IGNORED

HQ Player

12 hours ago, scan80269 said:

As far as I can tell it is the same crash with CU & AU plus their respective KB patches.

While my PC had KB4016871 installed for Win10 CU, I uninstalled and re-installed HQPlayer, but it still crashed at launch.  HQPlayer ran again only after I uninstalled KB4016871.  Summary:

* Win10 CU (Version 1703) without KB4016871 - HQPlayer works

* Win10 CU (Version 1703) with KB4016871 - HQPlayer crashes

* Win10 AU (Version 1607) without KB4019472 - HQPlayer works

* Win10 AU (Version 1607) with KB4019472 - HQPlayer crashes

I thought I had all the latest updates (yes, I have Win10CU) and my HQPlayer works.  I'll have to check later.  In any case, I did notice that when the last update was installed, I did initially have a problem -- I think the MS sound driver replaced the DAC's specific driver. I reinstalled the DAC's driver and all seems to be fine.   

mQa is dead!

5 minutes ago, lucretius said:

I thought I had all the latest updates (yes, I have Win10CU) and my HQPlayer works.  I'll have to check later.  In any case, I did notice that when the last update was installed, I did initially have a problem -- I think the MS sound driver replaced the DAC's specific driver. I reinstalled the DAC's driver and all seems to be fine.   

So perhaps the MS sound driver may be problematic.  (Quelle surprise!)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

23 minutes ago, lucretius said:

The updates only came out yesterday at noon so you probably don't have them yet, a reboot is required.

It's unrelated to audio drivers, I use an NAA.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

14 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

The only other slight problem I have is that at DSD512 with convolution, my I7 4-core Macbook is using about 40-50% of all the cores consistently, which results in some noisy little fans interfering with the music.

NAA.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

....figuring out a way to minimize the length of the USB cord.

Which USB cord are you referring to?  If you use an NAA you can put it right next to your DAC so the USB cord can be minimized.  You will of course need a way to connect the MAC to the network but maybe wireless will work?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

11 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Which USB cord are you referring to?  If you use an NAA you can put it right next to your DAC so the USB cord can be minimized.  You will of course need a way to connect the MAC to the network but maybe wireless will work?

The reference to USB was in regards to the other solution, namely, encasing my laptop in a sound-proof closet while keeping it connected to the DAC via USB :)

NAA is great but requires another computer device. What would you recommend as a good NAA device capable of handling DSD512? Wireless is not the best, as I've already found out playing DSD256, but I can do wired if necessary.

4 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

The reference to USB was in regards to the other solution, namely, encasing my laptop in a sound-proof closet while keeping it connected to the DAC via USB :)

NAA is great but requires another computer device. What would you recommend as a good NAA device capable of handling DSD512? Wireless is not the best, as I've already found out playing DSD256, but I can do wired if necessary.

The CuBox-i can cost you less than $100 with discount, and Miska makes an NAA image for it.  But that image is Linux, so it depends what DAC you have.  Mine will do DSD512 with Linux, but some won't.

Edit: I'm not certain whether the CuBox-i will run Win10.  Anyone?

19 minutes ago, Jud said:

The CuBox-i can cost you less than $100 with discount, and Miska makes an NAA image for it.  But that image is Linux, so it depends what DAC you have.  Mine will do DSD512 with Linux, but some won't.

Edit: I'm not certain whether the CuBox-i will run Win10.  Anyone?

I'll have SU-1 DDC connected to the NAA. Not sure if SU-1 has Linux drivers, but I'll check.

11 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I'll have SU-1 DDC connected to the NAA. Not sure if SU-1 has Linux drivers, but I'll check.

See for example https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxersu1black/ -

NEW 2017 firmware (2.22 and 2.20) for DSD512 native is for customers only and by email request only. This will support the newest OS for Sonore Urendu @ full dsd512 native!

So it's out, perhaps from a source available to you.

When MS posts this about KB4019472

• Addressed issue that causes a device to crash every time a user logs off from a remote session using a Virtual Desktop Agent (VDA). 

And especially this:

• “Addressed issue where the PC Settings pages do not display the correct options after the installation of KB3213986 and a language pack. 

you have to wonder if they are sure of what they are doing!!

Hello,

Windows 10 Pro (x64) with KB4019472 installed: Please install the 32 bit version of HQPlayer 3.16.1 and you may have no trouble.

This solves also the problem on Windows 10 Build 16188 (latest Insider build).

Best regards

Wolft

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

So, what is the downside with installing the 32 bit version, instead of the 64 bit?  I would think huge, no?  Jussi?

Biggest ones:

- It doesn't have CUDA support

- It doesn't have some of the optimizations because the memory address space is so tiny and it is built for compatibility and thus cannot use newer instructions in some speed critical places

But overall, apart from CUDA, the functionality is the same.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

11 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

The updates only came out yesterday at noon so you probably don't have them yet, a reboot is required.

It's unrelated to audio drivers, I use an NAA.

I got the update (KB4016871)  yesterday but apparently I hadn't rebooted the computer.  So when I booted up tonight, HQPlayer crashed like you said.

In any case, Miska has posted a fix on his website -- HQPlayer 3.16.3.  It works with KB4016871.

mQa is dead!

5 hours ago, lucretius said:

Miska has posted a fix on his website -- HQPlayer 3.16.3.  It works with KB4016871.

Thank you. I can confirm the new version works with KB4019472 as well.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

On 3/21/2017 at 4:50 PM, tboooe said:

Agreed.  I was wondering the same thing.

Ok I have been very busy in my life and did not head it off. I woke up this morning , my pc was updated overnight and now I can't even launch HQP.  It seems to me (after reading these pages) that my options are

Change my 64 bit Hqp to 32

Get rid of kb4016841 (what is this anyway...a driver?)

change HQP to version 3.16.x

What is my best option?

1 minute ago, Theobetley said:

Ok I have been very busy in my life and did not head it off. I woke up this morning , my pc was updated overnight and now I can't even launch HQP.  It seems to me (after reading these pages) that my options are

Change my 64 bit Hqp to 32

Get rid of kb4016841 (what is this anyway...a driver?)

change HQP to version 3.16.x

What is my best option?

Change to HQP 3.16.3.

If you have an NAA based on Win10, you might have to do something on that system too.