Hello! My first post after reading much in this extremely helpful and friendly community.

Im on vacation in Japan and picked up a DAC I have not seen much reviews of; seems like it's sold in the Japanese market only. It's an Audio Technica AT-HA70USB. Its got USB and optical in and does 24bit/96kHz. My first time with an external DAC, so have some questions for you peeps:

1. Anyone familiar with this product? How does it compare to the Audioengine or HRT products that are at a similar price point (~ $180)?

2. Planning to use this on my HTPC setup to listen to music and movies - Mac Mini 2011 > AT HA70USB > Marantz SR48 MK II (50 wpc) > JBL LX500. Not great, I know. But any thoughts on this setup? My thinking is the receiver is the weakest link. Any suggestions on what would need an upgrade first?

Thanks!

Hi disector89, welcome to Computer Audiophile.

Unfortunately, I'm totally unaware of the AT-HA70USB. Nice looking package with headphone out and line out. Also apparently has a microphone for VOIP applications (?).

However, just looking at the picture, I don't think it supports optical in... I only see optical out. Also not seeing anything about the USB interface and whether it is asynchronous or supports any approach to jitter reduction. For this reason I think it might be a bit of a gamble.

The Dragonfly v 1.2 is in your price range, so I would add that to your list to consider. It does have hardware volume control operated via USB and a reasonable headphone amp. Have not heard the HRT or Audioengine, so can't say anything there....

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

You're right; it's an optical out, not in. Curious about the asynchronous USB thing myself. Any way to tell without a manual/spec sheet? The manual is in Japanese only.

I think what I'd do is to contact Audio Technica in the US and ask them. Not guaranteed to work, but worth trying.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.