IGNORED

M2Tech Young MK2 DSD DAC (Blown Away!)

Hi Guys,

Just to share with you that, i've since purchased M2Tech's New Version of its Young DAC.

Compared to the older young, the instrument decay is more organic, tauter bass - more detail overall and somewhat

more mature sound, i used the palmer power supply from my previous setup - and the new young does not disappoint!

Its still burning in at the moment and i anticipate more improvement after the 48 hour mark!

Overall, quite pleased since i've changed two DACS, and as a former Mytek User (Great DAC but too much digital artifacts) The Young is more musical.

I am looking to hear from other owners on how i can improve my setup.. I am currently using Amarra, but will go the Media Player route soon!

Have a nice day.

Hi Matt,

Yes i did - the palmer was indeed superior, pin drop background - better decay of natural instruments.

I am told there is a new upgraded PSU planned which cost more than the Palmer - i think i will be just happy with the lithium supply.

The unit is burning in nicely, the only downside is it looks less sexy than the outgoing young - but sound wise so much better.

Hi thegoodarcher

I also own the new Young DSD. I use it with a BOTWS 15V PSU. My experience is much like Yours with the Palmer PSU. I have also owned the M2Tech Young MK1/Palmer PSU combination. IMO the new M2Tech Young DSD/BOTWS 15V PSU is in another league and a BIG steup in performance. It has a more robust and organic nature. Warm and yet very detailed presentation. Love it to bits and it is just getting better and better as its burning in. I´m also blown away btw :-)

Chario Aviator Cielo | Norma Audio Revo IPA-70B | Merason frérot + Merason pow1
Volumio Rivo 
+ iFi iPower Elite | Skinbjerg Audio Interconnects + Speaker Cables
Supra Excalibur USB 
| MeiCord Opal + iFi LAN iSilencer | Power Cables 3x1.5 mm²
Ansuz Mainz8 X 
| SD-Feet | Herbie’s Threaded Stud Gliders | Norstone Stabbl AV

Glad you're enjoying your new DAC; hopefully it serves you well and you never need to rely on support from M2Tech.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

Glad you're enjoying your new DAC; hopefully it serves you well and you never need to rely on support from M2Tech.

I think the new Young DSD will do just that as it doesn´t need any drivers for macs. I´m using Mavericks as we speak and it is plug and play. It sounds and plays flawlessly.

That said. I also think it´s way to bad that M2Tech haven´t solved their driver issue on Mavericks, before they start releasing new products. M2Tech has a problem they need to address and have failed as we speak. I agree. It´s not acceptable.

But it doesn´t change the fact that M2Tech has done at great job on the new Young DSD. It is a great piece of kit indeed.

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, M2tech released a beta driver for maverick it works flawlessly with my 2009 IMAC with my Evo (i use AES for PCM)..i think the company is back on track with lots of innovation and mouthwatering products..

20qxfew.jpg

The new m2tech "Mercury" dac DSD - coming in 2 months (more expensive)...

I saw the new power supply for the new young mk2 - The "Van de Graaf" oh so juicy! gives me a feeling the palmer is no where near, i heard it at the munich high end show..

rviq9i.jpg

The Marley Headphone Amp / Young DSD MK2 / and Van De Graaf (bottom)..they also released a new perspex rack to house this stack called the "Woodstock" i want!.

Why Music?

Chris has offered for me to review the new Young DSD Dac here, so it arrives soon. As a former Young DAC (early beta) owner I look forward to it. Was hoping to use my Hynes SR3/12 to power it but see it is 15V. Will noodle on that (most stock external ps's from mfg'ers are woefully unmusical; I realize M2Tech, like others, has a nice optional upgraded one, too).

• 2 weeks later...

Looking very much to the M2Tech Van De Graff PSU.

Using the BOTW 15V PSU right now. And it´s an upgrade comparing to the standard switch-mode. You really need a good PSU to hear what wonderful sounds the Young DSD can do. I have no doubts that the Van De Graff is going to raise the performance of the Young DSD to an even higher level than the BOTW!

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

The dealer tells me the van de graft will ship in about a month's time - stepped power on and off, able to supply to 3-4 units simultaneously and what an elaborate design it looks like - my only worry is the price..but i am going to go for it..since i am eyeing the marley as well..

Why Music?

Chris has offered for me to review the new Young DSD Dac here, so it arrives soon. As a former Young DAC (early beta) owner I look forward to it. Was hoping to use my Hynes SR3/12 to power it but see it is 15V. Will noodle on that (most stock external ps's from mfg'ers are woefully unmusical; I realize M2Tech, like others, has a nice optional upgraded one, too).

Great Ted. Shall be interesting to read what You think of Young DSD? - As stormbringer suggested: Could be nice if You can get the Van De Graaf to :-)

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

The dealer tells me the van de graft will ship in about a month's time - stepped power on and off, able to supply to 3-4 units simultaneously and what an elaborate design it looks like - my only worry is the price..but i am going to go for it..since i am eyeing the marley as well..

Hi stormbringer

According to this link the Van De Graaf Should be priced around €700 (Europe)

High End 14 pt.2 | The Ear

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

IMO, the clock-in feature of the Evo has an identity problem. The Evo seemed intended to be a digital audio Swiss Army knife with only a hum drum original clock, PS and such. I have not used their clock, but the ones I have used changed the character quite a bit from the original.

Yes i have - quite the bang for the buck.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I did - i found the Young, superior in every way - but the catch is using it with the palmer/van de graaf pushes it up to the same price of the Hugo - which in my opinion can be better priced, but for that kind of money; the performance of the young-palmer is better welcomed, the young is not a mobile dac its a high-end on shelf unit with truly balanced output, the hugo on the flip side has bluetooth and headphone out but is single ended only - so it really depends on what you are looking for, chances are if you have a decent rig - you are better off with the young, if you rather play stuff through your iPhone and need some mobility maybe the hugo if you are willing to spend that kind of money on a dac without a balanced output, though the headphone output on the hugo is very good - can't really say the same for its bluetooth capability.

The Hugo has better publicity courtesy of their advertising budget and henceforth the benign disposition of magazines/sites ; the makers of the young are poor with their english, and a little slow with marketing - but it pulsates the italian soul and is robustly built, i am also leaning towards purchasing their Marley Headphone amplifier, which i found probably the last headphone amp one may ever need.

Why Music?

I did - i found the Young, superior in every way - but the catch is using it with the palmer/van de graaf pushes it up to the same price of the Hugo - which in my opinion can be better priced, but for that kind of money; the performance of the young-palmer is better welcomed, the young is not a mobile dac its a high-end on shelf unit with truly balanced output, the hugo on the flip side has bluetooth and headphone out but is single ended only - so it really depends on what you are looking for, chances are if you have a decent rig - you are better off with the young, if you rather play stuff through your iPhone and need some mobility maybe the hugo if you are willing to spend that kind of money on a dac without a balanced output, though the headphone output on the hugo is very good - can't really say the same for its bluetooth capability.

The Hugo has better publicity courtesy of their advertising budget and henceforth the benign disposition of magazines/sites ; the makers of the young are poor with their english, and a little slow with marketing - but it pulsates the italian soul and is robustly built, i am also leaning towards purchasing their Marley Headphone amplifier, which i found probably the last headphone amp one may ever need.

I love Italian soul (owned an Alpha Romeo years ago) but they can be a bit quirky.

Basically - I'm looking for the best sound.

I never listen to MP3 and don't own an iPhone or any other portable music player for that matter so portability is of little or no interest.

A good HP output would be welcomed but not necessary.

Not crazy about having to use the Young's balanced > RCA adapter or a balanced to RCA or DIN cable (I own Naim)

Anybody compare this to the Hugo yet? They both use FPGA.

That is a false equivalence. The Young uses an off-the-shelf PCM1795 chip for D-A and only uses an FPGA for filtering (something done by several DAC mfg'ers) . The Hugo uses a much more powerful FPGA design to do everything, including D-to-A (which is unheard of in this price category).

I got the demo Young DSD here this week and will get it in the system. I look very much forward to it. It's earlier (Younger....er older? :) ) PCM version had nice timbre (from what I can remember years ago with a prototype from Marco inhouse).

I guess different manufacturers implement technologies differently and achieve different result based on what kind of quotient they are looking it - the FPGA whilst preferred by some for full implementation is not favored for grassroots implementation due to design functions by some others this definitely does not mean that complete non-FPGA is inferior similarly some manufacturers rebuild part of the dac modules in their terrain (few names like Hegel, and on some newer models i think M2Tech is doing the same), some use rather obscure D/A chips and build another strategy at the end of the day, whilst FPGA is a fantastic thing to have ; we shouldn't be sidelined from the goal of going for what works best in a given situation - science is a brilliant thing, but there's also something called "making it their own, and driving it home" its a part of innovation, perhaps similarly in months to come some measurements will prove the superiority of the hybrid architecture, maybe won't - it remains to be seen.

Why Music?