator IIR, FIR, CIC has quite different working load. Based on my current PC setup, selecting a CIC integrator causes stutter playback. However, the stutter does not happen when I upsample PCM to DSD512, which let me wonder any options in the DSDIFF/DSF setting has no effect on PCM --> DSD process.

Could you please confirm that?

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

1 hour ago, louisxiawei said:

Hi Miska,

Does the Integrator in the DSDIFF/DSF settings have any effect on PCM --> DSD512 upsampling? 

I notice when I upsample DSF file to DSD512, Three types of integrator IIR, FIR, CIC has quite different working load. Based on my current PC setup, selecting a CIC integrator causes stutter playback. However, the stutter does not happen when I upsample PCM to DSD512, which let me wonder any options in the DSDIFF/DSF setting has no effect on PCM --> DSD process.

Could you please confirm that?

As reported by Miska, the integrator options in DSDIFF/DSF setting have effect on DSDxxx->DSDyyy; no effect when PCM->DSD. 

3 hours ago, MarcinGD said:

Thanks for the info. I'm using 6700k. Could someone report that it works for him on 7700k ?

Depending on your 6700k overclock 7700k will have minimal if any improvement. Your best bet is to either get a CPU with more cores or use CUDA if you have a Nvidia GPU.

4 hours ago, Yviena said:

Depending on your 6700k overclock 7700k will have minimal if any improvement. Your best bet is to either get a CPU with more cores or use CUDA if you have a Nvidia GPU.

Good idea. I forgot I can overclock 6700k to 7700k clock just for test if it will be enough.

14 hours ago, bibo01 said:

As reported by Miska, the integrator options in DSDIFF/DSF setting have effect on DSDxxx->DSDyyy; no effect when PCM->DSD. 

Yes, in general, as the name says DSDIFF/DSF Settings only affect DSD sources. Only exception being "Direct SDM" which has effect that volume control is locked when doing PCM -> DSD for safety reasons. Because otherwise there could be huge volume difference between PCM and DSD sources...