IGNORED

From my PC to a Behringer DEQ2496

Hello everyone!

This is my first time here! I'm writing from Chile, at the end of South America.

I need to replace my very old receiver, it just died, and to fix it is ridiculous expensive for an old piece of audio equipment.

My first idea was to buy a Behringer A500 connected to my computer via one Behringer UCA202, but later I founded the Behringer DEQ2496 that have a good DAC inside based on AKM chip plus room correction, EQ, and others functions that probably I will never use.

Now my problem is how to connect my PC Window 7, 64 bits with PCIe slots and USB ports with the DEQ2496 that have AES/EBU and Toslink ports at reasonable cheap cost. The A500 cost here $360, the DEQ2496 $520 and the UCA202 $50. The problem with the UCA202 is the bitrate, just 16/44.

I'm looking for a converter or sound card PCIe with a price similar to the UCA202 that have a bitrate at least 24/96 but with a price target lower than $100 with AES/EBU or Toslink ports compatible with the DEQ2496. I founded some USB to Toslink converters, but no idea if those cheap converters have a reasonable good sound quality. I don't have money to make experiments.

Any suggestion will be welcome!

A Peachtree X-1; Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 or M2Tech HiFace. Or a sound card such as ESi Juli@ or M-Audio 192.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The Hiface won't work because it's coax. The DEQ doesn't take coax as you know. Musical Fidelity made a 24/96 converter called just the V-Link. I'm not sure if that has Toslink, but it very likely does as their dacs have it. If you can find one of them used you'd be in good shape.

You're may be better off just getting a usb dac like the Dragonfly 2.0 or the Odac. Both are very good and $150 or less. The Odac is less. Then sell the DEQ.

Then you'll go from computer usb to dac to rca input of your amp.

Chris

Try going to Audiogon.com. They sell used equipment and some will ship internationally. Converters like the V-link are small and should ship internationally quite inexpensively.

Also the Dragonfly and Odac are so small that I'm sure if you look around you'll find someone who'll ship internationally for $20 or so. They could be shipped in a letter envelope.

Chris

Then sell the DEQ.

Chris

Why do you suggest me to sell the DEQ? I didn't bought it yet, but I loved it after see many examples of very good room correction. I use my system in my living room, as many people, and this room is very far from a good acoustics, and the WAF factor is very important here.

Hello everyone!

but later I founded the Behringer DEQ2496 that have a good DAC inside based on AKM chip plus room correction, EQ, and others functions that probably I will never use.

Because you said the above. That sounds like you got the DEQ and said you were not going to use its room correction functions. Because you're not a native English speaker your message is a little confusing.

So, now that I know what you mean. Paying $520 is way too much for a DEQ2496. I'll sell you one for $175 if you really want one (plus shipping).

These days there's a lot of software that will do room correction. For instance if you get JRiver MC for $50 it comes with room correction software and a very good PEQ. Plus there are free PEQs available, EasyQ comes to mind. In case you don't know, JRiver is the most comprehensive audiophile quality music and video playing software available for the pc.

Chris

Now my problem is how to connect my PC Window 7, 64 bits with PCIe slots and USB ports with the DEQ2496 that have AES/EBU and Toslink ports at reasonable cheap cost. The A500 cost here $360, the DEQ2496 $520 and the UCA202 $50. The problem with the UCA202 is the bitrate, just 16/44.

Are we talking about this device? The manual states that you can select the digital input format to comply with either AES3 (pro version) or S/PDIF (consumer version) and it will accept signal levels between 0.2 and 5Vss. This means you can use any sound card with S/PDIF coaxial out, you just need a cable that provides impedance matching betwen RCA (or BNC) and XLR. That might be the least expensive option.

Do you have a sound card in your computer currently? Some main boards already have an internal S/PDIF header and just need a break-out back plane adapter to be operational.

Before you invest serious money in a hardware device, you should definitely check out crisnee's idea to do DSP in software. It would increase your options of suitable D/A converters.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Because you said the above. That sounds like you got the DEQ and said you were not going to use its room correction functions. Because you're not a native English speaker your message is a little confusing.

So, now that I know what you mean. Paying $520 is way too much for a DEQ2496. I'll sell you one for $175 if you really want one (plus shipping).

These days there's a lot of software that will do room correction. For instance if you get JRiver MC for $50 it comes with room correction software and a very good PEQ. Plus there are free PEQs available, EasyQ comes to mind. In case you don't know, JRiver is the most comprehensive audiophile quality music and video playing software available for the pc.

Chris

Sorry for my bad English! This is the price for a new unit here in Chile, shipping and taxes make that any imported good here is far expensive than USA. I will investigate about JRiver MC, downloaded software don't pay shipping nor taxes, and off course $50 is a lot cheaper than the DEQ.

Are we talking about this device? The manual states that you can select the digital input format to comply with either AES3 (pro version) or S/PDIF (consumer version) and it will accept signal levels between 0.2 and 5Vss. This means you can use any sound card with S/PDIF coaxial out, you just need a cable that provides impedance matching betwen RCA (or BNC) and XLR. That might be the least expensive option.

Do you have a sound card in your computer currently? Some main boards already have an internal S/PDIF header and just need a break-out back plane adapter to be operational.

Before you invest serious money in a hardware device, you should definitely check out crisnee's idea to do DSP in software. It would increase your options of suitable D/A converters.

The DEQ ports are XLR for AES/EBU or Toslink for SPDIF, not coaxial. My computer don't have the S/PDIF header.

Sorry for my bad English! This is the price for a new unit here in Chile, shipping and taxes make that any imported good here is far expensive than USA. I will investigate about JRiver MC, downloaded software don't pay shipping nor taxes, and off course $50 is a lot cheaper than the DEQ.

You can get a trial version for MC. Here's a link. You can ask questions about the program in their forum.

Chris

Hi Chris,

What do you think about the Wadia 151 PowerDAC Mini Digital Integrated Amplifier? Maybe I'm loosing my time looking for a more complicated alternative. With room correction using software as you suggested me, maybe this is the best solution for me. I think that 50 watts at 8 ohms is not too much, but probably I can live with it.

Just $500 in Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Wadia-PowerDAC-Digital-Integrated-Amplifier/dp/B0038WWJDI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398141917&sr=1-1&keywords=Wadia+151+PowerDAC

Hi Chris,

What do you think about the Wadia 151 PowerDAC Mini Digital Integrated Amplifier? Maybe I'm loosing my time looking for a more complicated alternative. With room correction using software as you suggested me, maybe this is the best solution for me. I think that 50 watts at 8 ohms is not too much, but probably I can live with it.

Just $500 in Amazon.

What kind of speakers will you be using? Apparently this unit's ratings are 40 watts per channel @ 4 ohms and 25 watts @ 8 ohms. If either your speakers are very efficient (I would say 90 db or so) or you listen at low levels power wise it will be fine.

But also know what you are getting. There are only digital inputs and no outputs (no headphone or rca) except for speakers.

Besides that, Wadia makes excellent digital products, so if it matches your needs given the above, I'd get it.

Do they ship to Chile? I thought you said that was a problem.

Another solution might be a decent AVR, like Pioneer or Onkyo. They can be had for $500 or so and will offer many more options and power and will sound at least as good as the Behringer equipment you mentioned, not to mention that they'll be much more convenient.

Chris

My speakers have a sensitivity of 90 dB, then I'm OK in this point. http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/jbl/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/TechnicalSheet/N38%20ts.pdf

I no need more options because I just want to use my PC as only sound origin, I use it to play music, view movies, etc, and I don't want multichannel, just stereo. I never use headphones.

If they don't ship to Chile I can solve this with some friend help.

The only point that would be a problem is the power, sometimes I have 20 young people that want to dance (two children in the university) or 20 middle age people nostalgic for their young years and just 50 W is not enough I think...

I think you should be okay with the power. I had 90 db sensitivity speakers with a 10 watt per channel amp and they played loud enough in a medium size room without straining. Unless your music room is quite large I think 25 watts per channel with the JBL's should be fine.

Chris

My living room is 5 x 5 meters. What do you think? This is 15 x 15 feet app.

My room is 4 x 5 meters approximately, the ceiling is 3.2 meters. How high is your ceiling?

What kind of music do you listen to mostly? If you favor heavy bass, it's probably not powerful enough. Or if you want to play it very loud when you have a party it's probably not powerful enough.

I wish I could tell you. For me it would be fine, but I don't give parties and don't listen to loud bass heavy music. For medium loud full music of all kinds it should be fine in your size room (as long as your ceiling isn't really high).

Chris

The ceiling is 2.5 meters. I listen rock, blues, jazz. Many with loud heavy bass, like Rush in Rio concert, one of my favorites. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2l6tk-Q9VU

My JBLs have very good bass, at least for me, maybe this help. I never feel that I need a subwoofer.

Someone suggested me to buy the Wadia for normal use, and in the future to buy the Alto TS 115 W wireless active speakers for parties, with the advantage that you can install those anyplace. I don't do so many parties to justify a special system for that use.

I'm sorry to say, but I think you should look for something else. Something like a used Nad integrated amp, and one of the dacs I mentioned earlier. I don't know what's available down your way, so I won't make anymore suggestions. But something with at least a good solid 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

The other option is to see if you can borrow a 25 watt per channel amp from a friend or a hi-fi shop and try it in your place. Of course if you have the extra cash you can always buy the Wadia and sell it if you find it inadequate.

Chris

BTW, although the DEQ2496 can do a good job when used for industrial sound reinforcement and optimising speaker crossover networks etc. it is only a mediocre DAC in it's own right. I have heard one used for this purpose at a friend's place several years ago, and recently after one was used by an E.E. who used to work for DEQX, to optimise the XOvers in his old B&W 801s. My E.E. friend would most likely readily admit that there is now far better for use as a DAC in a good stereo system. He has several other DACs.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020