IGNORED

TEST INVITE: 24-bit vs. 16-bit Audio - Can you tell the difference?

Just wanted to invite everyone who might not have seen the 24-bit vs. 16-bit audio test I have on the blog post.

3 musical pieces, 2 samples - either 24-bit or dithered down to 16-bit. Have a listen. Can you tell the difference? Think about how easy/hard it was to differentiate... Then complete my survey :-)

I know many here have mad audio technical skillz. Please try to listen 1st before running file through the audio editor!

Collecting data until June then I'll publish a summary analysis.

Archimago's Musings: INTERNET TEST: 24-bit vs. 16-bit Audio - Can you hear the difference?

All the best,

Archimago

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Jon P did the same here not so long back with an excerpt recorded at 16/44.1. 24/44.1 and 24/48

Only 2 members bothered to respond. It also helps if the recording was from a high quality original digital source,

not from something originally recorded on tape where the noise floor of the tape is in evidence.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Just wanted to invite everyone who might not have seen the 24-bit vs. 16-bit audio test I have on the blog post.

3 musical pieces, 2 samples - either 24-bit or dithered down to 16-bit. Have a listen. Can you tell the difference? Think about how easy/hard it was to differentiate... Then complete my survey :-)

Out of curiosity, what dither did you use for 24-to-16 bit downconversion?..

I did my own test last year. I have a 24/192 Norah Jones and used dBPoweramp to convert to 16/44. I used the Foobar comparator. I made a couple of mistakes at first but was able to lock onto the sound of hi-rez and got it right 8-10 consecutive times, at which point I figured that was highly statistically significant (plus, I was pretty confident that I could keep on identifying which was which). For me, the jump is from 16 bit to 24 bit. Comparing 24/44 to 24/192, I'm pretty hard-pressed to distinguish the difference. But if others claim they can, I'm completely comfortable with such claims.

It is a subtle difference (as evidenced by my initial mistakes) but I find hi-rez to be worth it. Hi-rez files have a more relaxed and musical presentation. I put hi-rez files as a third-tier difference maker (speakers/amps first, source component second, cabling/format/et al. third).

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I did my own test last year. I have a 24/192 Norah Jones and used dBPoweramp to convert to 16/44. I used the Foobar comparator. I made a couple of mistakes at first but was able to lock onto the sound of hi-rez and got it right 8-10 consecutive times, at which point I figured that was highly statistically significant (plus, I was pretty confident that I could keep on identifying which was which). For me, the jump is from 16 bit to 24 bit. Comparing 24/44 to 24/192, I'm pretty hard-pressed to distinguish the difference. But if others claim they can, I'm completely comfortable with such claims.

It is a subtle difference (as evidenced by my initial mistakes) but I find hi-rez to be worth it. Hi-rez files have a more relaxed and musical presentation. I put hi-rez files as a third-tier difference maker (speakers/amps first, source component second, cabling/format/et al. third).

A penny for your thoughts .. what do you think of up-sampled 16/44.1? Say Redbook to 24/88.2 or 24/176.4. Have you tested in the same manner and if so, did/do you like?

FWIW, my DAC does quite a nice job with 16/44.1 and I hear no improvement up-sampling. When I have down-sampled to 16/44.1 I also easily hear the difference, although I did no DB testing.

Sorry for being somewhat off topic.

A penny for your thoughts .. what do you think of up-sampled 16/44.1? Say Redbook to 24/88.2 or 24/176.4. Have you tested in the same manner and if so, did/do you like?

FWIW, my DAC does quite a nice job with 16/44.1 and I hear no improvement up-sampling. When I have down-sampled to 16/44.1 I also easily hear the difference, although I did no DB testing.

Sorry, I've never tried that.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Nice test. :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the survey responses so far! It's about 1/2 way into the test period so keep the responses coming. I've got about 100 results so far. The more the merrier :-)

If you have gear capable of hi-res playback, please give this a try and let me know what you hear!

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I know many here have mad audio technical skillz. Please try to listen 1st before running file through the audio editor!

Collecting data until June then I'll publish a summary analysis.

Archimago's Musings: INTERNET TEST: 24-bit vs. 16-bit Audio - Can you hear the difference?

All the best,

Archimago

24-bit (and 32-bit too) gives more headroom on both ends of the chain. So yeah, you can hear it as expanded dynamic range if nothing else.

George