IGNORED

PC streaming airplay to AEX (square) stutter

Having a lot of trouble with the new AEX. I get split second drop outs every minute or so using both optical or analog out. I have tried every setting on both my extreme and express, manual channels, 2.4ghz vs 5 only, and still have the split second stutter about every minute. Any solution?

setup:

pc running latest itunes

apple extreme router (latest)

apple express router (latest) acting as an extender

optical out to NAD d3020 OR analog out to powered speaker

condition: split second "stutter" on both

Can you try (at least temporarily) running a network cable.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I had a similar problem with an Airport Extreme when I tried to use 2 stages of wireless connection: computer > Airport Extreme > other device (ATV in my case). The solution, as noted by Audio_ELF is to replace at least 1 link by wired ethernet. I moved the Airport Extreme closer to the computer so I could use a wired internet connection. Solved all my problems; dropouts hiccups etc.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Thanks for the comments, but I think I need to explain my setup more clearly...

I only have one wireless connection, between the extreme and the express (the extreme is wired using a good quality Ethernet cable). Secondly, there is no additional extender, I am using the express in extender mode to extend the wireless network created by the extreme.

I don't think it is the network, I turned off every source of wireless interference in the house trying to test this, and the stutter is still there.

My current theory is that my source pc is doing too much. I opened a network traffic monitor, and there is tons of constant traffic. I shut off anti virus and firewall though, and other non essential applications to test, and it didn't help.

The distance between the routers is only about 10' (through a floor), but I have also tested it 5 feet away in same room, no help.

My next test will be to wire the 2 routers together (to try to rule our the network further), but that kind of defeats the purpose of the express.

Frustrated!

Try checking for outside channel congestion with a program like this: inSSIDer – Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek

I had interference also when I had a wireless setup. Checking the channels it seemed my neighbors were all using the same channel. I changed the channel and I was good up to 24-96. 192 still dropped every now and then. I had a cable run down to the system location and now no stuttering.

Wireless is convenient but wired rules.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

My next test will be to wire the 2 routers together (to try to rule our the network further), but that kind of defeats the purpose of the express.

Frustrated!

Well at least you'll be able to know for sure if your wireless is the issue, as you'll be doing as Audio_ELF suggested you should try in the first place. BTW, you'll not be losing all of the Airport Express's purposes, as your setup still requires it for AirPlay streaming from iTunes, regardless of it being connected to the network by wire or by WiFi!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Well at least you'll be able to know for sure if your wireless is the issue, as you'll be doing as Audio_ELF suggested you should try in the first place. BTW, you'll not be losing all of the Airport Express's purposes, as your setup still requires it for AirPlay streaming from iTunes, regardless of it being connected to the network by wire or by WiFi!

Even when using the routers wired together, I still get intermittent stutters... The frequency seems to be the same, roughly once a minute... I tried timing it and it is not exactly every minute, but around that timeframe. Does this rule out the network as the issue? I am now going to try to wire my express directly to the computer to see if it is the extreme dropping packets.

I have not read all the replies yet, but every 60 seconds or so? Sounds like the PC is running out of juice, either buffering the network transmissions or running iTunes. Are you up sampling with iTunes by any chance? If so, you might try turning that off.

Airplay only transmits at 16/44.1, so if you are up sampling, the output is being down sampled again before it is transmitted.

I do not think it is your wireless network, as Airplay streaming is not a strain on Airport devices. I think the problem is on the source computer.

-Paul

P.S. After reading the other comments, especially how you get the same problem when the two units are wired together, I am even more certain of that. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I think you are right that it is my PC, I tried streaming from my Ipad and iphone using home sharing feature within the Music app, and there is no issue, but when I play the same using the "remote app", or from itunes itself, the stutter is continuously repeatable.

Any thoughts on how to test what might be causing the streaming quality to be poorer through my pc directly, rather than through my iphone or ipad through home sharing?

The computer is certainly up to the task. I am running windows 7 64 up to date, 4GB of quality ram, and running a tricore AMD 2.4ghz processor. Is there a set of optimal settings on the ethernet controller that I should try? I turned off flow control, energy star, and interrupt moderation to test, but no change, stutter is still there.

I think you are right that it is my PC, I tried streaming from my Ipad and iphone using home sharing feature within the Music app, and there is no issue, but when I play the same using the "remote app", or from itunes itself, the stutter is continuously repeatable.

Any thoughts on how to test what might be causing the streaming quality to be poorer through my pc directly, rather than through my iphone or ipad through home sharing?

The computer is certainly up to the task. I am running windows 7 64 up to date, 4GB of quality ram, and running a tricore AMD 2.4ghz processor. Is there a set of optimal settings on the ethernet controller that I should try? I turned off flow control, energy star, and interrupt moderation to test, but no change, stutter is still there.

Do you have Anti Virus software installed? If so, try disabling it and see if the playback issue disappears. This is often a cause, and a music server really should not need AV software running on it. Obviously a different story if you have other software running on it or use it for other purposes. The only AV software I have found that does not cause audio problems for me is Microsoft Security Essentials, which is also a free product.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Wow - good troubleshooting. :) I don't have any other really good ideas, save for some kind of driver conflict. (Can you change out the Ethernet card?)

I do think when you find the culprit it will be something simple but deucedly difficult to find. And it will be on the PC somewhere.

-Paul

I have tried that already, and it didn't help. I am using MSE as well.

Robert A. Heinlein

the ethernet card is part of my motherboard (Marvel Yukon 88E8056), and I don't have another kicking around. I think I am going to get one to test though, as if that is it, the fix is pretty simple.

Here's another idea- try using the DPC Latency Checker program available as a free download. I had some problems with stuttering audio that I narrowed down to (of all things) a networked printer that was causing huge latency spikes when it would send periodic multicast status messages. The main page I linked to has a good explanation on how to get started. It might not turn out to be anything, but it could be another step towards verifying your source PC at least is set up properly to handle realtime audio streams.

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

Here's another idea- try using the DPC Latency Checker program available as a free download. I had some problems with stuttering audio that I narrowed down to (of all things) a networked printer that was causing huge latency spikes when it would send periodic multicast status messages. The main page I linked to has a good explanation on how to get started. It might not turn out to be anything, but it could be another step towards verifying your source PC at least is set up properly to handle realtime audio streams.

Thanks so much for this idea! It didn't turn anything up, but it is the kind of thing I think I am going to need to use to find the issue. I have also been digging into event logs and network traffic logs, and nothing seems amiss :-(

Any useless services that you folks typically disable in windows 7? I know some of these systems can cause odd behavior, and if they are not needed, I am going to start turning off services to see if that makes a difference.

Did you do the test to just connect the PC by wire to the Airport Express to eliminate any other devices causing issues on the network? It would isolate your setup from problems such as the one outlined by thrand1 and make it more likely to be a problem with the PC if the stutters are still there.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Did you try just connecting the PC by wire to the Airport Express to eliminate any other devices causing issues on the network? It would isolate your setup from problems such as the one outlined by thrand1.

I did, there were still stutters when I connected the express wired to the computer through ethernet. I believe I have ruled out the express itself though, as when I use my iphone or ipad as the source (through the music app, using home sharing), there is no stutter at all. The stutter manifests when initiating airplay directly from the PC, or when using the remote app to do the same from my idevice.

I actually have all but my computer speaker output (analog) and my USB DAC disabled in sound properties, the MIDI controller is disabled (or at least, I don't see it on the list). Nothing in iTunes looks out of place.

I am wondering if this is potentially hardware issue with my motherboard ethernet controller.

I am becoming resigned to just give up on the PC and build a beaglebone black linux server. Cheap, and should solve the issue.