IGNORED

HQ Player

9 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

This just in:

Latest update from Microsoft for Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1703 a.k.a. RS2) breaks HQPlayer!

Specifically, after installing KB4016871 "2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems" from Windows Update for Win10 RS2, HQPlayer will crash immediately when launched.  The crash is 100% repeatable.

I'm afraid this is very bad news for those of us using HQPlayer with latest Win10 RS2.  Since there is no simple way to hold off a specific KB patch from being installed from Windows Update, it may be necessary to manually disable the Windows Update service to prevent this KB from rolling in and wrecking HQPlayer.

App crash log as seen in Event Viewer:

Event ID: 1000

Faulting application name: HQPlayer-desktop.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58e95449
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000005bfb86e
Faulting process id: 0x170c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2c914fe141655
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer Desktop 3\HQPlayer-desktop.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 5c511e83-b184-4dec-89f4-e1e991b8ee33
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

26 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

I can confirm, don't install KB4016871.

I just installed this update 30 minutes before I read this!  Is there any way to back it off other than system restore?

Miska, is this something you can fix in HQPlayer, or is it a bad Microsoft update?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

I just installed this update 30 minutes before I read this!  Is there any way to back it off other than system restore?

Miska, is this something you can fix in HQPlayer, or is it a bad Microsoft update?

KB4016871 can be manually uninstalled.  No need to mess with System Restore.

A better question is how to keep this KB from automatically rolling into the system again via Windows Update.

5 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

A better question is how to keep this KB from automatically rolling into the system again via Windows Update.

I  am new to Windows 10 (Home Edition). Definitely don't want to break HQP. How does one manually uninstall KB4016871 update?

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

1 minute ago, LoryWiv said:

I  am new to Windows 10 (Home Edition). Definitely don't want to break HQP. How does one manually uninstall an update?

1. Open the "Windows Settings" page (Start button > Settings icon)

2. Navigate to "Update & security" page

3. Click on "Update history"

4. Click on "Uninstall updates"

5. Locate KB4016871 from the list of installed updates, right-click it and select "Uninstall"

9 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot you can use Settings/Control Panel to uninstall an individual update.  Thanks.  

Since this shows up as a security update, I don't think you can defer it like feature upgrades.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

Microsoft hasn't yet let any of my computers update to Creators Update and they are strongly recommending not to force-install it due to known issues. So I've been keeping off waiting it to arrive without forcing, since I have quite a bit of extra trouble if my development machines stop working altogether...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

Microsoft hasn't yet let any of my computers update to Creators Update and they are strongly recommending not to force-install it due to known issues. So I've been keeping off waiting it to arrive without forcing, since I have quite a bit of extra trouble if my development machines stop working altogether...

Well, if you're lucky it could be months before you get CU.  Just not so lucky for people who are running it!  

What a great day.  Gordon Rankin just put out an advisory about problems with MacOS 10.12.4 on some USB DACs.

21 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

I have two USB devices I can drive from USB output: an XMOS-based one and an Amanero. Neither one has a dedicated Mac driver, meanwhile both support DSD512 natively when using their provided PC driver.

All this discussion of DSD512 got me thinking... always a dangerous thing.

So I installed Windows 10 on the Macbook pro (via bootcamp). Set up ASIO driver for the Amanero board, and voila! I no longer need DoP -- native SDM all the way, DSD 44.1x512 shown by HQP  and a nice D512 sign displayed on the Amanero DDC.

My DAC is playing music, but is obviously confused by the I2S signal (maybe the cable is miswired a bit), as the display shows DSD 384Mhz -- not quite sure what that means, but the sound is excellent!

The only other slight problem I have is that at DSD512 with convolution, my I7 4-core Macbook is using about 40-50% of all the cores consistently, which results in some noisy little fans interfering with the music.

16 minutes ago, rickca said:

Well, if you're lucky it could be months before you get CU.  Just not so lucky for people who are running it!  

What a great day.  Gordon Rankin just put out an advisory about problems with MacOS 10.12.4 on some USB DACs.

If your PC is already running Win10 CU (Version 1703), you can manually roll it back to Win10 AU (Version 1607) or whichever version of Win10 the PC ran before the update.

What I haven't figured out is how to hold off the upgrade to CU on an indefinite basis.  Microsoft has effectively eliminated this option.

29 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

If your PC is already running Win10 CU (Version 1703), you can manually roll it back to Win10 AU (Version 1607) or whichever version of Win10 the PC ran before the update.

What I haven't figured out is how to hold off the upgrade to CU on an indefinite basis.  Microsoft has effectively eliminated this option.

Temporarily disable the windows update service.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

40 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

The curious thing is that in CU, there is a capability under Settings ==> Update & Security ==> Windows Update ==> Advanced options to pause updates for up to 35 days.  Was this there in AU?  I can't remember.

I know I can roll back to AU but that option has disappeared on me.  I think windows.old is deleted after some number of days.  I've done a lot of work customizing CU already so I'd like to stick with it.  I think I'll just create another partition for AU.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Well, guess what...

KB4019472 also released today for Windows 10 AU (Version 1607) also triggers the same HQPlayer crash!

I just rolled my HQPlayer PC from Win10 CU (Version 1703) back to Win10 AU (Version 1607), confirmed that HQPlayer still runs, then installed KB4019472 from Windows Update, and now HQPlayer is wrecked again!

Thank you, Microsoft!  >:(

4 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

HQPlayer is wrecked again!

Hilarious!  Hopefully the same code crashes HQPlayer in both AU and CU.  Then Miska can just fix it once.

10 minutes ago, rickca said:

Hilarious!  Hopefully the same code crashes HQPlayer in both AU and CU.  Then Miska can just fix it once.

As far as I can tell it is the same crash with CU & AU plus their respective KB patches.

While my PC had KB4016871 installed for Win10 CU, I uninstalled and re-installed HQPlayer, but it still crashed at launch.  HQPlayer ran again only after I uninstalled KB4016871.  Summary:

* Win10 CU (Version 1703) without KB4016871 - HQPlayer works

* Win10 CU (Version 1703) with KB4016871 - HQPlayer crashes

* Win10 AU (Version 1607) without KB4019472 - HQPlayer works

* Win10 AU (Version 1607) with KB4019472 - HQPlayer crashes

26 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

Well, guess what...

KB4019472 also released today for Windows 10 AU (Version 1607) also triggers the same HQPlayer crash!

I just rolled my HQPlayer PC from Win10 CU (Version 1703) back to Win10 AU (Version 1607), confirmed that HQPlayer still runs, then installed KB4019472 from Windows Update, and now HQPlayer is wrecked again!

Thank you, Microsoft!  >:(

That's good news in a way, now @Miska will have something to work with.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Gents,

solved my problem with DSD, I was selecting 44.1 x 256 or above and needed to stay lower (x 128) this way the DA-06 sees correctly the DSD stream. My confusion came from the fact that I didn't understand that if you use DoP you don't have to use MHz for DSD but the "equivalent" of PCM rates.

Thank you all, you've been very helpful!

4 hours ago, scan80269 said:

I have used the "Pause Updates" option of Win10 to hold off KB4016871 from being installed into my HQPlayer PC, but it's only good for 7 days, after which I'll have to disable the Windows Update service.

There are several ways to stop automatic updates described here. I use the GPedit one so I get approve the process.

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

11 hours ago, Miska said:

I think you must do your job and patching the HQPlayer Desktop 3 (3.16.1). MS doesn't say not to force updating to the creators update. MS offers an app ('Windows10Upgrade.exe') so you can update to Windows 15.063.xxx, if windows 10 update doesn't offer the creators update. please stop bashing MS, it's not an MS problem it's an HQPlayer problem. It's not a good sign that your developer maschine's didn't run the latest windows 10 builds. So hurry up.

Best regards

wolft

(sry for my bad school english, it's 50 years ago I learned in school)

24 minutes ago, wolft said:

I think you must do your job and patching the HQPlayer Desktop 3 (3.16.1). MS doesn't say not to force updating to the creators update. MS offers an app ('Windows10Upgrade.exe') so you can update to Windows 15.063.xxx, if windows 10 update doesn't offer the creators update. please stop bashing MS, it's not an MS problem it's an HQPlayer problem. It's not a good sign that your developer maschine's didn't run the latest windows 10 builds. So hurry up.

Best regards

wolft

(sry for my bad school english, it's 50 years ago I learned in school)

I think you must chill out.  And maybe go back 50 years and learn some manners.  MS sux, and breaks all kinds of programs not just HQP.  Not much computer experience, it seems.

All I know is the latest security update for 1607 and 1703 break HQPlayer and it needs to be addressed by Miska or Microsoft.  If Microsoft broke something fundamental they won't know what they have done unless someone (Miska) can point them in right direction.  Fortunately they are far more receptive to being pointed in the right direction than Apple.

Not applying security updates isn't an option for people that use their computers.